Customer Discussions > Music forum

Cloud Player update removed uploading capability for Linux users?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2012 7:37:40 PM PDT
rybo says:
I love Cloud Player and use it all the time. However, after recently upgrading to Premium, it says that any music files uploaded through Cloud Drive will not be playable and that all music has to be uploaded through Cloud Player. As a Linux user, though, I cannot do this.

I used to be able to upload music through Cloud Drive and play it in Cloud Player all the time. Has this ability been removed?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:12:13 AM PDT
nester says:
Any updates on this? I'm having the same exact issue here.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:23:57 AM PDT
flob says:
I wasn't even able to load cloud player through wine/windows-firefox in linux.

Are the any plans to bring back this feature?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:33:42 AM PST
Still looking for a way to do this; otherwise, may drop cloud player altogether.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:20:44 PM PST
Jim4Prez says:
I am glad I found this post. I was just about to upgrade to premium, however being an Ubuntu Linux user, that is not going to happen now. I fail to see why they cannot allow uploading of files via a web browser on Linux??? Uploading multiple files can easily be done via stands-compliant HTML. So WTH Amazon? You have to have at least ONE developer on your IT team that uses Linux and can make the changes? Hell, even a lowly command line client that zipped up the mp3 files and sent them over to you would be acceptable over your current offering of NOTHING.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 1:23:48 PM PST
I have a new Kindle. I have Linux.
I have no way to get my music to my Kindle? Seriously?
Without borrowing my friend's laptop?

Lame.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:25:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 11:28:51 AM PST
This is something that needs to be addressed. What about a simple HTTP POST based uploader? Otherwise is there any documented API we can use to create our own tool?

**Edit**
It is possible to upload files one at a time by logging in to Amazon Cloud Drive and placing the track in the 'Archived Music' folder.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:48:50 PM PST
It's bad enough that they won't recommend using Banshee or Amarok, which have fully functional downloaders, and tell you to download tracks from the cloud player one at a time.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:04:05 PM PST
Evan Davis says:
I can honestly live with the lack of a viable downloader, though I do wish I could play my streaming files through a client like Clementine.

That said, this inability to upload is NUTS. The Cloud Drive workaround isn't working for me either; none of my tracks are showing up in Player, and the files I upload are eating away at my storage space. Why does Amazon want me to buy an Apple device (a Mac) just so that I can use my Kindle? Nuts!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:15:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 1:16:44 PM PST
Keith says:
This sucks. I was just about to purchase a subscription (I own Sonos throughout the house), but I use Linux on all my machines and Amazon's commitment to screwing the Linux users out there is quite clear for all to see.

Shame on you Amazon.

It's even more of a piss-take considering Canonical and Amazon are in partnership, displaying recommended search results in the Unity interface.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 5:21:52 PM PST
Jamie Wilson says:
Being a Linux user trying to pay for and use Amazon is making me feel like a homeless guy trying to get served in a fancy restaurant.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 5:31:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 7, 2013 5:31:32 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Sep 5, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions