Customer Discussions > Music forum

When you listen to songs by an artist who is no longer alive, does it affect your enjoyment of the music/listening experience knowing that the artist has died?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 10:00:04 AM PST
J. Coco says:
When you listen to songs by an artist who is no longer alive, does it affect your enjoyment of the music/listening experience knowing that the artist has died?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:07:28 AM PST
I have a hard time listening to Nirvana's music without thinking of Cobain's suicide and getting sad. If it is a musician who had a long "happy" life like Johnny Cash it doesn't bother me. John Lennon's tragic death is another one which is hard to wash away.

Looking at it from a more cynical point of view all the media hysteria about dying stars probably sells a lot of CDs and downloads etc.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:35:55 AM PST
No, it normally doesn't affect how much I enjoy the music. I may appreciate it more.

I do feel some unpleasant emotions when listening to Nirvana, but it is more that I am mad, not sad for what Cobain did.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:41:25 AM PST
Randy says:
No. I may feel disappointment that there will be no more new music available from this artist, but it does no affect my enjoyment of the music I am listening to.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:01:39 AM PST
D. Mok says:
ZERO relevance. The song is the song. It doesn't matter one iota if the artist is animal, mineral or vegetable.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:55:08 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Kinda. It definitely affects me with two artists in particular: Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse...because both were so immensely talented and met their respective demise in such a needless and tragic way.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:57:24 AM PST
B-Jak says:
I suppose if I'm feeling different I do hear it differently. It's just hard to separate the emotion from the perception as the two usually go together. But I have observed some differences, Nirvana being an excellent case. At first, I never understood the hype, and was rather pissed off that they got such acclaim when there were far superior bands that I watched on the same tiny stage I first saw Nirvana on (the fantastic Satyricon in Portland, OR). I perceived their music as adequate but hardly ground-breaking. I grew even more angry when Cobain left his poor infant daughter behind (especially in the hands of Courtney Hole) and found the music detestable. I have mellowed over the years and while I still don't understand what all the hoopla was/is about, I can listen to Nirvana without it setting my teeth on edge.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:05:18 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:42:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:07:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:43:03 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:09:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:43:09 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:43:47 PM PST
ED S. says:
Another ZERO relevance here. A song is a song. End of story.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:16:50 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
A few;
Lennon (gunned down in his prime)
Otis, Jimi & Janis (the stars of Monterey) left us way too early & you know they would have had many great records to offer.
Buddy, died way too young & his influence still looms large.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:42:23 PM PST
A customer says:
Of course it makes a difference. Peter Steele snuffed it a few years ago. I used to listen to Type O Negative and feel a rush of hype for what the future would bring. Then their singer/songwriter died, and that was it. Now I can only listen and wonder what the future may have brought had he lived. It's depressing. Dimebag Darrell's murder hit me similarly. When I listen to Big L or Notorious BIG, my mind can't help but run through permutations and extrapolations. The sky was the limit for their creative output. Sad, sad stuff. So yes, it makes a gargantuan difference.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:45:36 PM PST
KBIC says:
No, it is something that someone or a group of people created for me to enjoy. Music will always be something that was created in the past. Sometimes it will mean more to me if it was created and released in my past but usually not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 3:08:30 PM PST
In response to Buck Buckaw. There you go mentioning John Stewart again. There is so much of his work that I am unfamiliar with that I will be forever discovering. His passing will always enter my thoughts when I listen to him, but will never diminish my love of his music. Dear John I wish you were still here, may you rest in peace.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:18:44 PM PST
No. The recordings are a shadow of the artist's performance. Listening to a performance is like travelling back in time. Sometimes my interest in a song or (more) current performer leads me to listen to the influences preceding and adds to the experience of why a particular artist/recording is interesting. Or why someone like Michael Buble' is passe' (he's an inferior copy of Bobby Darin's swinger period).... Adele reminds me of an update of r&b Aretha Franklin, though she's put her stamp on her sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 3:22:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:43:19 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:32:00 PM PST
Sometimes it makes me sad especially if it's someone like Lennon who just did not deserve to go like that. But for the most part I feel that those who are no longer here are still alive because the music is kept alive.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:41:41 PM PST
MAC says:
Only one song effects me, John Lennon's Starting Over. He just seemed so happy to start over then struck down so senselessly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 4:14:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:43:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:22:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 6:26:09 PM PST
Hinch says:
If the artist died young, I may feel some sadness and wonder what the artist may have done if he/she had lived longer. It might make me appreciate the music more knowing the artist is gone but it doesn't cause me to like the music of an artist I didn't like when the artist was living.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:27:42 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Rather difficult to listen to Guitar Romantic considering the single vehicle accident that killed 3 of the 4 band members. They sounded like The Clash if Mick was the only singer. Brilliant stuff and they left us too soon.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:27:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:28:55 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I miss Zappa...I wonder what he would have said about some of the events that have occured since his death. (Bill's hummer for one!)
And Moonie's drumming...I MISS MOON!
Otherwise...NO.

Also when I hear The Doors it makes me wish I would have been old enough to see them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:54:08 AM PST
Not necessarily. Many of them had already given us everything they had to offer and might have ended up plowing the same old ground. There are exceptional artists like Nick Drake, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, and Miles Davis who would have at least tried to explore new territory even without drugs but sadly could never get clean.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:32:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 2:56:00 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Was listening to Gil Scott-Heron this morning on the way to work (Pieces of a Man) and felt a bit sad that such an important artist died at a relatively early age, following prolonged drug abuse and spells in jail. Then Lady Day And John Coltrane came on and I remembered that he had left an extraordinary body of work behind.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 1956 3 minutes ago
music from itunes 3 37 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 2783 54 minutes ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 2 55 minutes ago
Create a Prince triple album.... 4 1 hour ago
What do people have against Billy Joel? 1810 1 hour ago
Queen! 7 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 3612 2 hours ago
Favourite Female Artists 1595 2 hours ago
I listen with 2 speakers and no video. Are you the same? 220 3 hours ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 427 3 hours ago
November's all time greatest album.... 6 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  May 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions