Customer Discussions > Music forum

No offense, but Rock and Pop music suck...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 18, 2012 2:56:47 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
That was the most useful and appropriate Delete that Amazon has ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:59:43 PM PST
Hinch says:
That's exactly the way I read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 3:02:01 PM PST
Hinch says:
One can have manners and social graces and still be a "redneck".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:45:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 8:47:54 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Ian Robinson:

<<Personally, however, I find that the genre DID have some great talented artists in THE PAST ..... I think it's one genre in which the older fellas are the best. >>

While I wouldn't want to pit anyone against Hank or Johnny or Patsy (I don't like Daniels much ever since he wrote the song about how "The South is Gonna Rise Again"....he seemed to be trying to play both sides), but have you ever looked at some of the artists in this "alt-country", "americana", "roots music" thing?

Wilco; Bonnie "Prince" Billy; 16 Horsepower, Lucinda Williams; the Jayhawks, Emmylou Harris, Fleet Foxes (sometimes), Munly & the Lee Lewis Harlots; Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch, Uncle Tupelo; Steve Earle; Songs: Ohia; Old 97's; Whiskeytown, Son Volt; Jay Munly; Magnolia Electric Co.; Wovenhand; Palace Music; Cowboy Junkies; Willis Alan Ramsey; Neko Case; Drive By Truckers; Grant Lee Buffalo; Meat Puppets (sometimes); Calexico; Mark Lanegan; John Hiatt; The Triffids; Angels of Light; Iris Dement; Midnight Choir; Lambchop; Bill Calahan; Blue Rodeo; Thin White Rope; Scud Mountain Boys; Iron & Wine (sometimes); Richard Buckner, M. Ward; Midlake; Nancy Griffith; Lyle Lovett; The Walkabouts; Hem; Giant Sand; Joe Henry; Alejandro Escovedo; Ryan Bingham, Steve Young, Robert Plant WITH Alison Krauss; Ry Cooder, Chuck Prophet, Jim White; Tarantella; James Yorkston & the Athletes; Slobberbone, Vic Chetnutt (RIP); Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter; Mojave 3; Califone, Rodney Crowell, Vigilantes of Love, Michelle Shocked (sometimes); Todd Snider; The Bottle Rockets; The Builders & the Butchers, The Coffin Shakers, The Long Ryders, Patty Griffin; The Felice Brothers, Handsome Family, Joe Ely, Mary Gauthier, Lucero; DeVotchKa, Golden Smog, Damien Jurado, Jolie Holland, Christian Kjellvander, John Prine (sometimes), Silver Jews, Los Lobos, Geraldine Fibbers, Frontier Ruckus, Kathleen Edwards, The Blackeyed Susans, Josh Rouse, The Sadies, Mike Ness (sometimes), Eilen Jewell; Jeffrey Lee Pierce; Ween (sometimes); Rosanna Cash, The Avett Brothers, Kill Devil Hills; James McMurty; Mark Olson, Willard Grant Conspiracy; J. Tillman; Jason Molina; Tom Russell; Slim Cessna's Auto Club; Henry Flint & Nova Billy; Townes Van Zandt; Blue Mountain; Micah P. Hinson; Richmond Fontaine, Papa M., Buddy Miller, Reigning Sound, Kelly Joe Phillips, Dave Alvin; Jim Guthrie; Hayes Carll, Will Oldham, Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins, Justin Townes Earle, A.A. Bondy, Freakwater, Phosphorescent, Caitlin Carey & Thad Cockrell; Deer Tick; William Elliott Whitmore :Marah, David Ackles, Over the Rhine, Josh Ritter, Julie Miller, Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat; Lilium, Blanche, Supersuckers, the Mekons, Rev. Glasseye & His Wooden Legs, the Be Good Tanyas, Jackie Leven, The Dixie Chicks, Old Crow Medicine Show, Johnny Dowd, Dave Rawlings Machine; Howe Gelb, Amy Rigby, Willie Nile, Blitzen Trapper, Butch Hancock, Langhorne Slim, The Devil Makes Three, Timesbold, Matthew Ryan, Charlie Parr, Lone Justice, South San Gabriel, The Knitters, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Mudcrunch......ok, even I'm getting tired and most of these I have in my collection.

Wait, where's Trailer Bride? A great, great southern goth band that is no more.....boy could Melissa Swingle play a mean saw....

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 6:15:56 AM PST
Hot Club of Cowtown, Marti Brom, the Derailers, Kim Lenz & the Jaguars, Starliters, Rockin' Bonnie & the Rot Gut Shots, and I can't remember what-all else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:28:55 PM PST
You sound like some guy I know who always cuts down any genre of
music other than what he likes. Can't have an intelligent duscussion
with this bozo because he has a one-track mind, and is sarcastic to
top it off. No one wants to talk music with him, but he just keeps on
with the crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:46:17 PM PST
As Oscar Wilde said:
"There's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about".

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 7:00:05 PM PST
I like the way he starts this thread with "No offense....." when it is so obvious that offending is his prime motive.

Does that make him a liar or just ignorant of his own personality?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:16:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 10:33:19 PM PST
<<Does that make him a liar or just ignorant of his own personality? >>>
he is regularly BOTH..

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:16:40 PM PST
Working Man says:
If by manners you mean Southerners are nice to your face and then talk about you behind your back and stab you in the back while Northerners are staight forward and you know where you stand from day one. Then I agree.

I grew up in the North and have lived in the South for 20 years now and there are nice well mannered people from the North as well as the South. Yes, rednecks are everywhere but there are good well mannered people everywhere as well. I consider myself well mannered and I ma from the North. There are differences in the way people act from different parts of this country but there are losers all over and there are plenty of great people everywhere too.

My comments about the Sourtherners being nice to your face but acting different behind your back is still a generalization, but I have seen it and there is some truth to it. It obviously does not apply to all Southerners.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:09:28 PM PST
Fischman says:
After growing up in the rural west, the move to Boston was a bit of a culture shock. When I moved there, Boston had just passed New York in a survey of the "rudest" cities in America.

I immediately settled in without difficulty. The straightforward approach is most efficient and these folks don't waste time. It fit me like a glove--it's the one thing I truly miss now that I'm back in Colorado (well, that and the great seafood).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:07:07 PM PST
Last I checked redneck does not qualify as a race.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:21:03 PM PST
Isn't a redneck someone who spends a lot of time in the sun without a hat?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 12:12:07 AM PST
Hinch says:
Buck

That's how the word originated. Their necks were red from working in the sun all day.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 4:26:40 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
I grew up in England and really liked the Outlaw Country movement: Steve Earle; Willy Nelson; Tony Joe White really made great music, on par with the rock we were listening to.
Bands like The Outlaws; The Eagles; Poco; Manassas that crossed between rock and country had huge followings. Right now, Americana is big business here from the commercial lite version of Fleet Foxes, Alison Krauss to the songwriting genius of Ryan Adams and The Felice Brothers.
What we can't relate to is that yucky, saccharin sweet nonsense that is leaking out of Nashville etc. And any artist/band that mentions Or alludes to God or Christianity (or any religious rhetoric) goes down like a lead ballon and won't get radio airplay.
In general, there is some extraordinary Country Music and like all genres there is a lot of complete garbage too.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 4:32:46 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Ps. I don't know if you guys use rhyming slang like us Londoners but RVACountryLover sounds like a right James Blunt!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:38:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 6:42:23 AM PST
vivazappa says:
My take on people from different parts of the country:

Personally I like all the east coast girls...they're hip and I really dig those clothes they wear...
Southern girls you know how they talk...well they knock me out when I visit...
The mid west girls whose dads are farmers make me feel alright...(or is that all night?)
But I do wish they all could be like the chicks in California!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 8:21:34 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
vivazappa,

You know, you could make a ton of money writing pop songs if you'd just put your mind to it.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 9:05:09 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I was thinking about doing Mike Love impressions in Vegas...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:10:06 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
" ... PERSONAL friend of mine ..."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 1:57:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 1:58:06 PM PST
...from playing their electric pianos outside the little grocery store entrances for the few customers walking in-and-out of the place between the hours of noon and 2PM, in urban Virginia, decrying the stupifying effects of drinking poisonous alcohol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:13:16 PM PST
>>And any artist/band that mentions Or alludes to God or Christianity (or any religious rhetoric) goes down like a lead ballon and won't get radio airplay.<<

Mike Nesmith is a very religious man, but he never allowed his beliefs to overtly influence his songs.

A true country/ rock pioneer who knows how to do it right.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 12:17:16 AM PST
coema says:
old country is more fun then new country.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:28:02 PM PST
JP says:
A LOT of new country isn't country. The way 2/3 of these bands sound, if they had of been around in the 70s they would have been called Southern Rock and would be opening for for Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, Blackfoot, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:38:26 PM PST
E. Dill says:
<<old country is more fun than new country>>

It depends. I'd say that new country, as in alternative country/americana/roots music/no depression is as good as any form of country gets. Yes, it does have some of the elements of rock/punk/folk, but even "old country" often got popified. Can anyone say Eddy Arnold. I mean, the man is in the Country Music Hall of Fame and he was as country pop as they get.

No, when I began making lists of alt-country performers (no, I won't this time), I am amazed at what a stellar list there is. Assuming you are talking about today's pop country, you should try some of the country on the "darker" or "rootsier" side. Gram Parsons would be proud.

ed.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6378 6 minutes ago
Short but impactful careers in music 27 47 minutes ago
Long Careers in Music 42 5 hours ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4826 5 hours ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 32 6 hours ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 29 6 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2626 8 hours ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 174 8 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4049 10 hours ago
Who Ruled the 70's: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan? 492 14 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 28 15 hours ago
Your favourite novelty songs 101 21 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions