Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1854 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2014 4:09:53 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
I've just started reading it and I agree with Joyce, this one is good!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 10:52:15 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Severin:

Yeah, it is a good book, and i know u will enjoy it!

Love,
Joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 10:48:51 AM PST
Severin says:
Thanks to you and Mitch for your opinions on it. I may get it for Xmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 8:24:27 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Severin:

Yes, i have Ray's 'Americana' and have started reading it, but am probably only about 80 to 100 pages in. I do really like it a lot, so far....just haven't had much time for reading or anything else lately.

I also have part one of Mark Lewisohn's new Beatles series books, 'Tune In...', which i have not started to read yet.

I do love Ray's book, and recommend it highly!

Love,
Joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 6:54:24 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
It's a great book. I read it over a weekend. Couldn't put it down!

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 6:25:00 AM PST
Severin says:
Has anyone read Ray's new book "Americana: The Kinks, the Riff, the Road: The Story" yet? The product page has 4 5-star reviews so far. It covers the Arista years of the '70s and '80s.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 4:24:06 PM PST
Cordo says:
I believe John gosling has retired also.

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 9:00:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2013 9:01:18 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Mick Avory works at Konk Studios and has performed with a pub group for a few years but he would not be part of a Kinks reunion. Pete Quaife is gone and he is now swapping stories with John Entwistle.
John Dalton was the band's bass player from 1969-1977, and those two guys from Argent, Jim Rodford and Bob Henrit could again handle bass and drum duties for The Kinks if they are not on tour with The Zombies next year. Keyboards could be filled by Ian Gibbons or others that have already filled that role as a Kink.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 8:43:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2013 3:54:02 AM PDT
When we talk about a 'Kinks' reunion, do we just mean the Davies' brothers only, with anonymous musicians behind them (?)
A more proper reunion, for me, would also have Mick Avory there as well, with maybe the 70's or 80's line up. Pete Quaife no longer here.
Don't see it happening, (Dave and Mick in the same band) but you never know.

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 4:14:45 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
I read recently that Dave Davies has been talking to Ray about the band reforming in 2014 for a 50th anniversary tour of the world (and beyond!) Ray, wasn't much in the mood to discuss it. Dave, wasn't happy and called his brother some bad words. Look's like it might happen!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 3:11:48 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:

You are welcome...i thought it looked pretty interesting, too!

Love,
Joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 3:05:29 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Looks interesting! Thanks Joyce!

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 7:47:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2013 7:47:44 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Everyone: all you Kinks Fans!

i just got this sent to me from my fb friend, 'Ray Davies fb page'! this is a new book about British songwriters, and how they 'write'....the first chapter is on Ray, and contains a full interview with him in it! here is the link!:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Isle-Noises-Conversations-British-songwriters/dp/1447226755/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379505682&sr=1-1&keywords=isle+of+noises

The Book is called 'Isle of Noises: Conversations with Great British Songwriters. this particular link is thru Amazon, U.K., and i haven't checked the U.S. Amazon website yet for the same, but i assume that if it is not yet available, it will be soon...also, you can, of course, just order it from Amazon U.K. and have it sent!

just wanted to let you all know...it looks pretty good! check it out! :)

love,
joyce

p.s., Hi, everyone! hope you are all well and happy!!!!!!! :)

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 1:31:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 20, 2013 3:08:57 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 4:15:44 PM PDT
Cordo says:
On the album it's credited to Ray & Dave.

I have always loved the line "Is she big? Is she tall? Is she a she at all?" That really sounds more like Dave than Ray who would explore that theme more fully on "Lola." It would be neat if the song could be rewritten to refer to e-mail or chat or something like that. That line would fit right in.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 4:22:12 PM PDT
Cordo says:
Personally, I think Misfits is The Kinks' last consistently good album, at least until you get to Phobia.

You asked for favorite, and mine is Muswell's successor, Everybody's in Show biz. It's mostly a "life on the road" album. the one-two punch of Here Come's Yet another Day and Maximum Consumption is a killer. John Dalton's bass really thumps on this one, almost as if Ray is preparing him for the central role he would take in the rhythm section of the Preservation cycle. (He almost carries the foundation of Money Talks by himself.) Dave is in fine form vocally (Maximum Consumption really flies when he kicks in.) His song You Don't Know My Name may not be his best song, but it is IMO one of his best performances. The music-hall feel of Hot Potatoes is great as is the melancholy of Sitting in My Hotel. Any album that ends with the magnificent Celluloid Heroes has to rate high. The live side gives a good feel for the unevenness of The Kinks early '70's performances. Wolfgang's Vault has several shows from this era.

Unreal Realty and Look a Little on the Funny Side (which would have fit perfectly on the Lola album) slow the pace a bit, but for me the overall song quality is high. The lugubriousness of the performances make this a treat. Ray may appear to complain on Here Comes Yet another Day, but the brag and bounce of the band and his enthusiastic delivery show where his feelings really are. The vinyl version of The Kinks Greatest Hits (1976) opened with a great live version of this song from a Carnegie Hall concert from that year, but the CD version is just the album track.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 4:00:36 PM PDT
Cordo says:
Just popped up today when I checked my Amazon page. The Deluxe Edition of Muswell Hillbilles will be out mid-October. The notice did not have a track listing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2013 12:19:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2013 12:09:45 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 2:34:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2013 2:35:09 PM PDT
Haven't heard the new record by Dave yet and it's gotten mixed reviews but I'm sure I will enjoy that one as I have found good things on all of his solo releases.

I'm listening to the 6 CD box set "Picture Book" by the band today, and for all the discussion threads out there that have comments like: "Still waiting for a box from The Kinks" I cannot understand why they did not see this 2008 release.

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 12:02:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2013 4:09:52 PM PDT
Hinch says:
The "no" voting troll is a pathetic loser with too much time on his hands.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 7:41:57 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I keed, I keed!

http://youtu.be/xJqJM4xM-oE

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 7:09:30 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I still need to get the new Dave cd and give him another chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 7:04:50 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Mibo, It's funny. I learned not to listen to new cds on the way to work. They always sound bad. They sound much better on the way home. Lol! I don't have that problem now though. I recently retired. (-:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 6:51:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2013 7:23:23 AM PDT
Hinch says:
EVERYBODY'S IN SHOWBIZ is easily my pick. Their last album on which I liked every song.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 6:38:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2013 7:39:50 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I guess that puts me in the 'unpopular' group then. I loved The Kinks. Never cared much for whether something was 'cool'.

Btw, like Triumph the insult dog, sometimes I keed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1854
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions