Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 976-1000 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:56:23 PM PDT
Cordo says:
Come to think of it, I have the Percy soundtrack on CD. It came out in 1971. It has a fantastic instrumental version of "Lola" plus "Animals in the Zoo" and "Dreams." "God's Children" which was on Kink Kronikles, is the ultimate, one of Ray's best, right there with "Days" and "Celluloid Heroes." There are some instrumentals ("Helga," ""Whip Lady", "Running 'round Town") and some examples of the songs cut up as filler from the movie. I don't think Ray has ever explained what his beef with GLKA was; there was some superior stuff on it, most of which has come out in other forms anyway. "Animals in the Zoo" was released independently on a Reprise collection of things from their various artists which included, if I remember correctly, The Beach Boys' "It's about Time" from "Sunflower."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:58:57 PM PDT
I even like the last short track "God's Children - End".
Wish it was longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:01:05 PM PDT
Cordo says:
Every time I go to The City, I say "Please, Lord, not today. Or at least wait until I get back to Emeryville." So far, he has listneed, knock wahtever the desk in my hotel in Phoenix is made of. That'swhere I am. It's 80 degrees out there. How does anyone live here?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:01:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 20, 2013 3:25:07 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:06:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 7:06:57 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Cordo:
yeah, i know...Arizona (NM and Texas) are all he-- hot! stay cool, dear! try to do something fun, while you are there, if you can....it is a drag if all you have time for is work (even though i know that is why you are there in the first place!) bet you'd rather be in SF! one day, we might even make it over to Rasputin's....you think???? :)
love,
joyce :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:06:43 PM PDT
Cordo says:
The full length version is on Kink Kronikles. It's about 3.5 minutes as I recall. One of the rare tracks that is full stereo, even the vocals. Ray is in the middle, John is on the left, and Dave is on the right track, if I remember right. After that, Ray clustered most everything in the center for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 7:09:38 PM PDT
Cordo
I've got the main track, the one I'm sure you're referring to.
The last track on the soundtrack, "God's Children - End" sounds completely different, a different song, really.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:20:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 9:30:18 PM PDT
I think Ray supplied Reprise records some tracks from the vaults, to fullfill, or see out some contract, or something, he just wanted Reprise to acknowledge that they had the required number of tracks in their storage. But he still didn't want the tracks to be released, but kept in the Reprise vaults.
Luckily for Kinks fans, Reprise released the tracks, along with some songs from the soundtrack 'Percy' - which didn't get a US release as an LP. Which displeased Ray, who wanted the GLKA LP withdrawn.
GLKA also featured some UK B sides, a BBC track, that were pretty rare for US listeners, songs that missed out on appearing on 'Kinks Kronikles'. A few tracks had to wait until 2004 to be available to the public.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:21:38 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Could this be true!!!!

The Kinks, new Studio Album and Comeback Tour in 2013?
By Susan Garner|
London|
Last updated on November 5, 2012
Translations
Français
中文

Have the Kinks been working on a new album? While their representatives are keeping tight-lipped, reports have been circulating on the Internet. There have been strong rumors that the rock band is finally returning to the recording studio working on a what might be a back-to-roots album.
According to a source, rumors of the Kinks (Mick Avory, Dave Davies and Ray Davies, ed) working in recording studio are true, with as many as eight songs having been put to tape. "It's still in the early stages," "They got security on the doors to ensure no-one hears a whisper," a source said.

World Tour To Follow New Album?

The Kinks are rumoured to be planning a worldwide tour at the end of 2013. When contacted, a representative had no information on a new album, or any of the rock band's future plans. This isn't the first time in recent memory reports have surfaced about the Kinks recording sessions. Fans will be anxiously awaiting...

Do you think the Kinks will pick up right where he left off and deliver another excellent album? Have you heard any rumors about the new album? Let us know!!

What does anyone think?

HOAX OR WHAT!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:27:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 20, 2013 3:25:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:41:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:42:06 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
that would be AWESOME, but i wouldn't hold my breath......in the meantime though, check this out (if you haven't already seen it on the 'new' beatles thread...
Dear Eddie, Mitch, Bernard, Don, Cordo, and All KINKS Fans:
check out this guy's 'channel' on youtube....he has some awesome KINKS videos!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/eddie4forreal?feature=watch
love,
p.s., probably should have posted this on the Kinks forum....i will copy it over there...... :)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:52:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 9:08:53 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Everyone:
here is some Kinks songs for you all....hope you enjoy it.....
http://youtu.be/6nAAy3qBerY
http://youtu.be/MqAbOl7XH6g
http://youtu.be/tKqCaHpo1kE
love,
joyce

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:32:09 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
http://youtu.be/AHM3FL_2XaI
(all day, and all of the night........ :)
enjoy! (about an hour...a bit less....1979, Providence, RI...'One for the Road'...)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:25:03 PM PST
Hinch says:
Eddie

I think I hope it's true.

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:29:35 PM PST
Hinch says:
Good songs! I like "Mirror of Love" a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:38:15 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
yeah, it is a nice song...i was trying to post some that were a bit different from the usual..... :)
glad you enjoyed it...
love,

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:05:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:06:06 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
http://youtu.be/f_G1UeoX7hE (a long way from home.....)
http://youtu.be/omd1IwCNJj4 (strangers on this road we are on......we are not two, we are one........)
love,
joyce
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:37:42 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Joyce,
I wrote the lyrics down on the other thread but it is more appropriate on The Kinks one...instead of lyrics here is this great song by Dave...man these Davies brothers kill me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPtbHhjZxI&playnext=1&list=PLB94BF9D0721FE2B7&feature=results_video

Eddie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:43:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 10:20:05 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
yes, i figured it out, as even though you 'deleted' the post, it still showed up (most of it) within my original 'email notification' post from amazon, so i was able to read most of the lyrics, and just looked up the rest.....
i see you 'reposted' it here as well...thanks for the post, both the 'deleted' one, and the 'reposted' one (with the link of Dave singing it)...it is a very beautiful song, and very nice, beautiful lyrics as well...thank you for posting it for me....i am sorry that i bothered you about the original 'deletion'.
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:04:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:40:51 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Joyce, You never bother me....I think very highly of you, you're funny, serious, smart....you mean a lot to me...I feel like I know you for years...it's weird...I forgot, passionate!

Eddie:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:44:27 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dearest Eddie:
thank you for saying so; especially the little addition! :)
yes, i feel the same way about you, but to me, it doesn't feel weird, exactly, it just feels nice. :)
(did you 'see' your other messages?? :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:01:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 12:06:16 PM PST
Eddie H. says:
Joyce, A Long way From Home is another one of those lyrics that only Ray can write....Lola Vs. Powerman...is my 2nd favorite Kinks album after Face To Face(of i had to pick..it's not easy)..."Get Back in Line" is one of my favorite, beautifully delivered song, his singing the chord changes his plea to his wife...OMG..Ray is amazing

Eddie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:16:48 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
yes, it is a very nice song (get back in line); really, the whole album is quite nice, imo, but i'll bet you know which is MY fav song on that album........ :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:21:26 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
Joyce, It must be "Strangers"....oh yes, without a doubt....

Eddie

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:26:05 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
BTW...How many albums have the quality of songs like Lola Vs Powerman and Moneygoround part One;
1."The Contenders" - 2:42
2."Strangers" (Dave Davies) - 3:20
3."Denmark Street" - 2:02
4."Get Back in Line" - 3:04
5."Lola" - 4:01
6."Top of the Pops" - 3:40
7."The Moneygoround" - 1:47
8."This Time Tomorrow" - 3:22
9."A Long Way From Home" - 2:27
10."Rats" (Dave Davies) - 2:40
11."Apeman" - 3:52
12."Powerman" - 4:18
13."Got to Be Free" - 3:01
All other songs written by Ray Davies

Eddie
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1854
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions