Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elton John is better than the Beatles.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 641 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 27, 2012 8:38:08 PM PST
Hinch says:
I'm not saying there's not a comparison. I can hear them in his music, but on these forums lately, you can see anyone compared with anyone.

lol!

I think it started with "name 10 bands better than the Beatles". Like I always say. better and best are based on opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 9:27:02 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 12:34:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 9:40:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 9:41:28 PM PST
Hinch says:
>being with women doesn't mean he wasn't gay.<

Very true, except it might be he was bisexual, not gay, but for me there is no difference. You're either gay or you're not.

>There is such a thing as bisexuality, which I believe Lennon was<

Based on what?
I wouldnt believe it just because May Pang said so.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 10:48:43 PM PST
G. Mariner says:
The Kinks are the best band ever.Ray Davies out-wrote the Beatles.Best song ever was Waterloo Sunset.What have the Beatles done that was better than this gem.NOTHING!
-------------------------------

Ray Davies was/is a phenomenal song writer but how about these gems:

Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Eleanor Rigby
Nowhere Man

Just to name a few.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 11:00:19 PM PST
Micky says:
I bet Lennon and Elton got on real well. Lennon was always a closet case anyway, and he was in love with Brian Epstein.
--------------------------------

More like Lennon wasn't a bigot and was self-confident in who he was. I wish more straight guys could be like that. I guess many of 'em are content with pretending to be macho and are too afraid to be themselves. Lennon didn't have that problem. Why are you so afraid of someone's sexual orientation? I don't get it. Could it be that you're trying your best to cover up your real sexual orientation by lambasting straight men that have no problem with gay guys? I wonder......

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 11:08:14 PM PST
Actually some of Elton's stuff sounds like a corny novelty though. Take "Crocodile Rock" for instance. "The Beatles" later material certainly sound more mature and intellectual when compared to that(Not counting the Yellow Submarine soundtrack).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 11:12:23 PM PST
Hinch says:
Metalhead Jay

Great post! As I said before, if Lennon had been gay, I believe he would have been at the forefront of the gay rights movment. He was very outspoken and didn't mind standing up for anything else he believed in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 11:56:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 12:35:29 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 11:59:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 12:35:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 12:09:43 AM PST
Hinch says:
>he could have been at the forefront of it even without being gay<

You are correct. One didn't need to be black to support civil rights, or maybe he didn't like gays. Most of us born over 20 years ago were raised not to. He was friends with both Bowie and Elton, although Elton hadn't "come out" at that time, and Bowie claimed to be gay at the time to be fashionable.

Also, one cant be at the forefront of every movement, but if he was gay, it would have been more important to him.

It's been over 30 years since John died. We'll most likely never know. I don't really care.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 3:03:57 AM PST
D. Morrison says:
Elton John, better than The Beatles? You are kidding aren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 3:26:58 AM PST
Give me the Beatles, anytime.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 3:36:47 AM PST
DKPete says:
How about this...with rare exception, he was better (and certainly more consistent) than the EX-Beatles (I'm speaking strictly of the seventies).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 4:16:49 AM PST
R. I. Carter says:
Elton did not write many of the songs. Bernie Taupin wrote most of the lyrics, and Elton supposedly added the music afterwards, and separately - so don't get too carried away about his song-writing skills.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 9:37:06 AM PST
Zerohouse says:
RE DKPete: "With rare exception.." Sorry but Elton had a run of great albums/singles that ended arguably with "Rock of the Westies" or perhaps "Captain Fantastic.." While the individual Beatles did release material of varying qualities, overall, they run the table as compared to EJ. Both Lennon & McCartney released several seminal classic albums with "Band on the Run" and "Imagine" being the most remembered now. George Harrison's solo career began with the Phil Spector produces masterpiece "All Things Must Pass." That release alone would blunt all of EJ's releases, but he also followed that with "Living in the Material World" another masterpiece. It's not fair really to compare Ringo's solo work to EJ but his "Ringo" album compares favorably to most of EJ's albums except "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" his one true masterpiece. After 1977 Elton John began a downward spiral that saw such mediocre and just plain crappy releases with "Victim of Love" being the bottom of the bottom. Really, a disco version of "Johnny B. Goode?" He gradually got his groove back, but none of his albums since "Blue Moves" have really been as good as the early batch. "2 Low 4 Zero" may be the best of the "post-crash era" but his main strength since the '80's has been his string of hit singles from the mid-80's into the early 90's. It's not that the albums are bad, just not as inventive which is what usually happens to pop artists like EJ. He still puts on a great live show but having seen him in his prime beginning with the "Honky Chateau" era tour, it's just entertainment, not great rock and roll. That can't be said of the solo Beatles and since we are down to two, it's heartening that both McCartney and Ringo are releasing new material that can still be engaging if not terribly original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 10:36:34 AM PST
DKPete says:
R.I. Carter...have you any idea the level of talent it takes to write a well flowing, effective melody to pre-written lyrics???!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 10:46:57 AM PST
DKPete says:
Zerohouse..sorry, I disagree (and I'm as huge and dedicated a Beatles fan as there can possibly be). However, while there WERE a small handfull of excellent albums by the former Beatles, the key word-on the whole- was inconsistency. I think that Plastic Ono Band, Imagine ATMP, Ram and Band On The Run are five of the best albums to come from major Rock artists period..from ANY era. That said, they were put out between three people. What Elton John did in the same time frame as the solo Beatles "heyday" (1970-1977, roughly) carried more weight in my opinion.

Some may disagree, especially, in the case of Paul McCartney...but where Paul excelled consistently was in singles (as did Elton). Most of his albums, while they all had some level of redeeming good moments, had huge inconsistencies within them. Again, I'm speaking of one specific period...from the late seventies, onwards, EJ had his downfall like the best of them..the eighties were not very kind to the MVP's of the seventies.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 10:50:00 AM PST
Hey Pete ! You are kiddin', ain't you ? Before start comparing who's the best. Lissen Beatles Live. Lissen to Elton Live. Pretty different. Ain't it _/)..

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 11:04:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 12:21:47 PM PST
ronct says:
What makes it difficult to compare these 2 artists is that they came out in different eras of popular music. I also personally feel most artist are filled with an abundance of inspiration (if they have talent) when they first start out and then the creative wells begin to dry. Elton was just blossoming in the 70's when the Beatles had already stopped working as a band. Maybe it would be more logical to compare Elton's late 70's and 80's material to the Beatles solo releases (of the 70's) as this would be the period right after the initial creative period of all parties. If that were the case then the solo Beatles still had deeper wells of creativity in which to siphon from than Elton.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 11:36:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 11:36:31 AM PST
DKPete says:
Jose..kidding about what?? Can you be specific?? What are you referring to in terms of "live"??? I didn't say a thing about "live"...and I can't...noone can...we're talking about two totally different eras, technologically...so, again...what are you referring to??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 11:40:24 AM PST
DKPete says:
hey ronct. Interesting way to look at it. I think I only threw the Ex-Beatles in this whole thing half jokingly. While I called EJ the closest thing to The Beatles of the seventies, I wasn't really making any points on who was better (ronct..c'mon now..you know where my heart lies :) )...but even to bring in the post-Beatles stuff..your perspective is very interesting, indeed..and actually makes more sense.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 11:49:05 AM PST
Rico says:
I think Elton would find this discussion funny. The Beatles opened so many doors for other artists, Elton included, that it is difficult to comprehend, especially for anyone who wasn't around when they were putting out their records. Hearing their music decades later amongst all the acts they influenced and calling any of these bands superior is understandable but is more a result of a skewed perspective than anything else. They both made great, timeless music but to discount the Beatles influence is laughable. Nuff said.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 1:05:38 PM PST
Yawn... The Beatles were good, Elton John at his best is good. Some prefer the former, some the latter. Who cares? Personally, I play Elton John more often than I play The Beatles, but that´s me. Music is, as always, subjective. Enjoy what you enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 2:11:18 PM PST
barbW says:
All you can do is compare the song sheets. Perhaps, it's whose songs are covered by the best performers since, or covered by the best jazz improvisers?

Performance styles and singing ability and production/arrangements are generally confined to categories of the listener's personal preferences.

Is "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word" a better song than "Honey Pie" for a musician to perform? Which one is all attitude? I mean, is it so subjective?

Is "Here, There and Everywhere" a better song than "Border Song" for a musician to perform? Is it so subjective? One is all attitude again, and very little music. Just rank the amount of musical info in each one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 2:13:15 PM PST
barbW says:
Which Ray Davies songs measure up?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  140
Total posts:  641
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions