In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 7:27:52 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Oh, I like that song. :)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 7:52:33 PM PDT
where is everybody? :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 7:54:25 PM PDT
I'm sitting right here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:44:46 PM PDT
hi here for the music! did you ever manage to get "suck my dixie" out of your head? XD

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 8:53:17 PM PDT
because if you don't like it, YOU CAN...keep having your own opinion which i respect very much!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:55:57 PM PDT
I forced it out by listening to a whole lot of other things.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:57:06 PM PDT
i love that song so much!
you an M.Manson fan at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 9:00:30 PM PDT
I have just about as much interest in M. Manson as I do in C. Manson.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 9:01:56 PM PDT
i... will take that as a no i guess!
maybe this will be more "your thing"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsJFmhATpjQ

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:11:36 PM PDT
i'm headin to bed... see ya later here for the music!

hinch and joyce, goodnight, wherever you are ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 10:31:30 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
glad you found it....it was a really, really, awesome song!!! saved it to my favorites list! thanks again for sharing....sent you one back....a link to another (older) song that i also love, with the same theme. hope you got it.
thanks again for the post, and the song!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 10:32:18 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
great! i will definitely check it out! thanks for the link.
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 10:37:29 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear James:
went to watch your "the trouble with math" video that you sent the link for, but i don't know if it is just me (or my computer), but there was just a black screen....nothing there! Tried it a few times, but same results....sorry! I tried!
hope you had a good day and great night....talk with you soon!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 10:39:09 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear James:
I know you won't see this till tomorrow, but hope you have a pleasant evening/sleep! sweet dreams!
love,
joyce

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:42:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 11:43:07 PM PDT
Been doing some week-end reading which includes:

'and on piano....NICKY HOPKINS' by Julian Dawson.

A fine read, gives a detailed look at Britain's finest keyboard session man. Tell of his times with The Kinks, Stones, Beatles, Who, Gene Clark, and countless others. Looks at the classic albums, singles he played on. The Kinks' song "Session Man" is often cited to be about him. Love that harpsichord opening he played on the song.
Recommended.
( Well, that's my first post for this thread).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 11:51:36 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Bernard:
Hey there! Welcome, welcome, welcome, dear Bernard!
the book you are reading sounds divine!!! LOVE Nicky Hopkins!!! He is/was an awesome session musician, and I know he played with lots of great people, and on many, many great records as well. I had heard he passed on a while back, but don't know what of...such a shame, but he is with Johnny now, and I know John (and George) must have been so happy to have him with them again! I am sure they were waiting for a good session keyboardist, besides Billy (Preston), to help out in their awesome rock and roll all star(r) band!!!! You know, the old "if there's a rock and roll heaven, etc. etc"......right???
Anyway, let me know what you think of it, when you are finished...sounds like a great read!
So happy you made it here!!!! Talk to you again really soon!
love,
joyce
p.s., my best to your mom (mum)....tell her I am still (re)reading Wuthering Heights, and LOVING IT, AGAIN!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:02:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 12:03:33 AM PDT
Dear Joyce
I forgot to mention how Hopkins played on Lennon's and Harrison's solo albums.
He seemed to have played with everyone! Ray Davies contacted him in the 90's and asked for him to play on a project of his, but it didn't happen. He died soon after of some illness, forget the name, but he was ill for much of his life. He died in 1994 or 95, haven't got the book with me as I type.

I'm finishing off my other book, "Johnny Got His Gun" a very effective book.
Glad you still like Wuthering Heights. And we do say 'mum' out here, rather than 'mom'.
My mother, from Northern England originally, writes it as 'mam'.

(Wuthering Heights was filmed in 1939, and was produced by Samuel Goldwyn.
Through out his life, he (Goldwyn) always called it 'Withering' Heights .
He was a Polish immigrant who came to the States and was famous back then for mangling the English language. But some people claimed that he really thought the book was called Withering Heights).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:20:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 12:22:43 AM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
yes, i know the one you mean....I have it, but it was not easy to get...it was with Merle Oberon, I believe, and Laurence Olivier???? I have a few others too (WH dvds), and love them all! The particular one you were mentioning here was in black and white, but many consider it to be the definitive version.....I do enjoy it, but there are a couple more that I also enjoy quite a bit....does your mum (mam!) have some of them as well? I also have a couple of Jane Eyre dads as well, and of course, i have the book!
love,
joyce
p.s., yes Nicky H. did play with almost everyone, I think! He seemed to be "everywhere", didn't he? I knew about him also playing with the Kinks as well, but hadn't heard about Ray not liking him or anything....interesting....thanks for the post!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:32:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2012 12:33:47 AM PDT
Dear Joyce
I don't think Ray ever disliked Hopkins, should my previous post have indicated that. Davies has been complimentary, if anything, on Hopkins. Hopkins did say Davies was a tight ass with money, though.

My mum has numerous dvds and VHS tapes of the Bronte sisters' work. I know she has a series on VHS of Jane Eyre, a British series from the early 80's and a more recent film of the same story on dvd.
She may have a copy of Wuthering Heights from 1970 with Timothy Dalton, and a copy of the old 1939 film as well. I remember back in the early 80's there was a TV adaptation of Wuthering Heights, but don't know if it's on dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:39:20 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Cool! I do too! I've been hearing it for a while and couldnt find out who it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:43:38 AM PDT
Hinch says:
James

I did. It was kinda funny, but not very memorable, so it left my head immediatley.

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:46:07 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I wouldnt say it's my "thing" but it's not bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:47:55 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Thanks James! I went to sleep a little after 9. I just now woke about 2:30 am.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 12:50:30 AM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
I have the 39 black and white version we talked about, the one from 1970 with Timothy Dalton, and a couple more....in one of them, Juliette Binoche (sp?) plays Catherine, don't remember who is Catherine in the other.....re: Jane Eyre, I have several of those, but would have to search for them to see which ones....
ask your mum if she has seen a movie called "The Wide Sargasso Sea"....it is based on a book of the same name by Jean Rhys (sp? sorry!), and is the story behind the character of Mr. Rochester's wife "Bertha", and how she eventually became "the crazy woman in the attic", Mr. Rochester's first (and secret) wife in Jane Eyre. I read the book years ago for an English Lit class in college, and loved it. Later on, someone made a movie out of it by the same name....the movie is awesome, imo. Bertha is originally from the Carribean, and Mr. Rochester meets her there, is smitten by her beauty, and also her father's wealth, and marries her, but she has mental illness in her family tree. Bertha's mother went insane around age 22 or so, and had to be institutionalized, but all of this information is hidden from Mr. Rochester. It is a very well done and beautifully filmed movie, and i think she would greatly enjoy it, both because it is a "prequel" of sorts to Jane Eyre, and as a movie that could stand on it's own. She might want to check it out, and perhaps the book, as well.
thanks for the post!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 1:18:13 AM PDT
Dear Joyce
I've heard of the book you mentioned, saw it reviewed on a TV book show here. I don't know if my mother's read it, but I can ask, next time I speak to her. I'm familiar with the Juliette Binoche film you mentioned, it was made in 1979(?). I did buy another book by the author Jean Rhys some time ago, but haven't read it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  5840
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions