Customer Discussions > Music forum

Device authorization

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 126 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2014 5:04:56 AM PDT
Completely off topic from Amazon cloud storing music for a person thats already paid for it, but whatever. Oranges/apples.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2014 4:52:16 PM PDT
traderje says:
Ha! Tell that to the RIAA :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2014 12:09:22 PM PDT
b/c he's claiming something was stolen from him. Something cant be stolen from you if you still have it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2014 4:28:32 PM PDT
traderje says:
Coltrane, your CD's might even survive EMP, I don't know.

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 4:16:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2014 4:17:19 PM PDT
Coltrane says:
I have none of these problems. I like the cd, the physical product, in hand. 800 plus cd's and the only download was the Moderus II and Mark III versions (both amateur versions which "smoked" the retail) of Metallica Death Magnetic.

When I take a trip, I load the console with cd's and I love it. People look at me funny because I'm not up to the latest and less-than-greatest technology, but I don't care. In fact that makes me happier in and of itself ;)

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 12:24:13 PM PDT
traderje says:
Chilehead, how does it matter if Allview still has it or not?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2014 12:16:41 PM PDT
I had it authorize the same computer twice also. I'm actually close to using all my slots (2 PCs, 3 ROKUs, 2 phones and a tablet), but dont imagine I'll get to 10, so I guess I'll let it slide. On the other hand, I dont like thinking I'll get denied access if it tried to authorize yet again on the same device and I'm denied.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2014 12:13:09 PM PDT
Why on earth would you care? Your comparison is nothing like the Amazon cloud. You still have all your plastic CDs right? It costs you nothing. They stole nothing.

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 12:17:14 PM PDT
Just had the same computer use up two authorizations for Cloud Player and Music Importer. Come on guys, how hard is it to tell that this is ONE device? I'm just glad that I have a single-user machine, because the headaches and workarounds for say, a family computer sound absolutely absurd.

This whole process has taken Amazon music from a painless, easy process to one that's crippled by features I neither need nor want. Way to go Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2013 12:39:04 PM PST
All Views says:
I stopped purchasing mp3s from Amazon when they effectively stole my entire library of over 1,000 HARD PLASTIC cds that I purchased or have been given over the years. I called customer service and was told Amazon was "doing me a favor" by keeping a copy of my library in the cloud. I explained that I a) had not requested such a thing and b) explicity will not permit it. The "customer service" person made it clear that Amazon didn't care what I wanted and would do whatever it wanted with my library. There's nothing comforting about knowing that my library is in Amazon's cloud. It is as if someone stole my wedding ring but I can borrow it to wear from time to time, if I get permission from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2013 5:53:31 AM PDT
traderje says:
The point isn't how many but that they have to be "registered" at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2013 11:45:30 PM PDT
BLT asked "Who has 10 different devices they can download to?"

I generally don't buy mp3s, but I've used Amazon's downloader to retrieve files from "autorip" CD purchases and the free offers they sometimes throw my way. I haven't downloaded anything in the past week, so I haven't seen these new messages. But to address BLT's question: I have 2 laptops, 1 mini, 1 desktop, and a new smartphone on the way. That's half the 10 right there. But as the years pass by, some will be upgraded/replaced. I even had a laptop stolen some years ago, necessitating a "forced" upgrade. And consider people who upgrade their phone every year. Surely you can see that some people will use up their 10 registrations relatively quickly. Therefore the real question is: Does Amazon allow you to de-register devices so that a hardware upgrade cycle doesn't affect your number of registrations?

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 8:27:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2013 8:29:29 PM PDT
ChrisSaw says:
Has anyone tried using separate virtual machines (i.e. VirtualBox) to handle multiple accounts on one physical computer? Is the only required cookie the authorizedDeviceId or do you also need to retain the dmusic_jsEnabled?

Agrees that this is a really crappy way to treat customers...but couldn't find the MusiCares version of "If I Didn't Have You" elsewhere, so sucked it up and bought anyway.

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 8:41:31 AM PDT
traderje says:
Is Bezos going to Bilderberg this year? That couldn't have anything to do with it, could it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 8:04:27 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
You can deauthorize one.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:58:09 PM PDT
We're done with AmazonMP3.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:22:13 PM PST
This is ridiculous. I'm not even sure this is allowed, but I would buy a song and my sister would log into my account and download the MP3, she has never, ever gotten a "device authorization" notice and under authorized devices, nothing is listed. However, when I log into her account and try and download and MP3 she purchased, it wants me to authorize my device to her account, which means I can no longer download from my own cloud player for 180 days?! I don't understand why she doesn't get this message, but I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 4:28:18 PM PST
Well, Amazon does two nasty things to GNU/Linux users.

They discontinued their MP3 downloader software, so you have to download from the Cloud Player, and they make us download one MP3 at a time through their cloud player.

If you buy stuff through Banshee or Amarok, then either application will take care of downloading the MP3 files in a batch and putting them in the proper folders. Amazon should be recommending Banshee or Amarok instead of telling us to deal with their crappy cloud player.

Hello? Amazon? You don't even have to maintain those programs!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 10:31:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 10:37:57 PM PST
Lost Gecko says:
To werranth413,
There are so many messages, I don't know whether anyone has already replied to your comment
"Are purchasers never backing up their songs?"

Backups are not a complete solution to the problem. I cannot backup a file that has never been received on a PC or other device. Under the new system, an MP3 purchase seems to go to Cloud first; a PC or other device cannot be authorized to receive an MP3 file purchased from Amazon, if that PC (or other device) has been shared by multiple users, multiple Amazon customers.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:29:54 PM PST
traderje says:
It is NOT for the customer, bottom line.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:42:51 AM PST
werranth 413,
My daughter and I had both been downloading music onto my computer from separate accounts for probably about a year, maybe a little more. We hadn't had any problems switching back and forth between our accounts. Sign in, sign out, wash rinse repeat. Until one day in October, I signed into my account and bought another song. Just like I had been. I went to download it, and it told me I couldn't, because my computer was authorized to a different account. My daughter's account. So I figure fine, I'll reauthorize it to my account. However, it told me I couldn't switch the authorization back for another 180 days. If I buy music digitally, it's because I want to listen to it now, not 180 days later. If I wanted to, it would let me listen to it through the cloud, but I buy my music to put on an mp3 player for work, and putting my PC in my pocket is just not practical:) I have never used the cloud player, I have no desire to use it. All I want is access to download my music when I buy it. If I hadn't previously downloaded all my music purchases prior to when amazon made this change, I would have lost access to it for the 180 days. I've read all your posts, and you say many many times that people should be backing up their purchases. I absolutely agree. But that isn't the problem, it's the being able to download it for the first time. Not all households have a single computer for each resident, not all husbands and wives have different computers. The only way this wouldn't be a problem is if you're single and/or never have another person touch your computer or have their own amazon account that they purchase music with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 7:09:33 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 7:25:18 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:05:22 PM PST
Doug says:
You *don't* get it. You cannot download the files if you mis-authorize a computer by allowing somebody else to use it before you do. Then you are stuck for six months with no access to media which you own.

I've switched to 7digital. Amazon's new DRM policy is worse than iTunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:03:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 10, 2013 5:57:18 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:28:12 AM PST
traderje says:
It may be time to direct dissapointment to the media.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions