Customer Discussions > Music forum

No offense, but Rock and Pop music suck...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 14, 2014 5:08:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 14, 2014 5:08:17 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:13:12 PM PST
Musicologist says:
The next time you have a thought just let it go...........Lame topic.....

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:29:32 AM PST
dragonfly says:
METAL RULES!!!

Pop sucks!
Alternative sucks!
Country sucks!
Rednecks suck!
HA HA!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:21:15 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Arseface:

Ho hum. Another one of Michael's castration fantasies.

As a matter of fact, I think that's the genre....alt-castration. Or is it post castration?

ed.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:58:38 AM PST
Arseface says:
There actually are absolutes. Whatever genre "Blood on the Dancefloor" belongs to is the worst genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:38:26 PM PST
E. Dill says:
<<old country is more fun than new country>>

It depends. I'd say that new country, as in alternative country/americana/roots music/no depression is as good as any form of country gets. Yes, it does have some of the elements of rock/punk/folk, but even "old country" often got popified. Can anyone say Eddy Arnold. I mean, the man is in the Country Music Hall of Fame and he was as country pop as they get.

No, when I began making lists of alt-country performers (no, I won't this time), I am amazed at what a stellar list there is. Assuming you are talking about today's pop country, you should try some of the country on the "darker" or "rootsier" side. Gram Parsons would be proud.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:28:02 PM PST
JP says:
A LOT of new country isn't country. The way 2/3 of these bands sound, if they had of been around in the 70s they would have been called Southern Rock and would be opening for for Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, Blackfoot, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 12:17:16 AM PST
coema says:
old country is more fun then new country.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:13:16 PM PST
>>And any artist/band that mentions Or alludes to God or Christianity (or any religious rhetoric) goes down like a lead ballon and won't get radio airplay.<<

Mike Nesmith is a very religious man, but he never allowed his beliefs to overtly influence his songs.

A true country/ rock pioneer who knows how to do it right.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 1:57:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 1:58:06 PM PST
...from playing their electric pianos outside the little grocery store entrances for the few customers walking in-and-out of the place between the hours of noon and 2PM, in urban Virginia, decrying the stupifying effects of drinking poisonous alcohol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:10:06 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
" ... PERSONAL friend of mine ..."

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 9:05:09 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I was thinking about doing Mike Love impressions in Vegas...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 8:21:34 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
vivazappa,

You know, you could make a ton of money writing pop songs if you'd just put your mind to it.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:38:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 6:42:23 AM PST
vivazappa says:
My take on people from different parts of the country:

Personally I like all the east coast girls...they're hip and I really dig those clothes they wear...
Southern girls you know how they talk...well they knock me out when I visit...
The mid west girls whose dads are farmers make me feel alright...(or is that all night?)
But I do wish they all could be like the chicks in California!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 4:32:46 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Ps. I don't know if you guys use rhyming slang like us Londoners but RVACountryLover sounds like a right James Blunt!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 4:26:40 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
I grew up in England and really liked the Outlaw Country movement: Steve Earle; Willy Nelson; Tony Joe White really made great music, on par with the rock we were listening to.
Bands like The Outlaws; The Eagles; Poco; Manassas that crossed between rock and country had huge followings. Right now, Americana is big business here from the commercial lite version of Fleet Foxes, Alison Krauss to the songwriting genius of Ryan Adams and The Felice Brothers.
What we can't relate to is that yucky, saccharin sweet nonsense that is leaking out of Nashville etc. And any artist/band that mentions Or alludes to God or Christianity (or any religious rhetoric) goes down like a lead ballon and won't get radio airplay.
In general, there is some extraordinary Country Music and like all genres there is a lot of complete garbage too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 12:12:07 AM PST
Hinch says:
Buck

That's how the word originated. Their necks were red from working in the sun all day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:21:03 PM PST
Isn't a redneck someone who spends a lot of time in the sun without a hat?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:07:07 PM PST
Last I checked redneck does not qualify as a race.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:09:28 PM PST
Fischman says:
After growing up in the rural west, the move to Boston was a bit of a culture shock. When I moved there, Boston had just passed New York in a survey of the "rudest" cities in America.

I immediately settled in without difficulty. The straightforward approach is most efficient and these folks don't waste time. It fit me like a glove--it's the one thing I truly miss now that I'm back in Colorado (well, that and the great seafood).

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:16:40 PM PST
Working Man says:
If by manners you mean Southerners are nice to your face and then talk about you behind your back and stab you in the back while Northerners are staight forward and you know where you stand from day one. Then I agree.

I grew up in the North and have lived in the South for 20 years now and there are nice well mannered people from the North as well as the South. Yes, rednecks are everywhere but there are good well mannered people everywhere as well. I consider myself well mannered and I ma from the North. There are differences in the way people act from different parts of this country but there are losers all over and there are plenty of great people everywhere too.

My comments about the Sourtherners being nice to your face but acting different behind your back is still a generalization, but I have seen it and there is some truth to it. It obviously does not apply to all Southerners.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:16:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 10:33:19 PM PST
<<Does that make him a liar or just ignorant of his own personality? >>>
he is regularly BOTH..

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 7:00:05 PM PST
I like the way he starts this thread with "No offense....." when it is so obvious that offending is his prime motive.

Does that make him a liar or just ignorant of his own personality?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:46:17 PM PST
As Oscar Wilde said:
"There's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:28:55 PM PST
You sound like some guy I know who always cuts down any genre of
music other than what he likes. Can't have an intelligent duscussion
with this bozo because he has a one-track mind, and is sarcastic to
top it off. No one wants to talk music with him, but he just keeps on
with the crap.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4938 58 minutes ago
Favorite Instrumental 155 1 hour ago
The Music Of Our Lives 6766 1 hour ago
Who is/was the most underated band? 58 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4083 1 hour ago
Long Careers in Music 58 2 hours ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 296 6 hours ago
Suicide Songs 219 12 hours ago
Short but impactful careers in music 70 12 hours ago
What are you listening right now? 1189 12 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4450 12 hours ago
Zappa artists 19 15 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions