Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 224 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:57:16 AM PST
stevign says:
I'll have to plead ignorance, during the cassette years I wasn't buying much music and when I did it wasn't cassettes. After the mid-70s I lost interest in most Rock music, it became too formulaic (Boston, Journey, Nebraska, etc) and I didn't like Disco, New Wave or Punk.

[Wiki]
"Between the early 1970s and the late 1990s, the cassette was one of the two most common formats for prerecorded music, first alongside the LP record and later the Compact Disc."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:31:32 AM PST
Chazzzbo says:
stevign - This is exactly what Tom Scholz (Boston) went to war over in his deal with Sony/CBS. Musician magazine had a serious in-depth report on it many years ago. Made for very fascinating reading...sadly, Scholz never produced anything of the quality of the first album ever again, basically negating his arguments.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:07:22 AM PST
I think 1 album a year was the norm at one time but not for the past 20 years or so. I know that most bands in the 60's and early 70's were contracted for 2 to 3 albums per year. If you remember Boston and their 2nd album, Don't Look Back. Their label, Epic, sued Boston for not delivering the album on time. Boston took over 2 years to release the album and back then it felt like an eternity. Todays contracts with large labels contain numbers and years but they are much different than in the past. 3 albums in 10 years is quite normal today. Most successful bands are putting records out on their own labels now. Digital music has changed this buisness forever. Thats my 2 cents...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:57:28 PM PST
stevign says:
You mean Boston actually produced something of quality?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:01:46 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I know that most bands in the 60's and early 70's were contracted for 2 to 3 albums per year."

Wow, I would have thought 2 at the most. Thanks Dan.

re: "Thats my 2 cents..."

Call me extravagant but I would say it was worth at least a nickel......and not one of those plugs or wooden ones either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:30:31 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
How about these great acts from Boston: Aerosmith,Cars,Del Fuegos,J.Geils Band,Pixies,Mission of Burma,Joan Baez and more.This should more than make up for the lack of quality that came from the band Boston.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:32:26 PM PST
Chazzzbo says:
Haha...I said of the quality of the first album...obviously, it's all a matter of taste

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:54:06 PM PST
stevign says:
Boston, Aerosmith, Cars, Del Fuegos, Pixies, Mission of Burma? No thanks, neither did I care for the likes of AC/DC, Kiss, Guns & Roses or anything Grunge. ((shudder)). Joan Baez had talent but I never really liked her her singing. That being said, I do own and like her album "Any Day Now" which is all Dylan songs. The first two J. Geils Band albums kicked some serious ass, a great combination of Blues & Rock; after that they changed and I was less than impressed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:03:02 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "Haha...I said of the quality of the first album...obviously"

Obviously. ;~)

re: "it's all a matter of taste"

And musicianship....and originality......and compelling melodies......and lyrics.....and infectious rhythms. Some are obviously better at it than others, no matter what a listeners taste is.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:26:49 PM PST
ronct says:
I am a child of the 60's and I have moved away from albums for the most part. I suppose if I had a long commute I may listen to them more. I do listen to them when sampling new releases on Rhapsody music streaming service and if I happen to be doing a task I may get to listen to the whole album. My attention span and the lack of diversity in the music of most artist makes it difficult for me to listen to many artist all the way through. I prefer to put the music into an mp3 player and use the shuffle feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:15:56 PM PST
Hinch says:
I bought a few cassettes, but most of the cassettes I own were recorded off the radio or from my collection of albums, or from albums I borrowed from friends.

The local FM rock station played a complete album every night at midnight and 3 on Friday night.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:20:52 PM PST
Hinch says:
Lol!

I consider the first Boston album one of the worst albums ever. The first song was the best on the album. It was listenable. Each song was progressively worse.

Of course I know that's just my opinion and many loved that album. I never listened to another of their albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:23:10 PM PST
Hinch says:
The Cars, Joan Baez and J Geils are the only ones I like.

ANY DAY NOW was the album that got me interested in Joan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:33:22 AM PST
stevign says:
Which J Geils Band, the 1st two albums or the rest? Back in the late 60s and early 70s I noticed that sometimes a band's 3rd album was their turning point, either they changed their style (Blues/Rock to more Pop/Rock) or their songs were just not nearly as interesting. It's as if they only had 2 really "good" albums in them. I can't fault them for it, I can't write worth a damn and being an artist and always pumping out really good art is an impossible task.

Here are a few examples of what I call the "3rd Album Curse" in where bands began their sudden decline:

The J. Geils Band - "Live" Full House (1972)

Steppenwolf - At Your Birthday Party (1969)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III (1970)

Poco - From the Inside (1971)

The Doors - Waiting for the Sun (1968)

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Shady Grove (1969)

Canned Heat - Living the Blues (1968)

Traffic - Last Exit (1969)

Johnny Winter - Second Winter (1969)

Loggins and Messina - Full Sail (1973)

Santana - Santana III (1971)

Heads Hands & Feet - Old Soldiers Never Die (1973)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:49:37 AM PST
I remember compilation albums going for sixty minutes, 30 minutes per side.
I think 30 minutes was the limit for a vinyl side.
Most albums are easier to listen to if their running time isn't longer than 40-45 minutes in my view.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:50:49 AM PST
stevign,

You still have your Madonna collection to fall back on...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:52:48 AM PST
The 120 minutes blank tapes were handy for making your own compilations.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:54:09 AM PST
robgab says:
If im not rushing somewhere im always listening to an album in its entirety. Im 21 and I can't stand how it seems that kids my age dont realize that music is art. Its all about the bass or lyrics with them. My favorite bands are tool, nine inch nails, and radiohead; but I only have one or two friends that don't find these artists "boring". It just saddens me that it is so hard for me to find someone with a shared appreciation for music as an art form.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:12:27 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
To me the 1st album is a culmination of yrs of writing songs and playing them live and in making demos.They know what they like,what works and enjoy how those songs have grown to be who they are.So a newly signed band has a mass catalog to choose from.If that 1st album happens to be popular or garners a second album then the artist/band has to come up with new material asap.Unless they have a stock pile to pick from(Doors)then it seems to me that the sophomore jinx comes into effect.The artist/band is short on songs and or are rushed to put out an inferior product as the public and or record company demands immediate gratification and this album can suck bigtime!By the time for the 3rd album if it is warranted this artist/band is becoming more experienced with the process.They then sometimes come up with a more mature and all round product that identifies with who this artist/band are or will become.They might go on if the public enjoys what the artist/band puts out and they love the $ or they might discontinue or become obscure because they don't like who they've become and don't care what the public thinks.All sorts of scenarios occur.We've seen them all and they can be bewildering and make us wonder "what the hell is going on"and or" I really liked those guys".Stevign that's quite a list of killer albums you got there.Many of them helped shape my musical tastes and I can still enjoy them to this day.You do your homework very well indeed!Thanks for your very well rounded posts with feeling and those points that you put in from your experiences with a bit of bizarre humor.I welcome your input on this and keep up the good work.It is very satisfying isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:30:52 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Well Robgab you've come to right place...enjoy man!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:42:30 AM PST
. says:
Your friends may find them boring because those are bands who add a lot of sonic textures to their recordings that are easily missed if you don't have the attention span to immerse yourself in a piece of music (an art in itself).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:04:49 AM PST
DKPete says:
Very eloquently stated Mr. Gazzo.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:10:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:20:12 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
I'm in the midst of playing the following consecutively:

TSO Christmas Eve and Other Stories
TSO The Christmas Attic
TSO- The Lost Christmas Eve
Andrea Bocelli My Christmas
Windham Hill Artists A Winter's Solstice: Windham Hill Artists

I play complete album releases at home more often than other play select options, and more mixes in the car. Never AM nor FM unless I want to hear sports or other talk, and that's a rarity. I cannot stand commercial music radio except the classical public station on very rare occasion. There's an FM station here in the Twin City metro area that broadcasts Christmas music beginning on Thanksgiving Friday through December 25, about 3 commercials to 1 or 2 song(s). I tuned it in last night driving to a gathering only to hear about 8 seconds of the ONE Christmas song I can't tolerate at all. I won't reveal which it is, however, it's in my mind like an ear-worm, and can't exorcise it.

We all have our own listening habits, and they're all correct. I find they will also develop over time. Just keep listening and supporting the artists of your choices. After over 50 years of purchasing music on numerous formats, quality music still moves me more than I can communicate.

All the best today. Call someone who's significant in your life. Today. Show them you care, and you'll be the one who'll feel GREAT!

Party hard, yet safely.

All the best,
GT

PS-Sorry for the fuzzed-up links. Corrected above.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:20:16 PM PST
Hinch says:
Bernard, I tried a few 120 min tapes. They had a habit of breaking or tangling in the player mechanism. Maybe because thinner tape was used so the longer tape would fit inside the cassette.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:05:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:08:49 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Stevign:

Good points, and I mostly agree with you. I'm not familiar with all the artists' catalogs you mentioned, however some artists didn't start getting interesting until their third album. Examples:

1-Simon and Garfunkel (Paul Simon). If we count The Paul Simon Songbook, released slightly after Wednesday Morning, 3 AM, in England, as it's contents were songs that appeared on the first 3 S & G albums in their infancy, his 3rd release was Sounds of Silence. SOS was their breakout album, not a backward step. Parsley,..., Bookends, and Bridge ... followed, each better than the previous album.

2-Led Zeppelin. Their III album found the band adding acoustic and slow blues numbers, but they still delivered their heavy sound. IV followed, and Houses... was more refined, Graffiti delivered all their styles, and In Through... also had some heavy and "poppy" work. III was the first LZ album I bought, and is still my personal fave along with LZ II, which stands as my all-time fave LZ work.

3-Traffic. Your post prompted me to spin Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. The band morphed several times during their existence, all phases compelling to me. Their only albums that didn't really move me was Eagle When It Flies and the live ones. John Barleycorn is their strongest all through for me of that period. Glad. Freedom Rider. Empty Pages. Wow! My very fave Traffic album of all time is Far From Home.

4-The Doors. How can we overlook Morrison Hotel and LA Woman and say they aren't up to The Doors and Strange Days? Sorry, Stevign, but no sale here.

5-Bruce Springsteen. Didn't hardly get interesting until album #3-Born To Run. Although, I do love a few tracks on Wild, Innocent...

6-The Who. Many friends on these threads point to their third album, Sell Out, as their all-time fave. Mine would likely be Tommy, Next, Quad, or Numbers. Oh, not really, as it's Live At Leeds.

7-The Beatles. Release #3 in England was A Hard Day's Night, and we all know what came after.

8-Stones. Release #3 was NOW, actually a fave of mine, just not the world's. Release #4 was Out Of Our heads, which here in the USA, included a new song with a new sound-Satisfaction.

9-Moody Blues. release #3 was In Search of the Lost Chord. Numerous great albums followed.

10-Santana. I agree with you. Carlos ceased being very interesting to me after III except for a few assorted songs. If you haven't, score their 2-cd Live at the Fillmore, 1968 From The Vaults. It points to greatness about to be unleashed to the non-San Francisco public. Very exciting, IMO. Conquistadore Rides Again.

11-Ozark Mountain Daredevils.Had one-and-a-half good albums in them. Their first is timeless and OUTSTANDING. Jackie Blue is a good song, and a few tracks off albums #2 and 3 were so-so. I gave up afterwards.

More examples are there for both sides. I will cede that styles may have morphed somewhat around album 3, yet some artists can't win if they went a new direction, some fans and press would alternately shred and praise them, and some artists stayed true to their styles, and were praised and shredded also.
Bob Dylan is a good example.

All this to say, I agree with you somewhat, but it's a little hard IMO to paint all artists with the same wide brush.

Hope your night's great,

GT
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions