Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: Most overated band of all time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:50:30 PM PDT
The Wailers? One dimensional.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:50:48 PM PDT
Bwich'd says:
Iceblossom..
I respect the fact that you're not obligated to "love" the Beatles. If you just like them casually, that's cool. Or even if you didn't like them..whatever. (not that you need my consent to do either.)

But you can't call them a 'boy band'. Boy bands generally don't play instruments or write material, or assemble and arrange themselves. The Beatles became friends and assembled themselves through love of music. Boy bands are often strangers, assembled by a producer. Have material given to them, already arranged for the purpose of selling records/tshirts/posters.

Also, they did a lot and grew a lot in between 'Hold your hand' and the White Album.
I'm not a Beatles freak trying to win people over, either.
I wasn't born until after they broke up, but since the day I was brought home from the hospital, I was listening to my older brothers/sisters music. Largely the Beatles.
Yet, there are times myself when I'm just not in the 'mood'.

But are they overrated? Depends on who's rating them. Maybe over commercialized by pop-culture/society.
They were my first musical love, so it's hard to be objective.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:53:00 PM PDT
Alt9999 says:
Aren't the Beatles, along with maybe Elvis, the one artist/band who is beyond ranking and rating? Isn't their chapter in the history books already written?

And overrated by who? Fans? Critics? Everyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:53:04 PM PDT
Janice Roman says:
DKPete

Actually, yes i do think they are overrated, however, i do not ignore the massive cultural influence they have made, I would be a fool if i did. but, at the same time, i cant see what is so great about the band. Perhaps its because they arent my type of music (My favorite bands are Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath). To sum it all up, I guess that the beatles really arent my "cup of tea". That is why I think they are indeed overrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:03:59 PM PDT
You do realize Janice that Ozzy Osbourne is absolutely obsessed with the Beatles.

Some might argue that the metal you listen to began with "Helter skelter".

Iceblossom, your point about the white album is exactly the point of the Beatles.

They created the situation where "Revolution 9" was possible.

It was their stretching of the boundaries that created the circumstances that allowed a lot of music that otherwise might have never been created, to be allowed an audience.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:07:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 5:11:00 PM PDT
Janice

I too like Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. And Dream Theater, Symphony X, Judas Priest, Hawkwind, Queensryche etc. But I also love The Beatles, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Who, Yes. Well, I love music. A lot of music. Why do they have to be ranked anyway? It's not as if there's going to be a national championship game or anything. And I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion on the subject, just taking part in the discussion, but while many young people do love The Beatles and the other bands of their era, I think there is just something missing in it for people who didn't experience the times. I enjoy a lot of contemporary bands, but I'm not in touch with the music scene of today as well as someone who is in their teens or twenties. We connect with what we know.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:08:55 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
ya, i saw a picture in a PM book that had him and Ozzy together. Paul didn't look very happy about it though. They are so opposite of each other. Paul's a vegetarian, and Ozzy is biting the heads off of bats. See my point!!!!

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:09:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 5:11:07 PM PDT
MC

that was a good one LOL.

Janice

As a Beatle freak my entire life, I have to accept your opinion. everyone has opinions on music. I was a teenager in 1964. I lived thru the Mania, the Hoppla and I loved ever minute of it. Maybe you didn't. You can see their progress with every lp. They changed the way music was played on the radio and every kid in America wanted to be one. Besides, Elvis(there really is only one) the Beatles had the most impact on teenagers during that the 60's period. When their music changed, our lives changed and so did other artists styles. Bob Dylan also changed America at the time and so did the Motown sound. i loved listening to Radio back then cause you never knew what was coming on, A soul Song, a Brit Invasion song, a folk song,a garage band song, Elvis, the 4 seasons, Motown , the Rascals or even Louis Armstrong. I pulled the covers over my head and listened to the transitor radio every night. Today, I can't even put the radio on. I'm glad I have friends at Amazon who share their music with me. Yeah, I Listen and learn everyday about new music, but my heart always goes back to when I was young and dumb, Free as a Bird and knew every song by every artist word for word. Thanks to the Beatles for bringing MY youth to the greatest High in the world. That be wonderful Music.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:10:32 PM PDT
Janice Roman says:
As I said, i don't ignore the massive impact that they left on society, but all of the crittical acclaim that the beatles have gotten, in my opinion, they really dont deserve. when i say that, i mean the beatles arent good enough to have about 65 songs on rolling stones 500 greatest songs list, or to have sold millions upon millions of records. I believe the commercial success was a bit misplaced by fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:10:59 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Actually I called them a "boy band made good". I realize a lot of things have changed since 1960 and now and that later boy bands have been deliberately created and used many Beatles merchandising mechanics.

And, since you fixated on the "boy band" thing, please look where I said nice things in the same post about the beatles in term of their own desires for musical change and writing abilities.

But let's take off the rose colored glasses of today and look at 1960 --

Who were the Beatles first fans? Girls. Teen Girls. It wasn't cool dope smoking long haireds or beatniks or whatever. Now, it is true that Beatlemania came on at the right time and the right place and that they crossed male/female and other demographic lines. But when you look at concert footage, when you look at news footage of them coming into towns etc., who do you see in the audience? Thousands and thousands of teen girls. That equals boy band.

Ok, matching outfits. Yes, times were different back then and a lot of bands had their outfits (some because of the Beatles and not the other way around) but right there that's a boy band thing. They outgrew it -- or they outsold their managements opposition into letting them show their individuality.

Lunchboxes and toy dolls. Boy band/marketing to tween/teen girls all the way. For those that were alive back then and in school, honestly, raise your hand if you had a Beatles lunch box and actually used it and then tell me if you are male or female.

They grew and changed and because of their success they were allowed to change and that change was embraced. But when most people/guys get all misty and talk about "the beatles" with the reverence in their voices it is not about their early work. That's pretty much dismissed. It's all Sgt. Pepper, etc. later work just before they broke up.

I think the Beatles chosing to break up while they were still big is a large part of their mystique. Had they continued bickering between each other and having less and less a cohesive sound and issued a couple of mediocre records before calling it quits, oh sure, they'd still have fans. But leaving on a high note is the way to go :) I wish more bands would take the cue.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:13:07 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
Like Rand Stoner just said, Why do they have to be ranked? We all know that they are ( all) good in someway. I don't like most of metal, but alot of people do, but i love the Beatles, BUT alot of people don't. But really, who cares?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:15:59 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Buck --

Again, I'm giving them credit for their growth and change and acknowledging that their growth and change did indeed change the musical scene in general.

But I'm also saying that being allowed to do that was based on their huge "boy band" success. Without that first, they would not have had the opportunity.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:18:26 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
Here is a good example. The way you like or love Black Sabbath is the way i so love the Beatles. I personally can't stand Black Sabbath, but i don't put deni that they are good in their own way.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:19:21 PM PDT
Here's a question that i think needs asking : What do you think would have happened to rock n roll without the Beatles ?

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:20:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 5:21:52 PM PDT
Everybody! "Everything is beautiful, in it's own way." Sorry! Beauty is in the eye, and the ear of the beholden, and the beholder.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:21:12 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
rock n roll? without the beatles? down the toilet, flushed away, never to be seen again!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:22:03 PM PDT
Book Lady -

my point exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:22:50 PM PDT
Janice Roman says:
Rand

I love Pink Floyd, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Genesis, Blue Oyster Cult, Steve Miller Band, and such. I'm also not saying that you should "rank" the bands you love, i'm simply curious to see what people have to say about this sort of topic.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:23:38 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
glad at least YOU understand Robert!

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:27:12 PM PDT
Please Please Me
A Day In The Life
I Am The Walrus
In My Life
Yesterday
Day Tripper
Hey Jude
Across The Universe
Birthday
Julia
Here Comes The Sun
Let It Be
Get Back
If I Needed Someone
Taxman
Come Together
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
No Reply
I'm A Loser
I'll Follow The Sun
She's A Woman
Revolution
I've Just Seen A Face
I Feel Fine
Lady Madonna
Back In The USSR
She's Leaving Home
Ticket To Ride
All You Need Is Love
Strawberry Fields Forever

Need I say more?

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:28:51 PM PDT
Janice Roman says:
The bottom line is that yes, people do have their own opinions, and we should respect their opinions, but as Rand said, beauty is (in this case) in the ear of the beholder, and I didnt make this thread to argue with anyone or anything, but to have a good conversation about the beatles, and i do agree that the beatles played a major part in every single music genre known to man, but I still believe that the band themselves are overrated, in my opinion. Their songs just dont have a taste to me.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:30:48 PM PDT
Iceblossom, you talk about the "merchandising mechanics", but these mechanics didn't exist before the Beatles.

They lost millions of dollars learning things the hard way, lessons that bands after them took advantage of.

For better or worse, the Beatles shaped the way music was marketed, and along with Elvis made music a legitimate career choice.

You can not discus the Beatles without discussing social context.

They made so much possible within the music industry ("Revolution 9" being an example of that) from the amount of money spent on technology, to packaging and on and on.....

When the Beatles started, the technicians at EMI were wearing white lab coats as standard uniform.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:32:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 5:33:00 PM PDT
Janice

A well rounded appreciation of music is a sign of a well rounded individual. All great bands you listed there! Music is so personal and strikes so deeply within our hearts and souls that it is very easy to take exception to someone belittling our love as such. I know that is not your intent, and I was not offended by your statement. I do find it curious that you love Pink Floyd, Genesis and Steve Miller but not The Beatles. Oh well, we both like Selling England By The Pound I imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:33:06 PM PDT
>>Their songs just dont have a taste to me.<<

I just don't buy this at all.

Jeff Lynne has based his whole career on "The Beatles sound".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:34:03 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
not me...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  365
Total posts:  1348
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions