Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rock music wasn't really good until The Beatles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 205 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 30, 2012 7:06:38 PM PDT
Little Richard, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, fats Domino, Carl Perkins, . .. howcome they never mention Gene Vincent ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 7:40:42 PM PDT
Hinch says:
From what I understand he was and still is very popular in the U.K. I know John Lennon liked him.

http://youtu.be/2zvKcilKySQ

http://youtu.be/jDfInULDW7o

http://youtu.be/8wHG8U0fa1Q

http://youtu.be/OcFm_yoslKs

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:06:25 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Gene Vincent
"Rip It Up"

http://youtu.be/AuAtzsAB9O8

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:39:58 PM PDT
paris says:
the beatles sucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 9:51:23 PM PDT
Hinch says:
@Paris Then I wouldnt listen to them if I was you. Btw, it's always nice to see your intelligent contributions to discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 10:12:14 PM PDT
"the beatles sucks!" . .. who posted THAT, Beavis and Buthead ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 6:00:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2013 7:12:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 6:52:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 6:53:47 AM PDT
C. Harding says:
Stratocater: You hate me? That's fine. I won't be expecting a Christmas card this year. But as far as the stalking and constant snide remarks, which come into my email, and then you immediately delete them from the thread, don't you think that's being a jus little juvenile?
-----------------------

No, I don't hate you at all. Sorry you got that impression.

As for the post I deleted, I agree it was juvenile. That is why I deleted it immediately after posting it. I thought better of it and changed my mind. The fact that you get an email for every post that someone puts up....well, you set it up like that, not me. Turn it off if you don't want to get them.

As for the rest of your post, I'm sorry, I didn't read it the whole thing. It's quite long, it's Monday morning. I did skim it and you seem to be making stuff up again and reframing past comments and exchanges......but I'm not going to argue with you today. Too much to do. I should point out to you, though, that you can hardly call what I've done - responded/addressed you in two (2!) threads - "stalking." Maybe it makes you feel cool believing you have a stalker......if so, have at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 7:17:35 AM PDT
Going by the grammar alone, 'paris' isn't very well educated.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:22:14 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
So it's safe to say based on the intelligent life forms typing messages here that there WAS good rockin' prior to fab-4.

What next?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 3:47:01 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
When I went to Europe with Rachel in the 80s, we met with the Richard Thompson Band as they boarded the same train going from Hamburg to Copenhagen. I asked who they were (no sight recognition) and was told. I couldn't remember who Thompson was!! The road manager mentioned Fairport Convention and I immediately remembered and mentioned Sandy Denny who, by then, had died. Anyway, I had a nice long chat with the road manager and in discussing music, he indicated exactly how much the English, esp. the English of their age, i.e., 30-50, loved and almost worshiped some of the greats from early American rock n roll. It seemed as though they didn't necessarily have the same order of greatness that we did here. People like Vincent, Eddie Cochran were thought of quite highly as was Mr. Blue Suede Shoes, Carl Perkins.

ed.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:01:31 AM PST
W. Robinson says:
abracadabra

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 7:24:17 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2013 7:13:18 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:30:13 AM PST
zlh67 says:
There was plenty of good 50's rock like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, etc., but that's of course early 'rock and roll' as opposed to 'rock' that came out of the British Invasion. But even if the 50's stuff ain't your bag, I would say the Kinks put out the first really good rock: in 1963-64, the Beatles were pretty much bubble gum pop but acts like The Kinks came out of the chutes on all cylinders with cuts like "You Really Got Me," "I Need You," "All Day And All of the Night" and The Who were also ripping on "My Generation", "Can't Explain" and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" before the Beatles got really interesting imo. Not saying those acts are necessarily "better" than the Beatles, but to me, they made interesting/good "rock" before The Beatles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 8:59:24 AM PST
Fischman says:
Perfect post Z, giving credit where it is due.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:27:47 PM PST
barbW says:
" When discussions like these arise, we often get confronted with the notion that complexity in music makes it better.....more interesting to listen to."

You CAN have it both ways when there's not a large difference in quality, but the people voted with their dollars and complexity won out. When was the last doo wop or rockabilly hit in the 60s?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:01:35 AM PST
Very interesting post, S.of F. Would like to know if you can recommend some reading I can do on the information you provide. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:26:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 10:47:41 PM PST
A. Strong says:
The Beatles along with Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience moved it from Rock 'n' Roll into the beginings of the rock era in 1967 and as John Lennon was on acid and listening to: "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" while riding around in his Rolls Royce the bands and artists were all on this trip together and it is a combination of many things (The Beatles included) that made this change happen. Things changed very quickly back then and it was hard to point at one event or artist responsible for all of it.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:29:48 PM PST
Rock 'n roll was tremendously great and exciting in the '50's, with a flood of terrific artists and performers. It's just that if you're a young kid today who listens to nothing but rap, metal and pseudo-punk, you can't appreciate it. After the '50's, rock took a bit of a downfall from 1960-62, as the airwaves became full of a lot of novelty songs and over-orchestrated MOR pop. But beginning in 1963, the emergence of the Beatles in the UK and Dylan and the Beach Boys over here in the US made rock 'n roll both excellent in quality again as well as hitting a new level of cultural influence and popularity. After the Beatles reached the US in 1964, the flood of British Invasion bands and Motown artists that followed them made rock, pop, folk-rock and soul just keep getting better and better. Tons of great American artists and bands sprung up as well, which continued into the '70's.

Just as rock was being dominated by too many pretentious progressive rock artists in the mid-'70's, the original punk and new wave bands came along in the late '70's, blew the roof off and got rock 'n roll back to the basics. Although they were largely accepted in the UK, they were ignored by radio programmers here. As a result, rock 'n roll (in my opinion) began to become redundant after the mid-'80's. There's still some great artists, but there's nothing that anyone is doing that hasn't been done better and earlier. Plus, it is unfortunate but true -- rap and dance-pop have overtaken rock as a cultural influence and the music of choice among today's youth.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:41:22 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:57:40 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2013 7:13:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:02:48 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I think you may be insane. This is off the top of my head. The Beatles NEVER rocked as hard as these originators!

Chuck Berry
Fats Domino
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Billy Lee Riley
Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio
Little Richard
Doug Sahm
Johnny Kidd and the Pirates
Sonny Burgess
Jack Scott
Johnny Cash
Louis Jordan
Big Joe Turner
Ike Turner
Dave Bartholomew
Big Jay McNeeley
Screamin Jay Hawkins
Ritchie Valens
Amos Miburn
Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
The Coasters
Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps
Wanda Jackson
Bo Diddley
Johnny Otis
Little Willie John
Wynonie Harris
Larry Williams
The Everly Brothers
LaVern Baker
Ruth Brown
Roy Brown
Nappy Brown
Eddie Cochran
Link Wray & The Wraymen
Roy Orbison
Don & Dewey
Warren Smith
The Collins Kids
Ricky Nelson
Elvis Presley

I'll stop now but there's hundreds more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:06:59 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
Hey buddy. Who were you referring to with your tirade? This thread was obviously started to annoy people. It's a ridiculous proposition. Do you think there wouldn't be people that disagree vehemently?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:51:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:56:55 AM PST
W. Robinson says:
"rocked harder" , .. Does THAT mean artistically superior in your mind ?

"This thread was obviously started to anoy people" , . . Well I get the deffinate impresion that it has gotten under YOUR skin anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:59:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 10:00:21 AM PST
W. Robinson says:
That they were Chazzzbo, .. for sure! The Beatles were like the Glade ( pine scented ) to the rock realm!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions