Customer Discussions > Music forum

Here's the list: Musicians Backing Mitt Romney...and Those Supporting Barack Obama. Wild guess whose got the better list....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 466 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 26, 2012 10:50:22 AM PDT
B L T says:
It doesn't matter to me which candidate a celebrity endorses. My minds made up. I'm voting for the candidate I receive the least amount of robocalls from.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:03:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 11:04:30 AM PDT
S. Stalcup:

I just watched a re-run of last night's Colbert Report and there he was! He is headed to Purdue University to slice up their budget and make higher education a bit lower. I live in a state that threw out it's leader a few years back and brought in a horrible actor that loves his housemaid and wants to be President (even as a foreigner) so Indiana does not contain the worst elected officials in office as it indeed could be could be much worse!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:05:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 1:54:38 AM PDT
Hinch says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:07:59 AM PDT
Big Bird was just seen zooming down the highway strapped to the top of the Rodney mobile screaming: "Help, Mister Hooper.....HELP!!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:12:05 AM PDT
Objectively speaking, and without taking sides on the issue, I would only point out the most Obvious and Likely Reason for any presumptive "Liberal" leanings of artists, musicians, Hollywood, Writers (the "Media" etc.) and it has Nothing to do with "Intelligence" or "Feelings" etc.

It has mainly to do with one crucially important issue... Censorship!

ALL of the occupations mentioned have a very strong interest in the Censorship issue as it relates to their Art and Profession.

Now, when it comes to the continuum of Conservative/Liberal or Republican/Democrat as to their relative positions on Issues of Censorship, I won't advocate one or the other, but I WILL invite Everyone to do their Own Research and Determine for Themselves where Politicians and their Parties stand on the issue, not only today, but traditionally throughout recent History.

For example, Going back to the 20s and the Hays Censorship of Movies, was it supported primarily by Conservatives or Liberals?

The McCarthy Hearings of the 50s - were the supporting members of Congress primarily Republican or Democrat?

Burning Beatles records in 1966 - Conservatives or Liberals?

Cutting Government Funding for the Arts - Republicans or Democrats?

Censoring Robert Maplethorpe - Liberals or Conservatives?

I think that, for anyone who takes the time to Research the History of Censorship in our Country, it will become Obvious WHY the majority of Artists and Media in all disciplines TEND toward the Liberal end of the Political Spectrum.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:18:38 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
"Indiana does not contain the worst elected officials in office as it indeed could be could be much worse!"
Agreed, but not by much more, PHILIP.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:28:20 AM PDT
Fischman says:
Virtual dog sled puller,

You encourage folks to do their own research but then point them only to examples that would lead them one particular direction.

What about the drive to remove certain books from our libraries because they contain un-PC references or language? Was it Dems or Reps who wanted to pull the likes of Huckleberry Finn from our schools?

What about Tipper Gore's huge censorship move?

What about all the crackdown on freely expressing your opinion on college campuses and public schools--Libs or Cons?

What about certian local governments holding Tea Party demonstrations to the letter of their laws, demanding payment for the impact their demonstrations may have, while giving Occupy protests a complete pass on this?

Let's be fair and recognize that, when given the opportunity or the power to do so, some folks of either political stripe will attempt, either overtly or surreptitiosly, to quash opposing views.

BTW, cutting funding in no way implies censorship--unless you only cut funding for arts you don't agree with politically while preserving funding for arts you do agree with politically--you know, like the Soviets did (oh, btw, the Soviets also disallowed Rock adn Roll, calling it degenerate). Which end of the political spectrum did they lie on?

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:40:57 AM PDT
After what went down in Florida in 2000 it should be noted that 500 or so votes (out of millions cast) can mean all the difference in a politicial Presidential election. Thank's, Supreme Court!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:47:07 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I don't know if it's "feelers" vs. "thinkers" so much as musicians, ie, creative people, tend to think more outside the box, which is (more or less) by definition, "liberal", ie, open to change as opposed to settling for what came before.

People with more conventional careers tend to be, well, more conventional, which (more or less) equates to "conservative".

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 12:15:24 PM PDT
J. Coco says:
I saw that Toni Tennille is backing Obama, but what about The Captain?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 12:51:45 PM PDT
Fischman,

LOL. I swear it took me at least 20 minutes to figure out what the ** you were talking about by "virtual dog sled puller"!

Anyway, your points are valid and well-taken.

The Examples I gave were simply the most obvious ones that came to me off the top of my head, but they ARE Valid and DID undeniably Occur!

That said, however, You're absolutely right about Tipper Gore's Crusade and it IS an equally valid example.

The "re-writing" of Huckleberry Finn is also a valid example, although supporters of doing so don't really represent "Mainstream Liberal/Democrats" any more than some of the more extreme Tea Party positions represent "Mainstream Conservative/Republicans".

I was trying to narrow my focus solely to Issues of concern to Artists & Musicians as represented more by the Mainstream rather than by the Extremists on Both Ends of the Spectrum and not trying to address the issues of ALL Liberals vs. ALL Conservatives. I'd be absolutely shocked if there were ANY Artist or Member of the Creative Community who actually advocates rewriting Huckleberry Finn!

You're also right that "Cutting Funding" doesn't imply "Censorship". I was attempting to reference the more general point as to which affiliation actively *Supports* the Arts vs. which affiliation tends to actively *Reduce* Resources available for those very things that Artists & Musicians Care about such as Arts & Music Education in Schools, "Big Bird" etc.

And you're also correct that there are Individuals on ALL sides who, given the opportunity, will abuse their power.

But, without getting too far off topic, my MAIN Point was simply that Censorship and Support for the Arts are HUGE Issues for Musicians & Artists in ALL areas and that, Historically, rightly or wrongly, "Conservative/Republicans" are at least PERCEIVED as being more inclined toward Censorship and less inclined to Artistic Support than "Liberal/Democrats" which goes a long way to explaining the "Liberal" Leanings of Artistic Communities.

I STILL Invite Everyone to Do Their OWN Research and Draw Their OWN Conclusions!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 12:52:05 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Guess it depends on how well Toni's trained her dragon.

You're welcome, three people.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 1:07:47 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Husky,
Sounds good. Not sure where your two quick neg votes came from. I wonder if someone is trying to censor you . . . .?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 1:16:07 PM PDT
They've been trying ever since I posted a thread calling them "pathetic wankers".

Oh well, every Husky has its fleas!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:15:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 11:17:38 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Another good post Fischman!

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 6:55:18 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Bravo BLT, cant wait until 11/7/12! & good luck with those unwanted calls.
"Meet the new boss....."(pick your poison)

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 7:15:39 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> While it's certainly unfair to blanket all musicians as lacking intellect, it's probably a reasonable generalization to say most of them are more "feelers" than "thinkers."

Really? As opposed to The Tea Party, white supremacists, anti-abortionists, and far-right Christians?

The fact is that the arts scene is filled with people from all kinds of backgrounds. People in the arts are far less likely to be intolerant because they are constantly exposed to diversity in ethnicity, sexual orientation, personality, body types and appearance, and other attributes. Not to mention the fact that artists are often outcasts to begin with. To be a bigot in the arts is to be alone and constantly under fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:48:31 AM PDT
Fischman says:
No need to break out the "as opposed to . ." I've always maintained there's plenty of feeling without thinking going on across the spectrum.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 9:30:46 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> I've always maintained there's plenty of feeling without thinking going on across the spectrum.

And yet you single out musicians. As if auto mechanics were more rational. You're full of it.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 9:33:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 9:46:20 AM PDT
Fischman says:
But the thread was about musicians, not auto mechanics--that's why I mentioned them.

Also, my original statement was about musicians and artists while the assessment that many folks feel without thinking was across the political spectrum, not the artistic spectrum--no basis for a direct comparison. To assess me as "full of it" based on this is without merit.

If one looks at the rusults of indicators such as Myers-Briggs, artists score higher on the "feeling" side of the scale than the population at large, much as accountants score higher on the "thinking" side of the scale than the general population (I don't recall where auto mechanics fall). Of course individual results vary and I'm not trying to paint any one person into a particular corner, but in the aggregate, these types of results are very consistent--as they are in every other widely accepted personality test I've heard of.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 12:11:36 PM PDT
I think the artsy leaning towards Obama away from Mitts is due to the Republicans' platform of banning birth control. Fully-loaded fertile groupies would be a real downer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:20:24 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Yup. No offense to those who thinks this is in any way relevant, but that list of Obama supporters is made up of the same folks who support whatever Democratic candidate is running at the time.

Some are quite vocal. Madonna gave a speech during her tour about her support of Obama before stripping down to show the name "OBAMA" written in large letters across her back...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 2:41:52 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
"...that list of Obama supporters is made up of the same folks who support whatever Democratic candidate is running at the time."

---

Like the poeple on the list of Romney supporters don't do the same? The Dem and Rep parties have a platform and a "base" to appeal to based on certain beliefs/ideals, so little wonder that the platform and beliefs of one Democratic candidate in 1996 or 2000 aren't likely to be too terribly different from that of another candiate in 2004, 2008 or here in 2012 (and same goes, of course, for the Rep party).

Nor is it any big shock that most people tend to support whatever candidate their party of choice puts forward. Maybe it's the best candidate ever in their mind or maybe one of the worst, but if he still stands for your core beliefs, of course yer gonna vote for him.

You seem to be suggesting though that the artists that suport Obama are doing so without thought, which is a big assumption. Or maybe I'm reading too much into your post...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 2:51:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 2:51:54 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Yeah, I think you're just reading too much into that, zhl67. You're absolutely correct though. Both Kelsey Grammer (who I like) and (that shrill unfunny twerp from Everybody Loves Raymond) Patricia Heaton are speaking for Romney as they did for Dubya. The former apparently was bandying about running for public office, actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:34:22 PM PDT
M.R. says:
Look who's talking about rocket science, LOL!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  466
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions