Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rock Music is the Devils Music !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 551-575 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:57:21 PM PST
Hinch says:
Here comes one of those satan worshipers now.

http://youtu.be/GnVYht0iq-Y

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 6:25:13 PM PST
You know, the whole satanic thing brings up a thought I've had but never found a convenient outlet to express it. I mean, I wasn't going to start a thread anywhere on it.

I always wondered when I'd hear that charge of satanism in some form or other; I've never heard of anyone who actually worships Satan. People who believe in that sort of thing are almost always very religious, and from what I've seen, they do not worship Satan.

I think it's just a talking point for fundamentalists that they pull out of some dark place in some silly attempt to gain attention or influence. I'm not suggesting that no one has ever done this, but I've got to believe that the whole thing is simply a charade....perpetrated and kept alive by fundies who need to have an enemy to help justify their views.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 6:41:55 PM PST
Hinch says:
I agree. It's just another way of trying to stop rock and roll. It's been going on since the beginning, from early black r&b to The Beatles to Ozzy Osbourne, and it still continues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:05:46 PM PST
RE: I agree. It's just another way of trying to stop rock and roll. It's been going on since the beginning, from early black r&b to The Beatles to Ozzy Osbourne, and it still continues.

Demonizing something can create a manufactured enemy, and that's really all it is. All nonsense.

References to it in music are just another of the many angles that are rebellion-based, with the side effect that it tweaks the fundies and give them a sort of fake ammunition that works with other fundies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:58:58 AM PST
stevign says:
I know you're joking but that's a bad example, the name of the song is "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down". Here's a better sounding recording. It's used as the theme song for the opening of the award-winning TV series "Boss".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBOhW7Re8MA

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:20:15 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "I think it's just a talking point for fundamentalists that they pull out of some dark place in some silly attempt to gain attention or influence"

Same goes for the bands who use the theme. It's normal for kids to rebel against convention and what better way to seem like you and your band a real rebels? And girls love the bad boys. Like you said, it's a charade, just theater. It's no big deal in your teens and 20s but if you're still using the theme as a grown man in your 30s and 40s, you're either pathetic and/or desperate for fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:36:26 AM PST
Boss is one of my shows!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:27:24 AM PST
stevign says:
Excellent. Kelsey Grammer shocked the hell out of me, I didn't think he had it in him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:53:51 PM PST
J. Hand says:
Cute at 17, sad at 27, no?

Sounds like this anarchist guy I met over at Facebook when I went off on him and one of his stupid calls to arms of "Don't buy anything when you can steal it because that sticks it to the man." on calling for everybody to shop-lift some new CD. The bottom line is he's basically unmotivated, intentionally uneducated (apparent after <5 minutes of conversation), has no interest in working or doing anything because he comes from a well off family that takes care of him. He hates the world and always complains how wrong it all is when all that's wrong is he's to lazy and smug to make his way in it. He thinks everybody should help him out because being any other way -taking care of his own stuff- makes him a conformist. It's just a bunch of pseudo high-minded bull-pucky he uses to put an air of romanticism about his being a loser. Cute at 17, sad at 27.

I work hard at being non-judgemental but I also have to call 'em like I see 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:12:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 2:16:28 PM PST
RE: Same goes for the bands who use the theme.

Yeah, I agree....bands are just doing what bands do. They try different angles, and that's just one way out of many to try to tweak the establishment.

But I think the fundies really need to have perceived enemies....to "save" people from; the whole devil thing is a more integral part of their business model. There's overlap in the two different sides, but I think on the fundie side it probably is more galvanizing for "fans" than on the bands' side. For the bands it's just small part of a general anti-establishment thing.

And I agree about grown people pursuing that angle....on both sides of that fence.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:48:56 PM PST
Print gets the act looked at, but it's the touring and (with) audio exposure that sells product. Negative publicity still accomplishes a positive for someone working it--it gets notice.

CDs had one positive (should I put that in quotes?) effect on the whole Bob Larson/Dan-Steve Peters/Jacob Aranza/etc... pseudo tent revival acts in the '80s: you couldn't spin 'em backwards (easily), so the backmasking attacks required too much costly and antiquated (vinyl was dead by '87-'88) buy-in with the public. "Rock Music is the Devil's Music" and the connection to the illuminati conspiracy was a Christian bookstore niche market that never got big enough for more than a few players, and the public buy-in was aimed at selling the concept mostly to concerned parents. The youth music audience that went along with were already an easy listening/adult contemporary audience anyway, so it didn't get much religious conversion traction -- it didn't "sell" the intended (new) audience. Then poster boy for "safe" pop music tanked its market and made it a laughing stock with the public at large: Pat Boone spoofed heavy metal tongue-in-cheek with that IN A METAL MOOD CD. It put him, of all things, back one last time on the album charts, 2/15/97, peak #125, 2 wks. His last chart album was on a special Billboard season Christmas chart, WHITE CHRISTMAS, Dot DLP 25222, #50 (bottommost listing) on 12/24/66.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:50:37 PM PST
John says:
I think you might be taking it too seriously. Based on the arguement that rock is satanic, one could argue that all secular music is, which is simply not true. Listen to the song "Still Loving You" by the Scorpions. It is possibly one of the most beautiful songs ever written. You can't tell tell me that song is devils music, because only God is love.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:56:10 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I work hard at being non-judgemental but I also have to call 'em like I see 'em."

I perfectly understand where you're coming from, guys like that are a drain on society. Perhaps his parents will do the right thing and pay for their son's vasectomy.

re: "He thinks everybody should help him out because being any other way -taking care of his own stuff- makes him a conformist"

But he doesn't mind conforming to all the other anarchists or whatever group he emulates. I'm proud to say even when I was younger I was never that stupid, ignorant and naive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:57:35 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "on both sides of that fence"

I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:03:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 3:10:58 PM PST
Your post went right past me. I finally took a close look at it. Thanks. I believe Jack Chick does the illustrations for Jeff Godwin's books.

I'm still looking to find this Jeff Godwin tome, but the price is too high:

Rock & roll religion: A war against God

Dates 1995, just before the Pat Boone IN A METAL MOOD album.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:04:31 PM PST
I remember a very short lived TV show based on this very premise. Had Paul Shaffer in one of the lead roles, before the David Lettermen band gig.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:40:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 3:44:15 PM PST
J. Hand says:
That's part of what amuses me about the music biz- everything old is new again. I had Alice Cooper and his never seen the likes of it before stage show and all the attendant publicity about ties to satanism and all the dark side stuff. Decades later we have Alice still touring to the nostalgia crowd who get the whole show is just a put-on. And we had/have Marylin Manson.

I swear I remember hearing promos for Black Sabbath's first LP on the radio (NYC area) and then quite a time lapse between hearing about them and finally seeing the LP. Coincidence? In the heady days when 8 track was state of the art, I had a tape that I was given complete with an Urban Legend story of events that were actually taking place during the recording and things that happened to those who dared listen. It was something done by a group called Lucifer and the title was Black Mass. Or maybe it was Black Mass doing a piece called Lucifer. The label was just pinkish orange with just Black Mass and Lucifer on it. Very home-made looking. I listened to it and it was all strange ambient synthesizer stuff that bordered more on sound effects than music. I think there were human moans and wails subtly placed in the back ground. It was all one piece best I recall. Nothing about it made it worth a second listen.

Remembering the craze the country went in during the 80s over a media induced wave of paranoia about satanism, there was definitely a built in promotional mechanism to be linked to the Dark Prince. All one needs to do is watch the documentaries over the Paradise Hills Murders to see how quickly the Medieval mentality comes back to the modern world and how quickly people will eagerly burn the witches. (If anybody hasn't seen the second and third ones, it's worth watching them all back to back to get the full sense of the whole story) In that series, the so-called 'expert' on witchcraft and satanism literally had a "I tore the cover off a book of matches... and I sent in and I got this letter back saying... (Nods to Zappa Help! I'm a Rock & It Can't Happen Here)

Speaking of documentaries, there was the one with the suicide pact gone awry over 'secret messages' in Judas Priest records. The survivor had trenched his face from the chin up after jerking his head back when he fired the shotgun he had placed under his chin to punch his own ticket. His buddy succeeded, this one flinched. And through it all, it was never overtly portrayed this guy and his buddy were losers. Through it all, it was always Judas Priest knowing decided they were going to plant subliminal messages aimed at him and his deceased buddy, persons of no great consequence living in the middle of Nowhere, USA, to encourage them to commit suicide. On the most cynical level, isn't getting your fan base to off themselves bad business?

The whole satan/witchcraft/dark forces thing had people with money eager to learn all about it for as many different motivations as there were experts. I remember an article in the Progressive where a southern Sheriff wanted the legislature to loosen up evidentiary laws because he had investigated crimes where there was no evidence and he knew crimes committed with Dark Forces helping were not going to leave any clues or physical evidence. An officer had to rely on his guts and intuition to know when Satan and Evil were involved and he needed to arrest people and detain them without probable cause in such cases. It would be funny if it weren't true and that this guy legally has the power of arrest and carries a weapon.

Like every other conspiracy, the experts are experts more in keeping a thing alive to sell books, tapes, lectures, subscriptions, newsletters, pay-casts, and anything else they can market to their 'true believers'. And there was money-a-plenty in the Dark Prince for all sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:47:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 3:48:10 PM PST
Are you speaking of this album?

Black Mass

He arranged strings for Capitol artists -- Mort Garson --, notably Glen Campbell's BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX Lp in late '67. He was the A&C on tracks "Bad Seed" and "Cold December In Your Heart" on that Lp. "Bad Seed" was one of the few C&W songs on the album, having been a hit for Jan Howard on Decca a little previous. By that pedigree, Glen Campbell and C&W music are ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:00:47 PM PST
HeartAbounds says:
Re: Or this is cheap trolling. You pick.

That line sums up the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:23:55 PM PST
Hinch says:
I would call it 'being sarcastic' more than I would call it 'joking', but you're right. I wasn't serious.

I didn't know the song had been used as the theme song for a tv show, or that Plant had recorded it other than with The Band of Joy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 6:06:21 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "I would call it 'being sarcastic' more than I would call it 'joking',"

Well you know me, I like harmless sarcasm.

re: "or that Plant had recorded it other than with The Band of Joy."

Nor I, I was stunned when I found out it was Plant.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:13:21 AM PST
The OP has to be just messing with us. He does a fine job of that.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:58:51 AM PST
"your trust is in whiskey and weed and Black Sabbath...it's Goddamn Electric"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:20:44 AM PST
J. Hand says:
That would be the one!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 4:23:30 AM PST
If you want to understand the phenomenon why someone gets into the conspiracy weirdos alternate universe, I suggest this reading:

Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free

The illuminati bankrolled it. (tongue-in-cheek, with extra irony)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  187
Total posts:  1074
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2011
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions