Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elvis Presley

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 9, 2012 6:25:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 6:27:59 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 6:34:57 AM PDT
Snobbery is, as snobbery does, D. Mok. Have a good day! :)

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 6:49:07 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> To me that's like crediting Tori Amos' rapist for inspiring her first album.

Tori Amos' first album had *nothing* to do with her experience as a rape victim. Her *second* album, Little Earthquakes, had exactly one song about that experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 7:34:01 AM PDT
Severin says:
Most people consider "Little Earthquakes" her first real album, "Y Kant Tori Read" was a first attempt at fame without Tori's control. It's basically corporate synth pop. But this is beside the point, you're nitpicking. The reference was to Yoko getting credit for the music the solo Beatles made. They were always better as a group than as solo artists, don't you think? Are there any Lennon Beatles tracks that you like?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 7:45:03 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Donald

"Little Earthquakes" was her first album. "Y Kant Tori Read" was the self-titled album by the band she fronted before she recorded under her name.

She doesn't even want to be associated with it now. I haven't heard it, but it must be pretty bad.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:12:19 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> Are there any Lennon Beatles tracks that you like?

"Norwegian Wood"'s not bad, but it's good only because of George Harrison's sitar. "Come Together" has a decent rhythm, but smug nonsense lyrics that aim at wit and achieve none (just like "Give Peace a Chance"). "Dear Prudence" is pretty good. But "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" makes me vomit. "I Am the Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun", "Ballad of John and Yoko", "Nowhere Man", "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"...it's like garbage-collection day. All the best Beatles songs were written mostly by Paul McCartney or Harrison: "Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road", "Hey Jude", "Yesterday", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Piggies", "Get Back", "Michelle".

And Y Kant Tori Read was about as much of a band as The Juliana Hatfield Three or PJ Harvey: Not much different from a solo artist with backing musicians.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:49:39 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
All the best Beatles songs were written mostly by Paul McCartney or Harrison

---

That's one opinion. Some of what I consider the "best" Beatles songs would be:

Ticket To Ride
The Word
And Your Bird Can Sing
Tomorrow Never Knows
A Day In The Life
Baby You're A Rich Man
All You Need Is Love
Across The Universe
Hey Bulldog
Revolution
Glass Onion
I Want You (she's so heavy)

Among others, but, these are a few that I've come to know and love in exploring the Beatles' music. But alas, none of these have any merit. Dead weight in the Beatles catalog.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:54:01 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> But alas, none of these have any merit. Dead weight in the Beatles catalog.

Precisely.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 9:02:52 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I think you might get some debate on that. Not from me though! I'm already down a leg here...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 9:08:34 AM PDT
Severin says:
It's true that Lennon sometimes wrote nonsense lyrics and admitted it. Such songs include 'Come Together,' 'Give Peace A Chance' (the verses) and 'I Dig A Pony.' But I think such songs as 'I Am the Walrus,' 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Nowhere Man' are Beatles classics.

The song 'Rain' was the B-side of 'Paperback Writer' (a McCartney song) and I thought it was much better than the A-side, it has a depth that the A-side doesn't have. It's a statement of the English mindset and attitudes versus another character sketch. Anyway I think the team of Lennon/McCartney was always better than their solo work. They not only sometimes collaborated but they competed and assisted each other. Without their partner each of them lacked the critical analysis that made the group songs so great.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 9:15:31 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
"Without their partner each of them lacked the critical analysis that made the group songs so great."

---

Donald -- That's probably the most concise and accurate assessment of the Lennon/McCartney dynamic that I've read. Well put.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 9:15:44 AM PDT
Severin says:
Hinch, I have a 1992 bootleg copy of "Y Kant Tori Read" and it's not the worst thing I even heard but not very memorable either. Only 1 song really sounded like her usual style. She wrote half of the 10 songs herself and co-wrote the other 5, 4 of those 5 with Kim Ballard. It's obvious that Tori isn't calling the shots here. You can check out her first video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94zp7pq65Rg

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 12:50:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 12:55:00 PM PDT
Donald, I couldn't agree more about the lyrics to those Beatles songs, in particular 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. It's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out. It doesn't matter much to me." Abstract lyrics with such profound meaning. One reason why this will always be a classic song...

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 12:56:22 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I learned quite a few years ago.....never argue with someone who knows everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 1:01:29 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I believe Y KANT TORI READ is pretty expensive now. Thanks for the link.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 1:05:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 1:21:35 PM PDT
I, too know better Hinch. But I sometimes can not resist taking the Troll/Cyber-bully bait. :)

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 1:28:02 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> never argue with someone who knows everything.

Such as John Lennon and John Lennon fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 1:58:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 2:00:45 PM PDT
In all seriousness Hinch, besides just ignoring the Troll/Cyber-bully attacks, what other methods can be used in a thread to prevent the communal discussion from being compomised?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:00:29 PM PDT
If you own "Sun Sessions" and "Gospel" you've got Elvis's best. His voice never failed him, it's just the musical choices he made after the 1950's were far too safe and you can often tell he was bored.

I like some performances of "Unchained Melody", "Something", "You Were Always On My Mind", and "Suspicious Minds" but just not enough to have any of them on my mp3 player. Scott Walker was even better at those sorts of songs and few people remember him today.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:14:45 PM PDT
Severin says:
You can always talk about billy goats and life under bridges.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:19:23 PM PDT
Thanks Donald, you gave me my best laugh of the day!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 2:44:08 PM PDT
Severin says:
That first Tori video is like watching a train wreck, you can't take your eyes off it. Even though she looks like any other '80s wannabe you can tell that she has talent.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 3:23:03 PM PDT
The first time I saw a Tori video, all I could think of was why did she sit so "uniquely" on the piano bench. I had no clue how talented she was and what an accomplished singer-songwriter and composer she would become.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 3:27:11 PM PDT
DKPete says:
keeping score, are we??

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 3:45:47 PM PDT
DKPete, do you know anything about eHarmony.com or Match.com? I'm thinking that if we can bring Elvis Fan and D. Mok together, this thread will have a peaceful unity for the very first time. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  2079
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions