Customer Discussions > Music forum

I've heard the new Aerosmith and it's.....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 97 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:47:01 PM PST
Working Man says:
Obviously, nothing compares to their 70's work, but I don't mind their albums since. Rock in a Hard Place missed Perry and Whitford, but it had a some moments. Done with Mirrors also had it's moments. I like most of Permanent Vacation and from their Get a Grip, Pump and Nine Lives also had some good moments. I really don't think anything they did was bad, just not as good. From what I heard of the new album, I am not sure if I like it.

I watched their live show in Boston in front of their old appartment on Commenwealth Ave today. They received a plaque that will be permanently added to the building. Their set list included:

Walkin the Dog, Movin Out (the first song they wrote), Back in the Saddle, Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, Train Kept a Rollin, Mama Kin and a couple new songs. The performance was pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:05:41 PM PST
I saw them around the time of that album and it was the worst concert by a major group that I've ever seen.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:41:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 7:47:36 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:04:18 AM PST
Aerosmith had some great ballads back in the day-Seasons Of Wither, Home Tonight, Dream On, Kings And Queens etc. Now theyre pretty cheesy.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:20:37 AM PST
Working Man says:
Personally, "Dream On" and "Kings and Queens" are the only balads that I ever liked from Aerosmith. I am not sure they even qualify as balads, more slow rockers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 8:48:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 9:00:47 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:06:55 AM PST
I don't know what's its like to be in a famous rock band nor do I know what its like to be a multimillionaire, but it still confuses me when a band who has been around as long and has been as successful as Aerosmith has been, WHY they still feel they need to connect with a mainstream audience. They have earned the right to make whatever music they want so is this now the music they want to make? Because they sure do not need the money.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:30:53 AM PST
...plowing the same old ground? Don't get me wrong, "Toys in the Attic" is one of the top 100 greatest rock and roll albums of all time, but Aerosmith hasn't written a decent song since "Jamie's Got A Gun" in 1992 (despite it's overplay on MTV and radio, it's a radically different song than anything they did before or since.) I spent a whole day last year playing the Aerosmith Rock Band or Guitar Hero game and it suddenly hit me just how much their quality has gone down.

If you are paying good money to buy their newer crappy songs on CD you are part of the problem of why so much horrible horrible rock music is out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:58:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 10:01:58 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:28:13 AM PST
AlexMontrose: I disagree. I think it's quite possible that Aerosmith could produce another "Toys In The Attic" if they really wanted to.

A band that has produced a top 100 rock and roll album of all time once has a better chance of doing it again than a band who has never had one platinum album.

They're just too lazy to do it right. Why put years of work crafting, touring, polishing, and recording great songs? They can just spend a week in the studio, put Steven Tyler's squeals over every bit of it, punch up and compress the drums, and let some twenty-something computer geeks do all the legwork of mixing it.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:41:11 AM PST
I'm truly convinced that the brain begins to lose its ability to think more creatively after the age of 30. I don't think its a sharp decline and there are still some flourishes here and there. Yes, bands DO lose it. There aren't many who put out a string of classics after their 20s. Sure there is one or two here and there but its rare.

I do not think Aerosmith could produce another Toys, but maybe something close if they would concern themselves more with the songwriting like they used to do. I think their fans would just be happy with that at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:43:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 2:43:10 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:54:28 AM PST
bass boy says:
It's funny that so much slow/ballad stuff is found on the new record, whereas Aerosmith's live set now, at least in Dallas, is only two slower songs ("Dream On" and "What It Takes") with the other one hour and 50 minutes being loud, fast, hard rock. Not only did Aerosmith play more rocking (good) material in Dallas, but they played a long set (for them) - 2 hours and 10 minutes. The 2004 and 2009 shows I caught were good but barely scraped the 90-minute mark. Oh well, at least the recent gig was hard-hitting. I guess I'll pass on the new disc. Thanks to all for the heads-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:05:13 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:16:41 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:59:49 PM PST
Montrose-Good points!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 2:51:45 PM PST
I am shocked to hear that Kings And Queens is a ballad. Who knew? And who knew it was about ordering Pizza!

Some people must think any slow song is a ballad. Pink Floyds Echo must be a ballad too. Maybe it to is about ordering pizza.

But to get real here, I am suprised that they would put so many ballads on the new album. Do they not know that their male fan base wants rockers? Are they just trying to keep the female vote? Or are they just trying for radio airtime?

I am picking door number 3.

Who's there?

"Pizza pizza"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:58:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 3:04:43 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:08:02 PM PST
Lou Siffer says:
mostly crap...hang it up boys.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:56:11 PM PST
Chazzzbo says:
They probably CAN'T hang it up...wouldn't surprise me if they're on the hook for a number of additional albums, thanks to some overpaid contract...the A-Rod of rock music, if you will

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:36:13 PM PST
Working Man says:
Dream On may be a slow song but it's a kick a-- rocker. I know it may be overplayed, but it's a great song. It's not a sappy ballad or boring blues tune (I like blues, but sometimes the slow blues can get boring).

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:57:22 AM PST
Did anyone pick up the new album yesterday?

Despite my lackluster first impression, I picked it up anyway. Listening to it a second, then a third time, it's growing on me and I'm noticing more standout tracks. "Beautiful" is awesome, for example. Still, it's not comparable to what made them the band they are today. I can't listen to it and not hear the pop influence. Don't get me wrong, I love pop music, but it's not what I want from Aerosmith.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:04:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:07:09 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:18:18 AM PST
the album is pretty weak....i got the deluxe version, and of those 18 songs, i'd say if they took off half of the songs, and then went back in the studio and pumped out 4 or 5 more rockin songs, the the album would of been great, but this album is their worst album in forever in my opinion. and this is coming from someone who really loves "just push play" and nine lives is my favorite album of theirs after their 70's output, so i really did like their last two albums a lot...

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:09:27 AM PST
I heard the album on KLOS last night and was not impressed. It sounded more like 90s Aerosmith than 70s Aerosmith. I liked the song Street Jesus but, overall the songs were repetetive and dull. This album reminds me of Metallica's Death Magnetic in that it was supposed to be a return to the glory days/sound but came up short. Death Magnetic wasnt a bad album but, this one is. I'm going to see Aerosmith in LA December 3 and I hope they dont play much from this album.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4096 5 minutes ago
The Music Of Our Lives 7071 7 minutes ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 308 8 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 5004 12 minutes ago
2014 Favs radio show with Setzer, Jerry Lee and more 0 1 hour ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 72 5 hours ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 529 5 hours ago
My Let It Bleed 13 6 hours ago
Zappa artists 20 8 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 63 11 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4451 15 hours ago
Obamas war on women 1069 16 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions