Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Anti-synth biggots

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 141 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 29, 2016 3:49:13 PM PST
A. Strong says:
There will always be good synths and bad synths and it's up to the player/programmer.

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 2:14:49 PM PST
The Beatles used synthesizer on only one album, ABBEY ROAD. I like that album, but it does have a kind of "sheen" to it that none of the others did. I think had they continued, they might've accentuated this more, and maybe they would have ended up sounding more like ELO.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2016 2:11:16 PM PST
Right. Ella Fitzgerald would've had a tough time today.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2016 2:06:14 PM PST
stevign says:
It can be, especially if one sees music videos as a way to market a song.

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 1:59:06 PM PST
I don't think you can formulate an argument on any kind of moral grounds. I myself think that the synthesizer can be used very well, but it just sounds more metallic to me. It's personal preference. When I hear old R&B from the forties and fifties, music that predated the synths, where the saxophone predominated, it just sounds so wonderful. You hear the breathing of the musician, you make the connection to the musician more readily, it just appeals to me. i know there is some subjectivity in this.
I like to imagine the players. With a lot of current pop music, it's hard to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2016 1:10:51 PM PST
A. Strong says:
The marketing is far worse than the sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2016 10:15:18 AM PST
stevign says:
I totally agree. All art that's for sale is a "product".

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 6:33:40 AM PST
E. Dill says:
@A.Strong:

<<There is good product and there is bad product.>>

And no one has the right to decide for others what that is. If you're insulted by certain kinds of electronic music don't listen to it, regardless of whether it really is the sound you dislike or the way it was created or both.

Since I'm not a musician nor a electronics whiz, I don't listen to music and start dissecting its components to determine if they meet my criteria for acceptable musical content. It's all in the sound...how it sounds to ME. Sure, if over time I kept hearing a certain sound that I disliked, I'd try to find out what it was and maybe eliminate it from the music I listen to unless I could figure out how it could be used in a way I would like. But I surely wouldn't try to convince others. Why would I? Why should I care what others want to listen to or watch or read as entertainment? I don't get how angry people become when others listen to and actually like what others dismiss because they dislike the sound or how the sound was created. To me it's no different than those who fought rock n roll because it was unintelligent music for the masses and causing people to ignore the classics which were, of course, more complex and worthy.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2016 7:44:28 PM PST
A. Strong says:
There is good product and there is bad product.

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 7:41:25 PM PST
E. Dill says:
A. Strong:

<<This junk pop they produce is all product.>>

All music is product if you're doing it for a living. The artist may enjoy making it but if it's being sold, it's product.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2016 3:41:13 PM PST
A. Strong says:
Lauren, I agree but I don't think we are hearing much of anything worthwhile in today's music. This junk pop they produce is all product.

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 9:05:19 AM PST
E. Dill says:
For me, the synth argument is no different than the original arguments against electric guitars, electric basses, amplifiers of any kind, etc.....we got over it or, at least, most of the musicians did. Not too many people shun Les Paul these days. I guess they have bigger fish to fry. Those that didn't electrify remained playing what they always played and kept their loyal, if shrinking, audience.

I listen to music and react to it. I don't care what's being used. It's all sound to me...instrumental and/or vocal. And the fact that I've listened to and enjoyed lots and lots of electronic music in the past 50 years or so has not ruined my ability to enjoy music of a more traditional kind.

What else you got?

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2016 8:31:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2016 8:43:00 AM PST
Lauren says:
@A. Strong IMO it's not that performers use computers or synthesizers as opposed to guitars and analog keyboards, it's that too many of them have no ability to create original music on *any* instrument, including their own voice. Many are just about the image and the music can be dealt with through hired help. The fact that Christina Aguilera was singled out from among her Disney-kid peers because she could "really sing" tells you everything you need to know. And that was nearly 20 years ago.

Electronica isn't to everybody's taste, but you need two hands and an imagination - not to mention some musical knowledge - to make it well. The computer only does what the programmer tells it to do. And synthesizers? If you can't abide synths you pretty much have to throw out the 70s work of the Who, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, and pretty much all prog and new wave.

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 7:31:13 AM PST
bump!

Posted on Jan 30, 2016 1:27:37 PM PST
A. Strong says:
If all the techno tools were put away and some artists that don't use them were allowed to slip through the cracks and play music with their own two hands and imagination it would be a great world once again. Computers steal souls.

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 8:33:06 PM PST
When I saw this Topic, I thought about the people, who did not like the 2015 album 'Currents' by Tame Impala because he used a lot more synthesizers in place of guitars. However, if you listen to that album several times, you would realize Kevin Parker is still making music that sounds similar to his 'guitar' driven first 2 albums, especially the prior album, 'Lonerism'. But if people want to dismiss 'Currents' because it is more synthesizer based, then that is their loss(especially if they liked the first 2 Tame Impala albums).

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 5:22:33 PM PST
A. Strong says:
The product has gotten much worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2015 3:19:27 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "Today as music is now considered product like toilet paper the production in which music is produced is no longer in the hands of the composer that wrote or the performer that presents it. "

Actually, music has always been a "product" if it was produced and sold for money. Secondly, artists nowadays have more control of their music than ever before in history, and I think you outlined one of those alternatives rather well.

So you want to be a rock'n'roll star
Then listen now to what I say
Just get a computer today
And take some time and learn how to play
And when your hair's combed right and your pants fit tight
It's gonna be all right

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 11:44:26 AM PST
A. Strong says:
Today as music is now considered product like toilet paper the production in which music is produced is no longer in the hands of the composer that wrote or the performer that presents it. The synths and computers of today can make a simple laptop become a recording studio at the click of a button and the people producing today's pop music have no need to learn or understand anything about the music they produce.

Like reality TV there is indeed reality music and both of these forms of 'entertainment' are not real at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2015 5:09:08 PM PDT
I saw Manfred Mann's Earth Band, but it is from a concert I have no memory of as I was in an altered state. I have many shows like this that I don't have any memory of.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2014 8:53:51 AM PST
Mike B. says:
I've never seen them, but enjoy their albums very much. Sounds like a good show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2014 9:25:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2015 12:22:02 AM PST
A. Strong says:
Saw a concert by Manfred Mann's Earth Band in the late 1970's and it was well done.
The synths are front and center throughout but there were some great guitar parts heard and they never were glam or scam or anything like that but they were a solid performing group with a few hits under the belts.

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 5:37:31 PM PDT
Mike B. says:
Manfred Mann has been an excellent synth player over the years. Brian Eno used to delight me with his outrageous synth bits on the first 2 Roxy Music albums, and the great work he did on his first 4 solo albums and Nico's 1974 release "The End". I think he had more fun with the instrument than anyone I've ever heard.

Less well known is Michael Czajkowski, who played Buchla synthesizer on the 1969 Buffy Sainte-Marie classic "Illuminations", and did his own synth album "People The Sky" later that same year. I haven't heard the latter, but love his eerie contributions to Sainte-Marie's record. On some songs he even filtered her voice through the Buchla. Though it bombed at the time, today it's considered a forerunner of goth and quite influential. If anyone's interested, here's a link about Michael and Buffy (and a history of the synthesizer) from the site Julian Cope Presents Head Heritage:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/michael-czajkowski-people-the-sky

"Illuminations" Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminations_(Buffy_Sainte-Marie_album)

"Illuminations" full album on YouTube (36 minutes):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-Gak9vTYU

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 9:58:43 AM PDT
abracadabra

Posted on May 16, 2014 3:20:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2014 3:59:21 PM PDT
Gary Wright (remember Spooky Tooth?) made some real dough with the "Dream Weaver" single and it's in a Mike Meyers film where he is playing hockey and showing off in front of Joe Montana's wife.

The one I liked was "I'm Not In Love" by 10CC as it's such a great song and the synths are really 'ghosty" on that one!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want He makes me down to lie Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by With bright knives he releaseth my soul He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places He converteth me to lamb cutlets For lo, He... 0 26 minutes ago
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 6230 1 hour ago
When Did the Decline of Vocal Harmonizing Begin and Why? 21 1 hour ago
Would you buy a used car from Hillary Clinton? 0 1 hour ago
Bill Clinton will be a well-behaved First Lady 0 1 hour ago
Beatles detracters are RIGHT! 624 1 hour ago
You'd think it would be easy to list 5 favorite albums from the 60's but... 51 2 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Four) 2136 2 hours ago
Bad Company - favorite songs, albums, concerts or anything else 133 2 hours ago
Musical Diary 3481 2 hours ago
Top 40 Albums of 2016 24 2 hours ago
Impulse purchases: CDs (albums) that make you feel like a sucker for paying retail price-- 9 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 29, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions