Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Who live at Hull 1970 CD coming in Nov. 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2012 10:56:26 AM PDT
bass boy says:
Another upcoming Who release that almost got by me - The Who's Hull concert from 1970 that was released as part of the giant Live at Leeds Deluxe Box Set a year or two ago. Universal is supposedly putting this concert out as a stand-alone 2 CD set in November. I sure hope they switched the stereo channels back to their proper locations - the boxed set version had Pete's guitar in the left channel and John's bass in the right. :)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:40:17 PM PDT
Apparently the Super Deluxe Edition did not sell like they hoped. I heard the Hull concert and thought it was dull compared to Leeds. Why Roger Daltrey thinks Hull was a better show is beyond me. The crowd sounded listless, and apparently The Who felt uninspired enough to NOT return for the Magic Bus encore.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:46:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 12:46:43 PM PDT
Severin says:
I can tell them why it didn't sell, I stopped buying "Live At Leeds" after the 3rd version. Greed-heads.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:47:07 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
I agree with "Fingers" Leeds is more energetic...Hull is dull!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 3:30:53 PM PDT
Bass Boy ~

I just spotted the "Live at Hull" set only minutes before I discoverd your thread here. I have never heard this show as I didn't take the bait for the super-deluxe version of "Live at Leeds" that costs more than my first car did. Is this concert worth the 30-plus dollars that they want for it?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 6:25:49 PM PDT
bass boy says:
I haven't heard this show before, but if they do correct the stereo signals (put Pete back in the right channel, and Entwistle in the left, where they belong), I'll jump and get it, even if it doesn't topple "Live at Leeds." Heck, I even like "Join Together," the 1990 double live CD from the 1989 tour, I'm that big of a Who freak, so the "Hull" set, even though maybe not as magestic as "Leeds," will be a worthy addition (along with the excellent 1975 Houston DVD coming out soon, too.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 7:20:01 PM PDT
I have the ITunes files of the Super Deluxe Edition with the Hull concert. The channels are not reversed - guitar is on the right and bass on the left.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:15:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 7:15:40 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Bass boy:
Flip your headphone around or just spin your couch a 180 degrees and you should be okay.
I can't help you if you are listening to it in a car ;)

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 8:13:25 AM PDT
If you stand on yer' head as you are listening to headphones you would swear it's the Rolling Stones at Hull and not The Who!

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 8:35:59 AM PDT
bass boy says:
Ha, you guys. You guys are funny. :) Seriously, though, I had heard that the Hull CD from the Super Deluxe version had the channels switched. Does anyone know for sure that both the iTunes version and the physical CD versions have Pete in the right speaker? Sure, it's not the end of the world if Pete's guitar is in the left channel, but it would be a little odd. Lol! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 2:12:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 2:13:17 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
"I can't help you if you are listening to it in a car."

----

Go in reverse maybe?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:44:43 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Maybe...but please...NOT ON THE L.A. FREEWAYS!!!

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:32:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 9:33:12 AM PDT
bass boy says:
No, no, no, .... no car. Lol! :)

Seriously, does the Super Deluxe CD version not have Pete in the left speaker?

As for the cover art for this release (at least what's seen on amazon), I think they could have done better. Check out the terrific 1976 Day on the Green stage shot of The Who that graced the back cover of the "Greatest Hits Live" CD. Too bad they didn't find a similar Hull/1970 shot of the band for this new release's cover art. :)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:37:25 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Like Moon and Entwistle sharing groupies...at least according to Pete's new book ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:03:55 PM PDT
i got a pre order from cd japan.co.jp for this who live in hull 2 cd digi pack set, in japan it will release as a 2 cd set, i have the live at leeds box set from 2010 with the hull and leeds shows and i have a 4 cd bootleg from around 16 or 17 years ago of both hull and leeds, of coarse i pre ordered this but i think the leeds show is the better of the two, this is coming out soon yet there is very little info on the net about this and as far as today goes no us realese date on amazon yet, anyway looking foward to watching the houston 75 dvd this weekend, i have that as an audio boot as well, regards

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:07:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 7:09:00 PM PST
Live At Hull is indeed a powerful live show, with some songs (Shakin' All Over and My Generation) actually better than The Live at Leeds recordings. It is a must for all Who fans. The Who were definitely on top of their game in 1970. I am glad what is left of The Who are on the road again but boy do I miss Entwistle and Moon.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:13:39 PM PST
I don't know about the channels being switched, but I did read that some of the tapes weren't in very good condition so they used bass parts from other performances on some of the songs.

Not that it matters, just putting it out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 4:57:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:00:02 AM PST
Yes, the Hull CD has bass parts on the first six songs flown in from the Leeds concert.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:02:01 PM PST
Just got a copy of this in hand. WHO wants it?

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:43:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:44:32 AM PST
I really wish they would start releasing some of the great live stuff from the '71 'Who's Next' US tour, the '73 'Quadrophenia' US and UK shows, and the '75-'76 'Who By Numbers' World Tour shows. They always pick stuff from the '69-'70 period and, as great as those shows were, we've got enough from the whole Tommy/Woodstock/Leeds era. They've got plenty of other great live material in the vaults.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:41:53 AM PST
bass boy says:
Hey Robert,

Pick up the new Who Live in Texas 1975 DVD. Although it's only a two-camera shoot (the venue's cameras for the big screens) and the sound isn't perfect, it's a terrific DVD to own.

Yeah, I, too, wish they would release more live CDs and DVDs - Charlton 1974 (complete), Charlton 1976 and the "Who's Next" and original "Quadrophenia" tours.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:27:41 AM PST
bass boy,

Thanks for the recommendation - I've got the 'Live in Texas' DVD on order and can't wait to see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:40:40 AM PST
Not so sure the deluxe box set didn't sell, try finding one other than on the secondary market. Even then they are $200 and up for a sealed copy. It was either very limited or a ton were destroyed after not selling. Fortunately I was able to get one upon release and have left it sealed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Oct 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions