Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1854 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 3:59:32 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
actually, I kind of can believe it, as Dave is "out there"....so am I, so ..... lol! (ok, maybe not quite as far out there as Dave, but "unusual" may be the word I am looking for .... "different", perhaps?)
yeah, I liked both too, but found Dave's slightly more readable, although Ray's was written in an interesting style....
love,
joyce 💚
p.s., how are you? good, i hope!!!

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:34:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 4:41:09 PM PDT
I started a thread about this, but I guess I should have come here in the first place since it's regarding The Kinks. I never noticed this until recently but Yes sampled the same mellotron passage on a song on their The Ladder album (Lightning Strikes) that Nicky Hopkins played on Phenomenal Cat on the Village Green Preservation album. I thought that was interesting!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 5:45:55 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Hey, Rand!
just wanted to say "hi" mostly.....knew NH played with the Kinks, but didn't know he played on VGPS.....learn something new every day!
hope you are well! I miss you on the other threads (Beatles and Magical Mystery)....where have you been???
💙
thanks for the info!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:22:10 PM PDT
I thought it was with Long John Baldry... but I'd better read the book again... it's been a while since I read it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:26:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 6:30:41 PM PDT
ronct says:
That wouldn't work as there is already 1 off-key singer with Ringo why add 2 more? LOL

I know this was an old post but Mitch made me do it. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 4:06:30 AM PDT
Hi Joyce

Oh I've been around, mostly playing the game threads and starting a few of my own.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 10:55:29 AM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Rand:
I am glad you seem to be doing well! thanks for the post....it is always a pleasure to hear from you, so don't completely disappear!
love,
joyce

Posted on May 4, 2012 11:05:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 11:05:59 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
I am really looking forward to the at The BBC session coming out next month....Last night I closed my eyes in the Kinks section on my Cd wall and randomly picked out Preservation Act 2...the story line might have been muddled but the album has many great songs among them,
-Money Talks
-Scum of the Earth
-He's Evil
-Mirror of Love
-Oh Where Oh Where is Love
-Nothing Last Forever
--there are many more pleasures on this album!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:44:20 AM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
it sounds so awesome, but since i have many of the ones included in the set, and it's so pricey, i wanted to wait a bit and hear what you thought first, so please let me know!!
I don't have preservation act 2, so i might have to check it out! thanks for the recommendation!
how's your day going, so far????? Take a really long lunch, get out in the sunshine (if there is any), put on some music, close your eyes, and pretend you are somewhere else with someone else special.....also, remember, today is Friday!!!! Yay!!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:56:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 11:57:00 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Joyce...Work right now so stressful....to unstress myself I listen to Sunflower by The Beach Boys...one of their best and should have been huge but for some weird reason, in 1970 they weren't considered cool...which blows me a way...why were they thought of as uncool...in the 60's they made some of the all time greatest popular music in the history of popular music and their not (by some) considered cool....anyway, it's good to see you on here I know you were were having computer trouble, their are a lot of very nice, intelligent, passionate people on these these threads(with me you know who you are), and you are one of them...if you are on tonight, and if my daughters don't have an enormous amount of school work on the computer iI will check from time to time. maybe i'll talk to you later!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 12:04:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 12:06:03 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
that would be awesome!! don't forget to take my advice about the lunch break now, o.k.???? as far as my computer issues, they had my computer for close to 3 days, and did nothing to it at all, and i think the issues are still there....i may have to take it to another apple store, and have them check it out....i know how to read the "log" where it lists when your computer fails, etc., but don't know all the codes they use, so i am not sure about it, but i know they didn't do anything to it, as they said it didn't "exhibit" any of the problems i had mentioned...never mind that as soon as i got it home, it did 2 of those things, almost immediately!! I think they did not even look at it, but maybe were busy, and it got buried in their stacks...I called 4 times to find out what was wrong, and NO ONE EVER CALLED ME BACK!!! that was NOT GOOD EITHER, and didn't give me confidence in their abilities to know what the heck they are doing, or of them being at all conscientious....
talk to you later, i hope...don't forget the lunch suggestions!
love,
joyce
p.s., will check out "sunflower" by the BB....I think they were thought of a mostly a "beach music" band, even though I know that is not what they really are, but I think that is why they became overall "unpopular" or "uncool"....just my guess!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 4:18:56 PM PDT
Cordo says:
Go to www.wolfgangsvault.com, and they have a 1970 concert by The Beach Boys recorded apparently just after Surf's Up was completed. I believe a song or two from Sunflower are included. The sound mix isn't the best. Al's mike is prominent and the others' muted, but the show is still good. Bruce performs Elton John's "Your Song" which was apparently not a popular choice with at least some of the audience, because he says "Be polite, now."

Posted on May 4, 2012 5:14:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 5:49:12 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie, Bernard, Mitch, Rand, Hinch, Ronct, and Tim (where are you, Tim??):
a song for all of you! heard this in the car, and immediately thought of you! an awesome song! an awesome video! THEY LOOK SO GOOD, AND SOUND EVEN BETTER!!!!!
http://youtu.be/vzjoqpTqSR4
(old grey whistle test--awesome sound, with awesome guitar by dave!!!!!!!!!!)
I love you guys!!!! hope you are ALL having a FINE DAY!!!!!!
love,
joyce
p.s. o.k., one more from the same show! 1977 old grey whistle test:
http://youtu.be/IxIzM0oEtwI
"you really got me" AND "all day and all of the night"!!!!!!! OMG!!
o.k., another, same show! (muswell hillbillies)
http://youtu.be/AO3JXaKsTpU
he introduces Dave...very nice!
and, "life on the road":
http://youtu.be/_cmsjzxccfc
SO AWESOME!!!
and another, "celluloid heroes":
http://youtu.be/eSR7nfn-acs
(just beautiful!)
and last one! i am going to end at the beginning! "sleepwalker", with some awesome guitar work by Dave!:
http://youtu.be/NC5BR3RL6ug

ENJOY, EVERYONE!!!!! (I CANNOT GET OVER HOW GREAT THEY LOOK.....(am i drooling?...sorry....)

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:43:02 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
Great video and song!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:50:15 PM PDT
Joyce says:
My Dearest Darling Mitch:
please look at the post again!!! I added just a few more; JUST FOR YOU!!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 8:51:48 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
Certainly great links, terrific songs. Thanks for all, I've seen some of them before, good to see them again!
Celluloid Heroes showed Davies to be a great lyricist, even about non-English things, like Hollywood Boulevard!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 8:59:48 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
yes, you are right! He is AWESOME, and I LOVE that song!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:31:11 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
One of my favorites, yet as a single managed to flop!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:34:50 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
yeah, go figure! oh well, there is no accounting for taste, right? lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:40:20 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
That's what I think!
When Celluloid Heroes flopped, what DID top the charts, and sell a million?
I don't actually know! But it was probably some silly 'glam' outfit, whose work is probably now forgotten, or doesn't sell much at all.

Posted on May 4, 2012 10:03:16 PM PDT
Has anyone seen a song list for this new BBC set? How would it differ from the Kinks at the BBC set that came out several years ago? That was 2 discs, the new one is 6, so it sounds like there is a lot more material in the new one, but what is it????

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:48:48 AM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
exactly.....I feel your pain! (so does Mitch!)
love,
joyce

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:23:08 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Read and get souped up!
This release is collated from all of the BBC owned Kinks recordings that still exist in the archive and charts the inexorable rise of the band: from the first steps on the Pye label, to the glory days as one of the greatest acts of all time. The BBC gave the band a platform and support at crucial stages in their career and "The Kinks at the BBC" could be seen essentially as an alternate Greatest Hits, a musical growing up in public. This incredible archive represents a great set of previously unreleased recordings in the Kinks catalogue. The collection has been brought together by trawling the BBC archives, but also by inviting contributions from fans. The BBC had a habit of wiping tapes after they were broadcast which has meant that some of the Corporation's output has been lost for ever. However thanks to fans recording broadcasts at home a lot of gems have been reclaimed here for this set. This collection brings together a raft of sessions and live recordings form through out the band's career including the rare concert and unheard session recordings. Included also is a DVD of the bands sought after appearances on Top of the Pops and the Old Grey Whistle Test a well as concerts from throughout the band's career. This is a first for the band as these recordings have never been available in one place before. With comprehensive notes by Peter Doggett who tells the story of the bands history at the BBC as well as being mastering by Kinks aficionado Andrew Sandoval. Fully supported and endorsed by the band - The Kinks at the BBC" is a triumphant collection of the defining moments of a truly seminal British band, as witnessed, broadcast and archived by the voice of the nation, the BBC.

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:32:26 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Please read the lyical depth of this Dave Davies written song, (his vocals are great also and the melody is tremendous)
This Man He Weeps Tonight
Written by: Dave Davies

Lyrics:

I wish that you could see
All the things that I have seen.
This mind of mine is making life worthwhile.
I wish that you'd have know
Of all the plans I had in store for us,
Laughing, dancing, traveling the world on our own.

And this man, he weeps tonight,
And his head is bowed with sorrow,
But what can you do, sitting there,
And you let him cry tomorrow,
Yes, you'll let him cry tomorrow.

I thought our thing would last,
'Cause it said so in my horoscope,
The days have gone and past while dreaming away.
The lighting here is dim,
And the room closes in around me.
Your picture's hanging loose on a rusting nail.

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:36:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 11:10:04 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
There is a new thread called Ray or Dave...though in songwriting there isn't any competition, Ray is one of the all time greats...BUT...see what I wrote...IMHO!!
GOD SAVE THE KINKS
Ray wins with an asterisk....I am one of those people who finds Dave to be one of the greats..his songwriting is understated because Ray is one of the greatest songwriters ever...but in his own right his songwriting is tremendous and must be looked at, he will never be Ray BUT every song he has written for the Kinks are outstanding from the witty Groovy Movies to the 3 great songs he wrote for Something Else...listen to the song list and hear his greatness;
-Funny Face
-Love Me Til The Sunshines
-Dearh of a Clown
-Strangers
-Rats
-You Don't Know my Name
-Trust your Heart(this song is so great)
-Rock and Roll Cities
-Dear Margarete
-The Man He Weeps Tonight
and the few others he wrote for the Kinks
---Check out the following outstanding
albums....Hidden Treasure,THE UPC CODE,Chosen People and Bug

Last but not least, arguably the most influencial and most copied guitarist in rock... he created/invented so many rifts that were ripped off by so many artists it's amazing, and last some of the best solo's in the history of rock(check out I'm Not Like everbody else live from To The Bone for a taste....just a tip of the iceberg with solos..
honerable mention...listen to some of his vocal harmony(Waterloo Sunset which has as great a harmony vocal as any record in the past 50 years)

So to sumarise..Ray wins because, like Brian Wilson, Ray is one of the all-time greats but Dave is an amazing talent and one of my favorites
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1854
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  18 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions