Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Is today's Music really that bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 668 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:45:37 AM PST
Here's a link to Wikipedia's list compiled from various sources and explaining the sales methodology used regarding "Certified Sales" etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:19:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:20:40 PM PST
@Dave Vicks: The best selling band and artist of all time is The Beatles. They are estimated to have sold over a billion records worldwide. Elvis is the best-selling solo act of all time.

Oops...just saw Cyberian's post after I posted this one. Anyways, the winners haven't changed!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:28:50 PM PST
"heh, I assume you know what you would say to a child when they "give up". "

To be more particular, *how* to say it. For starters, I wouldn't refer to adult participants in these discussions as childlike in their music enjoyment without the expectation of a negative response.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:56:58 PM PST
"I haven't learned much in here about why some music is popular and some isn't. But I have learned about this defensive attitude"

Citing your own words "reread the exchanges. I can't control the impressions you take away."

Recanting what I wrote to J Hand, several veteran musicians have indicated that formal study has NOT led to increased enjoyment of any particular style of music. You have summarily ignored those opinions. Those responses should have served notice that no defensiveness is involved.

Personally, I have tried UNsuccessfully to coax you into more meaningfull conveyance of your opinion by offering subtle support, hoping to uncover something valuable. Dead end.

"Remember that Charlie is very much a boy, which is the main theme of the series."

'Nother dead end. Totally eluded the point.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:14:51 PM PST
J. Hand says:
@ Werranth- RE the bikes- No. The mechanical aspect was the last thing I learned and only out of necessity because I came into the lifestyle with a chopped 650 BSA and nobody knew squat abot them. Later after getting my first Harley I had to do more because at one time some Harley dealers wouldn't give you the time of day of you were a 'chopper guy'. Far too many mechanics were 'iffy' at best and in my business venture, probably half my work was re-do jobs where others had screwed things up. Even then, I was in my late 30s before I studied engineering level material on internal combustion engines and all things associated. I opened a side business to make money because the opportunity was there.

I did this along with my full time career which was in electronics. There again I was as much a stereophile as I could afford to be since my teen years. I pursued electronics purely out of financial interests, not out of my love for audio gear and no other reason. Other than knowing the meaning of the technical jargon involved and understanding how it all works, that electronics career of 30+ years has not enhanced my enjoyment of either the gear or the music I play over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:37:56 PM PST
H&L says:
Good points Mitch, I am with you on your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:31:38 AM PST
w413

The Top 40 was never the 'best'. It was what appealed to teenagers. There were the well documented payola scandal where upon payment to the djs and program directors, the hits were 'selected' for the audience. It was the songs themselves that alienated me for the most part. There was a general lack of ernestness to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:13:43 PM PST
Roeselare says:
".. several veteran musicians have indicated that formal study has NOT led to increased enjoyment of any particular style of music."

Several? Should educators just quit? I've known hundreds of people, who know hundreds more, who acknowledge the opposite result. It's not about me, UtI.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:19:08 PM PST
Roeselare says:
a lack of earnestness, OK. So, earnestness is one of the qualities you're seeking in pop music. I haven't heard about earnestness before.

Do you have examples?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:05:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:10:26 PM PST
stevign says:
werranth413:

I certainly can't claim that reading just a few books would be considered any kind of "formal education", but after getting into Jazz my 1st year, I picked up a few books including Jazz Styles: History and Analysis. That really helped fine tune my ears so I could appreciate what the musicians were actually doing and trying to accomplish. And "that" led to better understanding and even more enjoyment.

I admit that isn't going to mean much to "passive" listeners because they pretty much don't care, they either like something right off or they don't. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I on the other hand have always been an "active" listener, I like to really get into the music, and understanding what makes it tick is part of what makes me either like it more or like it less. So I'm with you, I believe it does, or at least can, lead to "increased enjoyment".

That being said, more knowledge doesn't "always" lead to more enjoyment of "every" song or every genre. Case in point: After 7 years of getting into Jazz I absolutely love it....BUT, I still don't like Coltrane. ((crowd shrieks in horror)) That's right, I admit it, I'm a Coltrane Disliker. I've read and read and I understand what he does, why he does it, what he accomplished and have nothing but utter respect for his genius but when it comes down to it, I just don't like his style and the tone of his horn.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:30:48 PM PST
Severin says:
For classical I do enjoy it more if I've read what to listen for, how a theme is picked up or a particular instrument enters with a second theme. It helps me to 'get' what's happening in the piece. But for modern pop and rock it's usually obvious what's going on, it's less subtle. But I do like layers of music especially in progressive rock where headphones help to uncover those hidden tracks.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:58:27 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
If the Goths like THE CURE and others ,what music do the Vampires listen to?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:05:28 AM PST
B L T says:
Bloodrock

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:10:04 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:10:37 AM PST
Severin says:
Any music that sucks.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:20:32 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:56:23 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:01:00 AM PST
Severin says:
Count Basie?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:10:17 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
Count down to ectasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:25:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 12:29:17 PM PST
stevign says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:28:45 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "where headphones help to uncover those hidden tracks."

Like subliminally telling you to buy more of their CDs?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:14:38 PM PST
Roeselare says:
"That being said, more knowledge doesn't "always" lead to more enjoyment of "every" song or every genre."

You're right, it's a mistake to think there will be an immediate bump in the enjoyment of "every" song or every genre. Some of the goals are to know more and therefore expand expectations, explore more in the unfamiliar categories, but most important, to have the learning experience to fall back upon when there's an inevitable lull in the whole process - while we age through the decades. Many folks outgrow their old favorites, but they've already given up the process (of their youth).

Of course, as we see in threads like these, some people who are attracted to post here are exceptional.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:24:46 PM PST
Severin says:
I certainly enjoy Wagner's Ring operas more having listened to Deryck Cooke's An Introduction to Der Ring des Nibelungen. But then classical music is generally more intellectual than popular music. Progressive rock is in between and I can't speak for jazz both because I know almost nothing about it and because it's all over the map.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:18:25 PM PST
B L T says:
It's a conscious effort on my part to keep my expectations in check. I find I'm more likely to be pleased and less likely to be disappointed without expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:22:37 PM PST
stevign says:
I think the part where I said "really helped fine tune my ears so I could appreciate what the musicians were actually doing and trying to accomplish" is extremely important. Most music, Rock, Blues, Folk and others are rather simple in delivery and their improvisations fairly transparent.

Jazz on the other hand has polyrhythms and improvisations that can be quite complex and not readily understood. This often lessens the enjoyment and leaves the newbie cold and not caring.
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 27 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  668
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions