Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 389 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2013 2:25:45 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Which Rolling Stones album contained the studio version of Honky-Tonk Woman? I have an LP of live performances by the Stones which includes them doing HTW, but I've long wanted the version one heard on the radio all those years ago. Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:33:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:36:11 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Cavardossi,

I'm a Stones fan but not really a die-hard that knows every little thing about the band, so someone might come to correct me, but here's what I believe to be the case:

- the popular version was cut as a single in 1968
- instead of that version, a more country version was included on their next studio album, "Let It Bleed"; it's got slightly different lyrics and is called "Country Honk"
- the popular version isn't on any of their standard studio release albums, but it's featured on many compilations, including "Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)", "Hot Rocks", "40 Licks" and I assume the new "Grrr" compilation too.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:37:03 PM PST
Cavardossi

I don't believe it was ever put on a Stones studio release, other than on hits packages. Singles weren't put on albums in the early days for The Stones or The Beatles, especially in England.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:38:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:38:37 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
zih67

Thanks for the reply. I'm not the world's biggest Stones fan (I veered more to the Beatles), but I do like to hear them occasionally, and especially Honky-Tonk Woman. So, which of those compilation albums you mentioned would be the best one (or ones) to get for a representative collection?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:40:05 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
BTW, I'm not worried if more than one CD recommendation contains HTW. I just want that song and a representation of some of their best work. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:47:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:53:06 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Np. As to which one is best, I'd say it depends on which part of the Stones career you want it to represent and how much you want to spend. The new "Grrrr" 3cd set with some 50 or so tracks over their whole career (1962-present) would be the best representation of their entire career, but it's also the most expensive option and has the most "fat" imo (ie, songs that aren't truly essential Stones, but were included because someone felt the later works had to be represented too...).

If you want more of just the earlier stuff when most consider the band in their true prime (1962-1971), Hot Rocks would be the way to go, although since it's an old title, it's two vinyl albums put onto 2 cd discs, so is not crammed full the way an ideal compillation would be. No fat on that title at all as it's all classic, essential Stones, but there's not as much of it as you'd get on a newer 2cd compilation, so it's less bang for the buck.

Which is why I prefer Forty Licks It's got very nearly everything Hot Rocks does but also includes stuff from post-1971 albums like "Exile", "Some Girls" "Tattoo You" and more, many of which many fans consider to be on par (or nearly on par) with their earlier works. It's still not perfect (the 4 new songs are forgettable), but for my $ is still the best 2 cd compilation of the Stones and the overall best one to get. I haven't looked too hard at the 3cd "Grrr" but it seems to have not much more than 40 Licks other than 2 new songs and a lot of latter era Stones (post 1980-81) that most people feel is not really essential. 40 Licks has some of that too, but not as much.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:48:04 PM PST
Might as well get GRRRR! It has all their biggest hits and the two new tracks they recorded for their anniversary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:50:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:51:15 PM PST
zlh67

That makes sense. I don't have any hits compilations other than the Singles set. That may be getting a bit pricey nowadays.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:57:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 3:00:39 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Yeah, i grew up on Hot Rocks, then picked up a few individual albums (Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Tattoo You) to get other songs I liked, but then the "age of remastering" hit and I wanted a nice collection of songs with remastered sound, so grabbed 40 Licks not long after it came out and ditched my Hot Rocks set. I've since gone back and bought all the individual albums from 1968 forward (minus 1 or 2 of the newer ones) but I still like the 40 Licks compilation and put that on if I'm not sure which Stones I want to hear...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:57:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:59:30 PM PST
@zlh67: you are correct on everything except when the song was recorded. The song was written in Brazil in Jan '69. An early version was cut in March 1969 with a different second verse, then the song was re-recorded as "Country Honk" in May. The final single version was cut between May 30-Jun 5, and released on Jul 4, while "Country Honk" as you note was farmed to "Let It Bleed" a few months later.

While Brian Jones was technically still a member of the group during the Feb/Mar early sessions for "Bleed", his participation was pretty much zero except for some percussion on "Midnight Rambler". I believe that the May/Jun sessions were the first held after he had officially been fired from the band and Taylor hired to take his place, making HTW a turning point in their career. Brian Jones passed away the day before the song was released in the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 3:03:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 4, 2013 5:54:43 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:17:21 PM PST
The only problem with 40 Licks is it's OOP since the Stones switched labels and it may be a bit pricey, or at least it was as I haven't checked in awhile.

If you want Honky Tonk I would go with GRR or Hot Rocks. Judging by the prices of both packages, GRR is giving you way more for the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 3:36:26 PM PST
Thanks Randal L. Stoner,

I just bought the Singles comp. on your mention. Thanks man.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:39:37 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Thanks, Topper. I always have it stuck in my head that "Let It Bleed" was a 1968 album but you're correct that both it and the HTW single were from '69.

And actually Cavardossi, looking at the track listing for the 3cd "Grrr", I'd probably go with that as Stoner had suggested above (doh!). I think I dismissed it because I have the individual studio albums (which I didn't when I bought 40 Licks), so it looked "blah" to me as far as wanting to buy, but looking at it now, it's a good collection for the Stones novice and not as heavy on the newer stuff as I'd thought. They have added a lot of tracks from 1973-1981 that even 40 Licks didn't have, and that's the period that I think most Stones fans would say is a close 2nd to their 1964-1972 peak.

One thing I *didn't* like about 40 Licks is that it omitted some early singles that Hot Rocks included ("Time Is On My Side," "Play With Fire," "Heart of Stone," "As Tears Go By") and "Grrr" features 3 of those 4, plus several 1972-1981 tracks that "40 Licks" didn't have (Rocks Off, Heartbreaker, Respectable, Waiting On A Friend, She Was Hot). 40 Licks is still a solid 2 cd set but if you buy into the "more is better" way of thinking, "Grrr" is an excellent choice too and unless price is a big consideration, probably the way to go. It looks solid all the way through the mid-point or so of disc 3.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:44:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 4:11:29 PM PST
zlh67 says:
"The only problem with 40 Licks is it's OOP"

----

Good point, Exile. I had no idea, although I did recently stumble on a used copy of 40 Licks in a shop for $19.99 and wondered why it was so much, so that explains that (I got my new copy on sale for $9.99 a few years ago...). Even here on Amazon, the 3cd "Grrr" is actually less than the 2cd 40 Licks, so yeah, it's officially a no-brainer: if you want 1 title, GRRR > 40 Licks. I was opearating under the assumption that the 2cd 40 Licks would be 25-50% cheaper than the 3cd Grrr, but... not so!

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:45:32 PM PST
My pleasure Anthony!

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:02:16 PM PST
I remember getting Through the Past Darkly on vinyl in the octagonal cut sleeve as a kid and thought it was a great companion piece to the previous High Tides and Green Grass comp. To my knowledge, the studio version of Honky Tonk Women first appeared on Through the Past outside of a 45 release. Later, Hot Rocks featured it(along with other cuts previously available on either Big Hits comps), which in Hot Rocks, it became the regurgitated practice of reissuing previous material and flooding the market with more product than necessary. Rocks offers 7 more cuts from the Big Hits volumes and it does work for that audience whom only needs classic cuts to get by on in their Stones collection, but, after seeing them putting together over 15 compilations of a varying tracklisting and marketing strategy in terms of whom these comp's are aimed at(let's not even discuss Decca's milking tactics of their lost fortune prospects as a revenge move), its a bit much, imo. I own practically every studio and live release save for a few of each, and don't feel the need, esp within the digital download age, to indulge in these compilations, enough already! That being said, the 2 Big Hits volumes gets my vote for cool comp entries and should be most of what one would need as a casual fan. For a late 70's-80's era, Jump Back or Rewind. 40 Licks or GRRR could be economical if nothing but for the consolidated features of these comps. I have no use for them, however, but I digress.
Excuse the rant tangent....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 6:09:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 6:15:36 PM PST
In the 80's, the Rewind collection was a perfectly brief collection of their 1971-1984 years if you were a casual fan.

Rewind

And all of the songs were the full album versions. You won't get that on GRR or 40 Licks or Jump Back as there are several edits on each.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 7:42:25 PM PST
Good points, however, for casual fans, I think the edits are immaterial to the casual interest approach given on the said comps.(Grrr, 40 & Jump) I liked the cd version of Rewind as it featured a few extra tracks from the cassette version(which my Brother had at the time). I got into the Stones early in life and had Both Hot Rocks and both Big Hits volumes starting out with and went from there...

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:55:44 PM PST
I think if the three-disc version of "GRRR!" omitted "Come On", "Rocks Off", "Respectable", "Streets Of Love", "Highwire", "Anybody Seen My Baby?", "Don't Stop", "Doom'n'Gloom" and "One More Shot" and replaced them with "Mother's Little Helper", "Lady Jane", "2000 Light Years From Home", "Sister Morphine", "All Down The Line", "Time Waits For No One", "Shattered", "She's So Cold" and "Out Of Tears", you would have a pretty definitive career overview.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 8:21:38 PM PST
I have "Through The Past Darkly" LP. One of my first albums. Every song is great. "Honky Tonk Woman" hit #1 in July of 1969.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:18:34 PM PST
You're correct. It was a single release.
It appeared on the UK version of 'Through the Past Darkly' which I think is the first album appearance of the song there.
Of course, "Country Honk" appeared on 'Let it Bleed".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:24:05 PM PST
I've got the original UK version of that album, I'm quite fond of it.
Sadly it's not on CD. Only the American version is, which has a different track selection.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:09:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 6:18:26 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I've been looking at the tracks on Grrr and noticed that Mother's Little Helper isn't included and that Honky Tonk Woman is listed as running three minutes, which seems short for the Stones. It must be one of the edited tracks on this album that some of the reviewers have complained about. If Grrr is the only way these days to get HTW, fine, but does anyone know if the song exists in unedited form and on which CD?

I'm starting to get really excited about getting some Stones in my collection again. It's been a long time. It's amazing they're still around, and I bet not all the audiences for their concerts in recent years are made up of old-time fans from when they and the Stones were young.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 10:21:20 PM PST
Cavardossi,

It's not edited. Honky Tonk Woman really only ran about 3 minutes.
Singles in general were shorter in the 60s.

Check the time listed on all of the compilations and it's the same on all of them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions