Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Rob Thomas Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Name an artist or band that has remained consistently in your top 5 (the longest) throughout your life

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 557 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 31, 2013 5:39:40 AM PDT
Buddy Holly
the Beatles
PanterA

Posted on May 30, 2013 10:19:40 PM PDT
always a discussion about this around our bbq pits in the summer.....top five would be The Who, Led Zep, Rush, Triumph,Yes. next five would be U2, The Grateful Dead,Journey,Pink Floyd, The Beatles, with honorable mention going to Bob Marley!

Posted on May 30, 2013 8:56:45 PM PDT
King Crimson
Tom Waits
Beatles
Zappa
Grateful Dead
Todd Rundgren
Johnny Winter

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013 7:40:28 AM PDT
JP says:
Deep Purple and UFO are the 2 that are still making music, though the reasons I originally got into each (Blackmore and Schenker) are long gone.

Schenker's still making good music (got his new live BluRay, where he has the Scorpions rhythm section) a couple weeks ago. But, for the life of me, I CANNOT get into Blackmore's Knight so, for me, he ended with that last Rainbow album in the mid 90s.

Zappa is another and, though he has been dead almost 20 years, the family still seems to come up with unreleased, or at least new variations of, Zappa material to this day. And I still listen to the classic stuff often. (And Dweezil keeps it alive by touring frequently, often with musicians that played with Frank)

And Wizard, as to no one making music like that before.....there's a REASON The Original Mahavishnu Orchestra OPENED for Zappa & the Mothers in the early days. That early 70s line up (with George Duke, Ruth Underwood, Napolean Brock, Ralph Humphries and Chester Thompson, etc) was VERY much a jazz fusion group with some prog stylings too.

There's a funny video on The DrumChannel Website where Ralph Humphries discusses being nervous about going on AFTER Billy Cobham - and Ralph was certainly no slouch as a drummer himself!

As for 4 and 5? Probably Pink Floyd and Rush, though I'd have to fill it out with additional favorites Blue Oyster Cult, Pat Travers, Jethro Tull, and usual suspects like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Yes, ELP......heck 5 is HARD!!! lol

Posted on May 30, 2013 6:28:03 AM PDT
The Wizard says:
The Original Mahavishnu Orchestra. No One has made music like that, before or since.

Posted on May 26, 2013 12:16:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2013 12:16:44 AM PDT
cecisalas says:
FRANK POURCEL From France and his orchestra, in 1969, dedicate a hit written by Pourcel to Mexico and the famous Musicians Traditional Group MARIACHI. This is the same tittle for the melodie. Recorded at Mexico City EMI Studio with Mexican Orchestra Musicians members of the MEXICAN MUSIC WORKERS UNION. He was assisted by UNION President Venus Rey, deceased some years before POURCEL ( 2001 )

Posted on May 25, 2013 6:47:41 PM PDT
Music Man says:
I listened to all these artists before I was 20 years old and I'm still listening to them today in my late 50's:
Bob Dylan
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Neil Young
Joni Mitchell
The Eagles
Paul Simon
Jackson Browne
The Band
CSN(and Y)
Creedence/John Fogerty
Simon and Garfunkel
Bonnie Raitt
Bruce Springsteen

I still love all of these artists and some of them are still putting out great music.

Posted on May 23, 2013 10:32:50 PM PDT
cecisalas says:
THE BEATLES. They are the Kings of The Sixties.

Posted on May 23, 2013 4:20:02 PM PDT
Cordo says:
Easy (in no particular order)

The Kinks
The Moody Blues
The Who
ABBA
Lea Salonga (sings up a storm and is stone gorgeous)

I suspect that for most of us The Beatles being in there somewhere goes without saying.

It's too bad there isn't some sort of tool that can sift through threads like these and collate the results. Would be interesting as there seems to be a wide range of tastes here.

Posted on May 22, 2013 4:09:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2013 4:09:25 PM PDT]

Posted on May 22, 2013 3:05:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2013 3:06:12 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
This is a no brainer for me. Years listed are when I first heard them (I was 12 in '72):

Bob Dylan (1972)
Steely Dan (1972)
Genesis (1975)
Tom Waits (1975)
Tommy Bolin (1976)

The Replacements (and Westerberg solo), Oingo Boingo, Porcupine Tree, and Drive-By Truckers have since joined my top 9, with Opeth on the bubble

All others are on a lower tier. Except The Beatles, of course, who are on a higher plane than anyone else

Posted on May 22, 2013 2:59:32 PM PDT
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd
The Police (Sting)

Posted on May 22, 2013 2:23:58 PM PDT
U2
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
Beatles

Posted on May 22, 2013 2:06:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2013 2:14:28 PM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Not sure I completely understood the context of the question at hand, but since we're limited to 5, I'll just name the ones who are STILL producing some new music within the last few years (after 35+ years of performing):

Jackson Browne: Time the Conqueror
His latest album on new material is now about 4 years old, and it ain't no "Late For The Sky". But hey, it's Jackson, and it's some pretty good stuff here and there.

Mark Knopfler: Privateering [2 CD]

IMO, some of his more recent stuff is starting to sound a bit redundant. But, as one of my all time song writer and guitar heroes, Mark is still #1 in my book of long time favorites

David Gilmour: On An Island

His latest effort is now 7 years old. Don't know if he plans on doing any more. Many people have torn down this effort by Gilmour pretty badly. Yes, taken in context with the rest of the Gilmour/Pink Floyd catalogue, this is no superstar. But at least he made an effort. And put it in the context of the rest of today's general music inventory, and this is still a pretty good album.

Neil Young: Psychedelic Pill
I don't think Neil will stop until they throw the first shovelful of dirt on his casket! Is he still putting out classic gems like "After the Goldrush" or "Harvest"? Hell no. But again, still pretty good effort on it's own. I give him cred just for still having some decent musical ideas after over 45 years!!

Yes: Fly From Here

Yes in 2012? Unbelievable. I know the argument that this is not really Yes w/o Jon Anderson. And to much of an extent, I agree. But Yes has always had many incarnations. And although this is not the classic sounding Yes of the seventies, it still a decent release.

Steve Hackett: Beyond the Shrouded Horizon

Now here's the one exception to the rule. As the original guitar player from early Genesis (circa 1970), and producer of 24 solo albums ever since, even at 63 yrs old, this guy just keeps getting better and better IMHO! He's done 3 new CDs and 2 concert DVDs in just the last 2 years alone! He can't be stopped......and I don't want him to! As another one of my original inspirations on guitar, I wish him Godspeed and all the best the world has to offer. And for any old time Prog fans out there - if his 2011 "Beyond The Shrouded Horizon" is not in your collection yet....what are you waiting for? Destined to become another Prog classic on it's own, it is one wild musical ride!!

Posted on May 21, 2013 6:16:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 3:40:17 AM PDT
JBug says:
Beatles, Bowie, Stones

Posted on May 10, 2013 8:46:18 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Bump it up

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:38:36 AM PST
Musicologist says:
Joni Mitchell, Lucinda Willams, Linda Ronstadt, Paul Simon, James Taylor

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:34:05 AM PST
Musicologist says:
John Prine, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Eagles, Dylan, Rolling Stones

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 10:04:26 AM PST
Hank Williams Sr. remains my #1 choice ever snce I heard him when I was a small boy. Now at the age of 69 he's still on top. Such passion and soul in his songs,and his delivery was always tops. The Driftin Cowboys band was straight up country, with a great steel guitar!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 9:51:54 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
John Hiatt
Richard Thompson
Steve Earle
Dwight Yoakum
The Kinks and then leading into Ray through the years

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:41:50 AM PST
The Beatles
Cheap Trick
Jeff Lynne
Iron Butterfly
Fastball
Emitt Rhodes
Sons of Champlin
Al Green
Frank Sinatra
10CC
The Honeydogs
Bread
Jellyfish
Suzy Boguss
Gene Pitney

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 5:48:17 AM PST
Bruce Springsteen

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:35:53 PM PST
The Beatles

with Dylan right there.

Thanks
Bonnie

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:23:46 PM PST
The Beatles

with Dylan right there.

Thanks
Bonnie

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 11:12:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 11:12:55 AM PST
Constant would probably be the Rolling Stones. Keith's guitar riffs are stamped all over my guitar style, there's no question but other artists would be:

The Who
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan
Neil Young(solo or with Crazy Horse)
Yes
Paul Westerberg(solo or with the Replacements)
Faces
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple(mkII/70-73)
Black Crowes(92-97 and '05/06)
Blue Oyster Cult
The Clash
Ramones
Frank Zappa
and...The Beatles
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  411
Total posts:  557
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2010
Latest post:  May 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions