Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1854 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 6, 2011 1:00:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2011 6:12:14 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
How can anyone expect a songwriter/ performer keep producing at the level Ray was from Kinka kinks thru Muswell Hillbillies(8 records plus singles) something had to give. Everybody's in Showbiz, through Soap Opera, although not on the level of these earlier albums, these records still had some incredible moments(example: Sitting in My Hotel, You Don't Know My Name, Celluloid Heroes, Money talks, Sweet lady geneivieve, One of The Survivors, Sitting In the Midday Sun,Underneath the Neon sign, You make it all Worthwhile to name a few). They never embarassed themselves...there lesser songs were still real good to supurb. My only qualm is that these records didn't utilize Dave all all, and i think that hurt. That all changed next...Schoolboys Disgrace though Low Budget were back to some incredible music, great albums, some of the best best of the '70's!! Misfits, i feel didn't get it's due, with Rock and Roll Fantasy and Misfits as the template for this album the Kinks produced one of their best and one of the most underated albums of the '70. The '80's had the real good, Give the people What they Want and songs like Do it Again, Good Day,Summers Gone all from Word of Mouth etc. Following this they came out with State Of Confusion, another terribly underated album, it was full of outstanding songs, singing and playing. This leaves Think Visual, UK Jive and Phobia....again some great songs, and again some of Rays best. the point to all of this? NO GROUP OR SINGER has had the incredible out-put as Ray Davies/The Kinks. Even Ray and Dave's solo albums are terrific. They have been doing this for 47 years....think about this when you talk about this wonderful band.

GOD SAVE THE KINKS!

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 1:46:21 AM PDT
I agree that the RCA albums were underrated and each had some very good moments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 1:00:19 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
To A. P. Walker Heart of Gold - One of my favorite kinks songs, it is beautiful with lyrics only Ray can write! He writes some of the most beautiful songs ever, like Get Back in Line, Days, This is Where I Belong, and of course the greatest of all Waterloo Sunset!! I can name so much more.

Ed

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 12:30:33 PM PST
Eddie H. says:
What no more Kinks info, items,favorite album, or stuff you remember?????

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:07:26 PM PST
Anyone heard the Dave Davies newly released lost album compilation Hidden Treasures ?

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 12:17:20 PM PST
Eddie H. says:
Unfortunatly Hidden Treasure has many songs(Maybe all songs that have been released before), very dissappointed...he must have songs in the vaults somewhere that were never put out with The Kinks, because Ray didn't want to or he also maybe has songs from his solo albums that were never put out.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 1:29:23 PM PST
"Picture Book" looks like a cool set, but pricey...I intend to get all the Kinks stuff on CD in time, one way or another.

My brother saw Ray last Saturday when he played the House of Blues here in Cleveland...he got a free ticket from this guy who wanted to go but was unable to drive due to being in a wheelchair. That got them decent placement in the HOB, and my brother was pleasantly surprised at how good the show was. He wanted to sneak in this special recorder to get the show, but decided not to as HOB security is too tight.

I saw Dave solo a couple of times and was pleased...lots of energy, did all the songs you could want and more. And yes, I saw the full band in '79, for the "Low Budget" tour, when I was starting in high school.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 12:18:31 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
I just saw the track list on "treasures" & I think I have 'em all except "Crying"....(not even sure what era that's from?)....It looks like a great Kollection by an under rated genius.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 12:28:51 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
Do You Wish To Be A Man, Crying, and Are You Ready were all previously unreleased. Good Luck CFharm is the studio version which was not previously released. There are also other unreleased mixes and versions of songs previously released.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 3:20:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012 9:29:00 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Check out this article in the LA Times (this was on Dave Emblens web site...check out the last line..
Beatles versus the Stones: Who's better?
January 23, 2012 | 5:44 pm
Beatles versus the Stones: Who's better?

Friday night at the Brixton South Bay in Redondo Beach, a score was settled. It's a question that historians have wrestled with, that drunken pub-goers have come to blows over, that has broken up thousands of otherwise happy couples over the last four decades: Which is the better band, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Although the answer to this musical litmus test is obvious to anyone with half a brain (see below for details), two tribute acts, Abbey Road and Jumpin' Jack Flash, sought to definitively answer this question in a contest of dueling sets made up of formative era-songs of the mid-1960s through their later work. (Considering the stakes, it was surprising that CNN and BBC satellite trucks weren't stationed outside.)

During the duel on Friday, the four-piece Abbey Road came out as the dark-suited, mop-topped young Beatles and dropped quality renditions of "She Loves You," "A Hard Day's Night," and "Can't Buy Me Love," while Jumpin' Jack Flash delivered the way raunchier - and darker and smarter, catchier and well, better - "Mother's Little Helper," "Paint It Black," and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." The next night, No Doubt cover band No Duh was on a bill with the Red Not Chili Peppers and 40 Oz. to Freedom, a Sublime tribute act. Below, a few other yin-and-yang couplings that might work well in the future - the preferences of which may or may not serve as a reliable barometer of a person's musical tastes.

But the Kinks are better than both combined.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 11:07:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 11:08:43 PM PST
Hinch says:
Imo, The Beatles beat The Stones(and The Kinks) although before I became aquainted with the Amazon forums, I didn't really think about it. I like them all, as well as The Byrds, Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane and many more. Certain people, for reasons unknown to me, have to pit one against the other, instead of just enjoying them for what they are....great bands. Why does one have to be "better" than another?

Prince beats MJ by far, imo.

As for the others mentioned, esp Gaga, Adele, Tupac, Biggie and Radiohead, i couldn't care less if I never hear them again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 1:35:01 AM PST
"Crying" was recorded in December 1968.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 11:46:58 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Looking and being in many of the threads and these discussions it's dissappointing that there is not more on this one...there are so many Kinks fans out there....it's good I guess to filter in the other discussions to get the message across...The Kinks are one of the most incredible bands on the planet with an unbelievable legacy and catalog that put most bands too shame...i am almost embarrised to talk about these other bands who Ray write rings around...it is frustrating!

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:02:04 PM PDT
The are plenty of Kinks fans out there and they are playing: "Schoolboys in Disgrace" it top volume right now.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:00:07 PM PDT
Cordo says:
I bought the Great Lost Kinks Album on vinyl when it came out. I am sorry that two tracks -- "Rosemary Rose" and "Pictures in the Sand" -- that are there didn't make the 3-disc "VGPS" set. If you want Dave's '60's songs, he put out an Anthology -- "Unfinished Business" -- in around 1998 that has all those songs on it as well as the title track, which was new. It also contains one of my favoriates of his -- Groovy Movies -- which sounds like it was recorded in the "Arthur" sessions.

I don't believe "Act Nice and Gentle," the B-side of "Waterloo Sunset" in Europe, still has appeared in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 7:27:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 7:32:37 PM PDT
Rosemary Rose DOES appear on the 3 disc set.
Doesn't Act Nice and Gentle appear as a bonus track on various editions of the Something Else album? (Like the 1998 edition. I'm not sure if the stereo mix is in print today).
There's a stereo and mono mix of Act... I think the mono one is the bonus track 0n the 1998 release. I seem to recall the stereo one sounding better, with the guitar not mixed so far back.
Davies refuses to release Pictures In the Sand, but I'm not sure why, like wise Till Death Us Do Part.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 8:59:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 9:04:19 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Bernard...I made my own Great Lost kinks Album on cd a few years back, I am not sure how I got Pictures in the Sand and Til death Do Us Part, but I have the cd in the order of the original album....it is a great album...if it would have come out when it was supposed to (1968--Four More Respectable Gentlemen) that would have been 9 consecutive outstanding albums...not too many artists could do that in the life of a career let alone in a 6 year period....there is 25 more years of kinks magic and then the great solo music..I love Dave's solo albums almost as much as Rays...Dave's 1st album (the UPC CODE), Chosen People and Bug are tremendous albums...anyway, The Kinks man, THE KINKS!

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 9:14:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 8:13:52 PM PDT
Eddie
I've heard Pictures... and Till Death... on You Tube, but nowhere else.
I've got Dave's first two albums on a single CD, but I think one or two tracks were omitted because of a lack of space.
I've got the latest "lost" album of Dave's. I like "Crying" best of the 'first time release' tracks.
There are differences between stereo and mono mixes of some Kinks tracks. Sometimes mono is better , sometimes stereo.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 9:57:54 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I love that album. The liner notes were also a work of art. I have it on a couple of boots but would love a proper reissue along with a Kinks Kronikles Remaster!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 9:59:55 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
Be careful with Unfinished Business as the UK and US are completely different with the US version having all Re-Recordings of many tracks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:07:50 PM PDT
Joyce says:
My Dearest Hinch and Everyone!:
yes, "someone" has read these books! I have, at Mitch's recommendation, as he has, also! I believe Bernard has also read both.....Eddie, I am not sure of, but if i were a "betting" person, I would say "yes".....
hi, everyone!
hope everyone is well/happy!
so this is where 1/2 of you are hiding out?
😍
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:24:02 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
Yes, I've read both, and have a few other books on the same subject that are worthwhile.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:41:40 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Bernard:
hey there, darlin', how are you doing???
thanks for the reply...what other books have you read on the subject (the Kinks), and what was your fav???
hope all is well....my best to your mum!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 8:36:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 8:50:12 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
I've been fine, hope you are too!
The other books include:
The Kinks: Well Respected Men - Neville Martin & Jeffrey Hudson
The Kinks: The Official Biography - Jon Savage
The Kinks: All Day and All Of the Night - Doug Hinman
The Story of the Kinks: You Really Got Me - Nick Hasted

I like all of them, the Doug Hinman book had a lot of info - covering month by month, year by year, of their career.
My mum is fine, hope all your family are too!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:46:43 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Joyce....I read Kinked by Dave Davies..(could you believe he had a sexual encounter/relationship-short lived- with Brian Jones and shared a apartment with him)....and X-Ray by Ray....both books riveting!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1854
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions