Customer Discussions > Music forum

Best LIVE records

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 108 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:45:36 AM PST
I forgot about the Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson stoytellers too. I was surprised by how much I liked that. I am a huge Cash fan but not as much Willie Nelson but I really dug the whole show.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:18:00 PM PST
Working Man says:
I am kind of embarrased to say that I just heard for the very first time Beck, Bogert and Appice Live. Wow, I am impressed. I always respected and liked Jeff Beck, but he's been a little too "fusion" for my taste since the mid 70's and while I liked the Jeff Beck Group, I don't think I like it nearly as much as Beck, Bogert and Appice. Great album, I cannot believe I missed out on it all these years.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 9:05:59 PM PST
Marillion's "Sounds Live London 2012"...Excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 5:45:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 6:10:35 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Working Man -- I'm with ya on Jeff Beck's mid-70's output: too fusion-y for my taste. "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" were great statements of diversity for him and featured some great playing by both him and his backing musicians, but I rarely listen to either today.

BUT... you'd be mistaken to think he's been stuck in that mode since. His 1980 release (There and Back) dialed it down a good bit and by the time of 1985's "Flash", it was all but gone (although I wouldn't recommend "Flash" by any stretch; I have it as the worst album of his career, but not because it's too fusion-y).

But check out ANY of these releases, which imo are among the very best of his entire career, and you'll hear that not only is the fusion gone, but that it's Jeff Beck like you've never heard him. Still (mostly) rooted in the blues and rock, but with a thoroughly modern twist:

Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop With Terry Bozzio And Tony Hymas

Who Else

You Had It Coming

Jeff

His recent live album (Live at Ronnie Scott's) put something of a fusion-y spin back in the mix, but the 4 studio albums from 1989-2003 are must-haves for anyone even remotely interested in Beck, instrumental rock or just innovative guitar playing.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:07:57 AM PST
Tim L. says:
Blue Oyster Cult - Some Enchanted Evening

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:54:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 4:40:13 PM PST
eastrich2010 says:
the who-live at leeds,stones-get yer ya-yas out,hendrix-live at winterland,in the west,bbc radio one,band of gypsys,led zep-bbc sessions,rory gallagher-live in europe,irish tour 74,johnny winter and live,and live at the fillmore east 10-3-70,deep purple-made in japan,made in europe,hawkwind-space ritual,motorhead-no sleep till hammersmith,judas priest-unleashed in the east,ac/dc-if you want blood,nebula-bbc peel sessions,robin trower-live,gary moore-blues for jimi,humble pie- rockin the fillmore,j.geils-live full house,mc5 kick out the jams,kiss alive 1,nugent double live gonzo,these are my favorites.rock on!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:33:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 4:37:36 PM PST
JP says:
Eastrich2001 -

Ever seen Gary Moore's Emerald Isles? Filmed in Dec 1984 on the same tour the "We Want Moore" live CD was recorded on (similar track list too) it is, IMHO, Gary's greatest live release. It also has the distinction of featuring one of Phil Lynott's last public performances when he comes on stage for Parisienne Walkways.

I bought the VHS way back in 1985, have darn near worn it out, and why, to this day, it has never been released on DVD is one of rock music's great mysteries!!

About 3 years ago I gave up, and captured & burned it to DVDr myself. Of course it's not exactly HD and just stereo sound, so a good BluRay with DTS HD sound would be awesome!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:49:21 PM PST
Working Man says:
zlh67, I have not heard Guitar Shop, Who Else, You Had it Coming or Jeff. I have seen the Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD a few times and yes, the fusion did seem to be still there. As for Wired and Blow by Blow, I used to listen to Wired a lot while doing homework. I usually had music on while studying and Wired along with Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII were my only two all intrumental albums and I used to like to study to them because lyrics would sometimes distract me. I will have to check out those other albums though. For now, I am enjoying Beck, Bogert and Appice studio and live as I missed these two albums way back when.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:52:44 PM PST
Twin Peaks is a really cool record. Lots of great riffs. And Leslie West screams it all to sky. Great heavy guitar tone. Really cool stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:06:42 PM PST
eastrich2010 says:
JP-i never saw the emerald isles show,i got into moore with the still got the blues and after hours cds.when i heard voodoo child off blues for jimi on college radio,i was BLOWN AWAY! I worship the heavy blues rock guitarists and live albums. I am going to order ten years after-live at the fillmore 1970 tonight after seeing rave reviews on amazon.that johnny winter and live 10-3-70 smoked to!

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:22:22 PM PST
eastrich2010 says:
more live stuff:that 1st UFO live album from 1972 with mick bolton on guitar,was it called live in japan on the vynyl record? I thought it was awesome.i heard mountains twin peaks had poor production,is this true?leslie west is one of my all time favorites.what about that beck bogart appice live in japan 75 import,is it OK or good or what?can anybody clue me in?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:45:26 AM PST
Working Man says:
One of my favorites that is not standalone album is:

disc 4 from Free's "Songs of Yesterday" box set

It's a great live set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:26:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:27:31 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Working Man -- Yeah, funny that you would tune out only to check back in on the one album that Beck does got back to the fusion sound a little bit. The 4 albums I mention in between are not only stellar, but feature not a hint of fusion to be found.

Here's perhaps my favorite cut from any of those albums, "What Mama Said" from 1999's "Who Else!" cd. Very cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsOfQVTkmDw

There's some blues and straight rock on there too, but several cuts feature an almost "techno" vibe that I ordinarily wouldn't like, but the particular rhythms Beck offers are really solid and with what he plays on top, I was hooked.

If you like your rock a little more straightforward, you might start with 1989's "Guitar Shop" instead. Jeff rocks it up and the incomparable Terry Bozzio lights it up on drums.

Here's a few of my fave cuts from that album, starting with the title track:

GUITAR SHOP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J21JU6jckls

SAVOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBgcN_nMeo

STAND ON IT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjEDcFmCEZY

And THIS one just RIPS: SLINGSHOT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl1tTYto218

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:40:30 AM PST
Clapton Goon says:
Waiting for Columbus - Little Feat
Live at Ronnie Scott's... - Jeff Beck
Live at Ronnie Scott's - Peter Green Splinter Group
Live Rust - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Live Bootleg - Aerosmith
Live! - Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles
Live at the Regal - B. B. King

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:15:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:04:34 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Not sure HOW I left "Unleashed in the East" by Judas Priest off my list; probably my favorite album of theirs, live or studio.

And I revisited Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall" this weekend and that too is really, really good for capturing Neil live performing some of his earlier more acoustic based stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:15:12 PM PST
Working Man says:
zlh67, wow, You Tube has this cool link for Jeff Beck - 1974-2011 - 14 Albums. It's everything from those years and I have been catching up the past couple of days. Some of it still a little to jazzy/funky but there's plenty of good rock in their. Guitar Shop and Flash seem to stand out so far, but I have not gotten all the way through yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAz6wSHMR8

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:29:34 PM PST
DACHokie says:
Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
The Who - Live at Leeds
Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out
Kiss - Alive!
Multiple Artists - The Band's "The Last Waltz"
Mutiple Artists - Monterey Pop Festival
Multiple Artists - Woodstock
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:36:42 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Working Man -- yeah, i saw that too when i was looking for the individual Guitar Shop songs but figured that might be information overload for ya... Glad you're digging it though.

"Flash" though? Wow, I could barely get through that one. It's one of just a couple of Beck albums that I could be completely fine never hearing again. Been a while since I played the whole thing but for my taste I recall way too many 80's sounding keyboards and songs with bad/mediocre vocals by someone (I know Rod Stewart guests on "People Get Ready" and that's fine, but there's another vocalist on 2-3 other songs as I recall, and I didn't like those a bit...).

Re there still being a fusion flavor, you might be thinking of 1980's "There and Back" album which is still a bit fusiony (and also not a huge favorite of mine); on "Guitar Shop" from 1989 he does put in touches of reggae (Behind the Veil) and some groovin' stuff that I guess could be considered a little "funky" (Savoy) and he even adds a little Techno flavor to some of the stuff on "Who Else!" and the couple of albums right after that one (You Had It Coming, Jeff), but I don't hear any jazz/fusion on them, certainly nothing like the Blow by Blow/Wired era stuff.

Glad you're digging in though! I think Beck is probably the most misunderstood of the great 60's guitarists in that so many think he's a relic that did some blues-based stuff and some acclaimed fusion albums in the 70's who's been living off of that ever since, but I find his best work to have taken place in the last couple of decades.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:13:09 PM PST
JP says:
Eastrich2001 -

If you like "heavy blues rock guitarists and live albums" then you simply MUST get the following DVDs:

Gary Moore and the Midnight Blues Band Live at Montreux 1990 - filmed on the Still Got the Blues tour with special guest Albert Collins!

Gary Moore Live at the 2003 Monsters of Rock Festival

I also recently got the BluRay of Gary's final performance at Montreux, filmed only 7 months before his death. His voice isn't what it was, but his playing is STILL top notch.

Funny thing - I saw him live but didn't know it for almost 20 years!! I went to see Queen in 1977, didn't recognize the opening band, but when they played The Boys Are Back in Town I said "ah...that's who they are" and have been a Thin Lizzy fan ever since. In fact I "discovered" Gary because of Black Rose album. And searched out the vinyl of his Back on the Streets and Dirty Fingers solo albums shortly afterwards.

So, almost 20 years later, I'm reading a rock encyclopedia and it says "Brian Robertson breaks hand in bar fight, Gary Moore fills in for American leg of tour with Queen". Needless to say I was FLOORED!!

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:39:12 PM PST
Working Man says:
Yes, I agree Flash does have that 80's sound. It's a lot to absorb and I found I few things I liked on Flash. I am just sample Frankie's Place which looks like a soundtrack and Crazy Legs which sounds like a 50's record. It is cool though, at least I can sample all the albums and decide which if any I want to buy.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:42:54 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Correct, Frankie's Place is indeed a soundtrack he did with Jed Lieber from 1992. Not my favorite but there's a couple of keepers. Crazy Legs is Beck's tribute to Gene Pitney guitarist Cliff Gallup and that's one of the few (semi)-recent Beck albums I've not heard, so I need to get to that link and check it out myself! Like the more-recent "Rock and Roll Party" honoring Les Paul, it's a look back, not forward, which is not really what I look to Beck for, but I'm sure it's pretty cool too and I'll likely pick it up at some point. One last reccomendation if you find that you like "Who Else!" as much as me: his 1999 tour is documented on a very commonly available bootleg cd and dvd and it is SUPERB. I've seen Beck on every tour since '89 and it's the bomb. That is the favorite boot in my entire collection and I have 100 or more from various artists.

Live in Tokyo 1999

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:10:28 PM PST
Working Man says:
It's a lot to go through and I do like "Who Else" so far. Obviously, I have been listening to these albums only once and a few songs I have repeated so, the jury is still out on much of the catalogue. I didn't get to "Rock and Roll Party" yet, but I've listened or sampled to the rest.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:48:40 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Yep, I used it to check out the live BBA album which I hadn't heard before. It's a bit uneven to me, but some good cuts too. I have the rest of those albums except Crazy Legs, which I'll be checking out next.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:36:37 PM PST
eastrich2010 says:
JP-thanx for the info,I will have to pick that up.I just recieved Ten Years After-live at the fillmore east 1970,it smokes!one more i forgot off my original list was Foghat-live,the song off it,honey hush kinda sounded like a speeded up version of train kept a rollin.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:51:33 PM PST
JP says:
Foghat Live on King Biscuit is pretty awesome too. A live version of Night Shift and I actually think the Slow Ride is even better than on the clasic live album.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions