> I don't agree. John was just as talented as Paul. George wrote one of the greatest love songs of all
> time. "Something" has been called that, you know. Ringo was a mediocre drummer, but lovable.
The question was "Were The Beatles overrated", not "Were The Beatles good".
Ringo Starr was always recognized as a technically simple drummer (couldn't do rolls, apparently), but he worked very well for the music. Hardly "overrated".
John Lennon's music bores the living *&^% out of me. There's only one post-Beatles song of his I like -- "Imagine". He is arrogant, overrates himself, and the musical complexity that The Beatles were known for disappeared from his music the minute McCartney ceased to be involved. Lennon never wrote a song as melodically interesting as "Say Say Say", "Live and Let Die" or "I'd Have You Anytime". Plus:
- He unleashed Yoko Ono on us.
- When he heard the stone-cold classic "Let It Be", he thought it was crap because it was sentimental -- and this was from the guy who wrote the sugary, barely literate hippie lyrics of "Imagine" and "Give Peace a Chance".
- He was the one responsible for that moronic "bigger than Jesus" comment.
- He said rock died when Elvis Presley went in the army. Asinine, untrue and small-minded.
- He had enough pretension for all four Beatles. Just the title and cover of Two Virgins were enough.
- He wrote some truly awful songs -- like "(Just Like) Starting Over" and "Whatever Gets You thru the Night" -- and he had the gall to slam McCartney's post-Beatles songwriting, which was way stronger than his.
- He is a tremendously overrated singer, bland and lacking in richness. Beatles-obsessed critics are so desperate to put him on a pedestal because of his assassination that they routinely put him above truly great singers like Michael Jackson, James Brown, Ray Charles, Jeff Buckley, and also Paul McCartney, whose pitch and expression Lennon could not match.
Recent discussions in the Music forum
|Stairway to Heaven - Taurus - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly||15||43 seconds ago|
|★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★||6215||5 minutes ago|
|Worst music is metal||89||54 minutes ago|
|Who's the bigger Celebrity? Beyoncé or LeBron James?||5||1 hour ago|
|What Are You Listening To? (Volume Four)||2128||1 hour ago|
|Musical Diary||3477||1 hour ago|
|Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality||134||1 hour ago|
|Bulletin Board ---- What's in the news?||391||3 hours ago|
|Bad Company - favorite songs, albums, concerts or anything else||132||4 hours ago|
|When Did the Decline of Vocal Harmonizing Begin and Why?||17||4 hours ago|
|Song Game - Part III||7728||5 hours ago|
|Impulse purchases: CDs (albums) that make you feel like a sucker for paying retail price--||8||6 hours ago|