Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 12:37:37 PM PST
I am not kidding.

http://m.guardiannews.com/music/2012/dec/12/paul-mccartney-kurt-cobain-nirvana

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:37:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 3:38:08 PM PST
DKPete says:
I don't know how anyone is able to ignore this post/thread. I checked out the link...this should be very interesting...it actually sounds, shall we say, exciting. I have these backflashes of Paul from the 9/11 concert doing that awful, self-indulgent song for Heather...and, of course, that brilliant anthem of social justice called Freedom. I honestly hope he hasn't written a new song in honor of the storm victims..for all his greatness as one of the most significant songwriters of our time, he simply doesn't seem to be too good at this sort of thing...he should just stick to the "classics" and give people a good time. Re: the "Nirvana" thing...I honestly can't wait to see it. Thanks for the "heads up".

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:15:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 4:16:39 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Well, he should have common ground with the surviving band members. They both were in bands with a guy who got led around by his less-talented wife and met an unfortunate end courtesy of a firearm.

Before anyone gives me an unhelpful, consider others could've typed this snarky comment and been a lot more mean-spirited . . . and clever come to think of it.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:30:48 AM PST
Hinch says:
Wow! Very interesting indeed.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:45:47 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2012 12:04:46 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:05:22 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Yeah, but do we need a new Kurt Cobain, or indeed an old Paul McCartney?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:01:56 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Lets be fair here, Macca isn't taking Cobain's place. Dave Grohl invited Macca to play some NEW material for the Hurricane Sandy benefit gig. Regardless whether Macca's voice is up to the job or not, for the casual music listener, which most folk are, his name is known throughout the globe and is still a huge worldwide attraction. Perfect for the Olympics or benefit concert.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:01:53 AM PST
that song they performed last night was great!! it will in the soundtrack for dave grohl's movie that will be coming out next year also...it's about Sound City Studios....will be a great movie!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:14:43 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Best tune of the 12-12-12 show!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:20:26 AM PST
if they could of not had Kanye West, i would of enjoyed pretty much the whole show...not a huge fan of Billy Joel, but i can handle him in small amounts like that, and Alicia Keys isn't really my type of music, but i think she did really well, and she's quite pretty in my opinion.

I loved Bruce, the Stones, The Who, and Paul the most..

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:42:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 11:00:25 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I thought the Stones were the worst of the bands I expected to be good.
Two songs and one of them was You Got Me Rocking...say what?
Buscemi let um have it when he said you had to watch him talk because the Stones only played two songs.

Clapton was ho hum...Gotta Get Better was very good but the rest???

As always for me you can't beat The Who and PETE knew it when he told everyone at the end of their set, "Go get a F'N beer!"
Sorta "we're done, show over", moment...typical PETE humor.
Bellboy was a show stopper.

Joel IS always good at shows like this.
Miami 2017 was another show stopper.

Chris Martin (can't handle Coldplay) and Stipe did an excellent version of Losing My Religon.

Macca shocked me...great setlist except for the semi newer tune.
Live and Let Die should have ended the show.
Again...best tune of the night was the one he played with "the nicest guy in rock" the great Dave Ghrol.

But Rog with his morose themed tunes took the show! (Along with The Oo'.)

Bruce was Bruuuce and Sandler was the funniest!

Best all around event show of it's type I can remmber in a loooong time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:41:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 10:46:00 AM PST
bass boy says:
Hey viva,

Glad you enjoyed The Who, too. I thought they sounded strong. Roger sounds stronger vocally now than the last couple times I saw The Who (2006, 2007 - although those were great shows.) Glad Pete took back the "Don't cry ..." verse break in "Baba O'Riley" from Roger, and glad they did two tracks from "Quadrophenia." I thought by them playing "Bell Boy" and even "Love Reign O'er Me" that they took a chance with the set, rather than just do only the huge hits. I wished they had included a couple more shots of Pino and Simon, but I was pleased with the set. And Simon is right - this is the best Zak has sounded since possibly The Who's 2000 tour, although Zak is always strong.

Loved Waters, too, but I wish he played more bass. Lol! That's probably why I favor his "Dark Side" 2008 show I saw over the recent "The Wall Live" show I saw, simply because Waters played a whole lot more bass on the 2008 tour. Seeing him without a bass or guitar on for six, seven, eight songs just is odd. Lol! :) But he was good.

I liked the Stones too, but they took "Jumpin' Jack Flash" way too slow for some reason - Jagger stumbled vocally early on in the track, and then looked at Richards to re-sync the rhythms/beats. It would have been good to see them do three or four more songs.

I liked Clapton as a trio, too. We never see enough of Slowhand not leaning on a second guitarist and keyboard. Willie Weeks is a bass monster, and was that Steve Jordan on drums with Clapton and Weeks?

As far as Macca shocking you, yeah, the old southpaw still has it. The two Macca shows I caught (2005, 2009) rank up close behind The Who in my book. These bands' power is even greater in person, rather than just through the TV.
And don't you think the media really milked/amped up the Macca/Nirvana thing? Did Paul or Dave ever say, word for word, that McCartney was going to "replace" Cobain? I saw it simply as a temporary union, like Waters and Eddie Vedder for this event.

P.S. I, too, loved Townshend's comments for the crowd to go get a beer. And his words about the first responders and others in the crowd that they're did and are still doing "a good job." Good stuff. :)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:56:15 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
It was kinda cool watching Paul playing his Bo Diddly steel ukelele with two slides.Very Heavy indeed!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:51:52 AM PST
alysha25 says:
I loved Paul McCartney with Nirvana! I admit, I was Expecting something kind-of Lame from the concert. But found I really enjoyed it.I guess it reminded me that Paul McCartney Once rocked and still actually can. Ditto for the Who especially, also loved Roger Waters! I tried to record it, but something went wrong with my DVR, too bad.

I agree with the person who said Kayne West wasn't so great. I Tried to comprehend Rap/ Hip Hop, but I guess I don't. What bothered me most, I realized, is that There isn't even a single tune or melody running through his "song". I "get" that it's supposed to be "art" or portraying something, his sense of anguish. I even heard "20th Century Schizoid Man" in there, and thought , oh cool! But then the songs in the backround just switched to something else, all trying to convey some idea or feeling, or story I guess. Oh and also , he wore a dress.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:54:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 11:54:51 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I dug the black leather skirt...if I ever were to wear one I'd want one exactly like it.

Did his background vocalists start singing the line, "Feats don't fail me now"?
I coulda swore I heard that.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:24:11 PM PST
It was a great concert. I really enjoyed it. Roger's voice is really starting to go. Was that Kanye West and Olivia Wilde as one of the presenters ? A few minor complaints but all in all it was really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:56:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 1:58:45 PM PST
Bass Boy ~

The Who played an interesting (different) set from the standard Super Bowl-awards show: "Baba/Pinball/Who Are You/Won't Get Fooled Again" four hits get on -get off appearance that has gone down now for the last 15 years. "Tea & Theater" was a good touch and Roger looking back at the images of Keith Moon on the big screen was touching as you cannot picture Mick Jagger ever having giant photos of Brian Jones being shown on stage during his performance!

Roger had a bit of a ragged voice last night and I think he has had his vocal chords operated upon...Points for Daltrey TRYING to hit notes his body won't let him reach anymore...He is still a soldier.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:13:05 PM PST
And Keith Moon is still alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:36:19 PM PST
Severin says:
I thought Roger yelled his way through 'Who Are You' but did an outstanding job on 'Love, Reign O'er Me'. I was impressed that he even attempted, it's the toughest song in the Who's repertoire.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:48:15 PM PST
Roger once said that "I'm a Boy" was the hardest Who song to sing as Pete left no room in there for Roger to take a breath! And Pete today says: "Roger gave life to those songs and I never gave him the credit back then but just like Keith, John and myself on drums, bass and guitar the vocals he contributed cannot be performed by anyone else....Rog is Rog!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 3:46:08 PM PST
DKPete says:
Joe, I'm totally surprised at how people are saying good thing about Roger Daltrey's voice...while I give him an A++ for effort, watching/listening to him was a painful and sad experience for me, personally. I love The Who and always thought he had one of the richest, most powerful voices in all of Rock. Last night was a real struggle to my ears.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:05:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 1:44:24 PM PST
Pete ~

I gave Roger points for trying to sing but, my point was that his voice was indeed ragged last night and I have had a problem with his vocals since I first heard: "Endless Wire" a few years back. I think Roger's vocal chords have seen an operation or three!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:47:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:51:16 AM PST
bass boy says:
Philip says ""Tea & Theater" was a good touch and Roger looking back at the images of Keith Moon on the big screen was touching as you cannot picture Mick Jagger ever having giant photos of Brian Jones being shown on stage during his performance!"

Exactly. I love the Stones, but The Who are on such a higher playing field when it comes to performance, instrumental prowess and writing. I always joke that The Who is the thinking man's Stones. It's kind of true. The Stones sounded OK but "Jumpin' Jack Flash" was waaaay too slow. Even Mick thought so, as he turned to Keith during the first verse, to find his vocal footing with the rhythm.

I thought Roger's voice wasn't that bad. He doesn't have the lung power he once had, and his voice isn't what it was in 1976, but he hit most of the notes last night. Heck, I tried singing Who songs with one of my old bands when we were 20 years old, and it was HARD to sing that stuff. I can't imagine being 67 and trying to sing those songs. Lol!
Roger had surgery on his throat before the Super Bowl performance in 2010. I saw him later that summer, at a solo show with Simon Townshend on guitar, and Roger sounded stronger than he did in 2007.
A guitar playing friend of mine who is just now getting into The Who (a late bloomer. :) ) said he was amazed with "Love Reign O'er Me" at the show.
Kudos for Roger hitting most of the notes, and for The Who not dropping down their tunings for the song a la The (good) Police. When people drop tune their songs, it gives the songs a strange character. The original tunings work best. :)

Counting down the days until Feb. 14, when The Who storm through Tulsa. :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:03:03 PM PST
Stratocaster says:

Posted on May 11, 2013 6:17:57 PM PDT
It's 2013 and our lads may have a go soon...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  May 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions