Customer Discussions > Music forum

Looking for the WORST country music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 250 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:15:50 AM PST
Anyone remember Ringo's foray into C/W?
It came out about 1970, called "Beaucoups of Blues"

I would have thought the whole thing was satire, but he hired some serious session folks for this album.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:55:45 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:17:50 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:19:05 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:20:27 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:20:06 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
E. Dill says: "Wow. No doubt. Taylor already has become the country music version of Madonna. For the millions who love her, there are millions who call her talentless, ugly, etc."

ED - No, I'm not one of those who think she's talentless or ugly. And to be honest, I've only heard the one new single from her album. But the reason I brought it up was, I can't for the life of me understand how they can market her new music as COUNTRY!! The song I heard had no country sound, no country feel, no country instrumentation. It's pretty much straight up girl pop. It sounds more like she trying to emulate the likes of a Katie Perry or Lady Gaga. I guess because she still holds and strums an acoustic guitar while she performs, that makes it qualify as "Country" LOL? Anyway, to me, it's very disappointing. She was one of the few artists who I had hopes for in the country genre, believing that as she matured she would be able to bring some authenticity and quality back to country music. Oh well, I guess I'm still stuck with my Allison Krauss (NOT a bad thing BTW).

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:20:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:22:02 PM PST
Hinch says:
I love good country music but I always hated "Watermelon Crawl" and anything else by Tracy Ty...I mean Byrd. Early Tim McGraw such as "Getting Down On The Farm" is pretty bad too.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:27:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:27:33 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:28:57 PM PST
Brian says:
Meade Music

Shudders...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:35:42 PM PST
Hinch says:
I love Patsy Cline, but a lot of music in the 60s was overproduced with too many strings. Hank Jr had a few albums like that. Ray Price also went through a period with overproduced strings in his music.

They even released some albums of Hank Sr with strings added. They were horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:37:48 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:38:23 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:39:23 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:41:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:41:19 PM PST
Hinch says:
I'd say that about myself too if I was trying to promote my records.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:42:32 PM PST
Hinch says:
There's talent in every genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:50:02 PM PST
Do we really need another Meade Skelton thread here?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:51:28 PM PST
Music Luver says:
Country music is talented? How can music be talented? Performers can be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:51:59 PM PST
Music Luver says:
Hinch - he certainly doesn't know how to "market" them...eh?? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:56:27 PM PST
Hinch says:
Music luver

:-)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:47:21 PM PST
Hinch says:
Barbara Mandrell is another you can listen to for some bad country music.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:55:10 PM PST
Gusula says:
I get the feeling that most of the people who are dogging Taylor Swift aren't really fans of today's "new country" sound in general - so I'll withhold my judgment until I hear from someone who really does like today's country sound, but still can't stand Miss Swift. It's funny to me how this generational argument keeps looping around, over and over again. I remember when old school country fans were complaining about the 80s sound in country - it was too modern, too "poppy," not country enough. Even an artist like Randy Travis wasn't traditional enough for these diehards. Just think about how traditional those guys sound today when compared to Swift and company - and how traditional Swift & co. will sound 20 years from now...can't wait for a diehard country fan to complain that this new crap doesn't sound enough like Taylor!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:21:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 10:24:08 PM PST
Hinch says:
Gusula

I think you make a good point.

I'm not a fan of modern country music, and I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Taylor, but she has had a few songs I liked.

I agree there have always been people who criticized country music for not being "real" country.

Roy Acuff said if it didn't have a fiddle, it wasn't country music. Marty Robbins was criticized for bringing horns onto The Grand Ole Opry. The Urban Cowboy movement was said to be not real country. Waylon and Willie and others in the so called outlaw movement were criticized.

I live in Nashville. The first time I heard Waylon Jennings or Hank Jr on the radio was on an FM rock station in the early 70s. Nashville and country radio rejected them because they had long hair. Nashville also rejected The Byrds and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band for the same reason. All four of the artists/bands I mentioned are now considered to be icons or pioneers of country music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:01:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 1:18:53 AM PST
Hinch,

It was a Nashville DJ who dissed The Byrds on air that inspired them to write "Drug Store Truck Driving Man", one of my favorite latter-day Byrds songs. (Performed by Joan Baez at Woodstock a few months later.)

Living in Nashville, do you recall the incident first hand?

For anyone unfamiliar with the song, here's a You Tube Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LflNIXDrNC0

The Byrds' version has just the right amount of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, something completely missing from Joan Baez's version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:33:23 AM PST
Hinch says:
You're probably talking about Ralph Emery.

In the 80s and 90s he hosted Nashville Now and had Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman (separately) as guests several times. I think Gene Glark may have appeared on there too. You'd never have known how he treated them in the early years. Maybe they had forgiven him, but he acted as if he had always been a fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:49:44 AM PST
Yeah. Definitely Ralph Emery.

At the end of "Drug Store Truck Driving Man", during the fade out, you can hear one of them say "This one's for you, Ralph."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:47:23 AM PST
Hinch says:
Love that song! It's on one of my favorite Byrd's albums DR BYRDS AND MR HYDE. I'll have to listen for that fadeout. I never noticed that comment. The song was written by McGuinn and Gram Parson's before Gram left the band.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:53:02 AM PST
Randy says:
WHat an interesting idea for a thread!

I love country music(though I don't like what passes for mainstream country these days), but there have been a lot of truly BAD country songs over the years. A few off the top of my head:

"Indian OUtlaw" by TIm McGraw
"Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus
"Phone Call From God" by Jerry Jordan(?)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  250
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions