Customer Discussions > Music forum

Just Music....Period

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 5546 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:03:04 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Jim!
I am not slipping! Is my slip showing? ;-)

re: chords

I'm not a musician but I imagine the chords they play could be easily transcribed to the piano, right?

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:05:50 PM PST
Butterfly says:
How could I have left off these two songs.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP3nZMZQbs&feature=related

Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0BssiwJBJs&feature=related

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:09:22 PM PST
AP. ah yes, I know them all. It's a special kind of 'way' the 60's songs were written.. Kinda had a 'new kind of chord progression that I like and is so 60's sounding.. I'ts hard to explain over here.. they did alot of 7th's like the Beatles.. basically same time period

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:11:08 PM PST
The Boxer is an awesome song. I remember that when it was out. I was 12!

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:32:24 PM PST
Butterfly says:
From The Inbox of AP:

Lee Konitz Trio: Live At The Village Vanguard

Here's the link to download the entire set.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122688265&sc=nl&cc=jn-20100124

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 2:39:36 PM PST
hey althea....

congratulations on your new baby!!!......

i'm not sure what the criteria is around here.....

but is there any motown OR maybe something ADORABLE......LIKE ME*??....

bitter~

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:41:59 PM PST
DKPete says:
For anyone who is a Paul Simon fan but particularly the work of Simon and Garfunkel, I'd like to highly recommend the book Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends. Written by New York veteran FM disc jockey, Pete Fornatele, it beautfully and endearingly encapsulates the time period of the album as well as explaining how the album itself encapsulates it's time period.

The writing is very heartfelt as Fornatele is not only an obvious fan of S&G but also takes you into a time in this country's history which he is as passionate about as he is the music which resulted from it. If anyone from the area is familiar with him, you can easily hear his very likeable, friendly speaking voice as you read his written words.

Personally, while Bridge Over Troubled Water is considered THE classic S&G album, I find it moreso a collection of good songs rather than a cohesive album. Bookends, on the other hand, transports you into an interweaving world of self-reflection (Simon's?) with a definite mood created by both the lyrical content and the music itself; this book very eloquently-and with a sense of lightness and humor-explains how and why.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 2:43:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2010 2:44:40 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Hi bittersweet,

There are no criterias, you can talk about any music you wish. :-)

re: Motown

We had a Motown party last night, check it out!

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:46:24 PM PST
new baby? Like in human? Should we be playing "Isn't she lovely"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 2:47:04 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Hi DK,

I'm anxious to read the book because of your eloquent post, thank you.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:47:05 PM PST
ah I guess you meant this forum, eh?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 2:48:00 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Jim,

She is a very good friend of mine too. She means this thread, not a real baby.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 2:48:17 PM PST
DKPete says:
You're very welcome.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:49:48 PM PST
Simon garfunkel. You are correct Sir, Bookends is always in the top 100 Albums of all time.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 2:58:53 PM PST
is there a book on Bookends?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 3:13:53 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Jim,

Didn't you see DK's post about it?

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 3:15:06 PM PST
ya, was confusing.. is there a book about Bookends??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 3:15:46 PM PST
DKPete says:
Jim..yes, as I said in my post a short while ago. It's one of these mini-book type things if you know what I mean-a single-sitting read through..but nicely written and effectively captures the warmth of the album as it speaks about it, the times in which it was released and the mind sets of the two people who created it.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 3:17:59 PM PST
Butterfly says:
More from AP's Inbox:

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 06:23 PM PST-The Blues Blogger

The persona of The Blues Blogger has allowed me to do a lot of soul searching and ponder aspects of my life in a way that was never possible before. It's given me a canvas in which to express myself, and at the same time feature artists that have inspired and motivated me along the way...

Throughout the course of this blog, I always wanted to do an article on guitar legend "Terry Kath"... This weekend it will be 32 years (on Jan 23rd) since Kath tragically lost his life. And Sunday January 31st marks what would've been his 64th birthday, so the timing seemed right.

I could spend days thinking of the right words to express how talented and versatile an artist Kath was, but I'm going to let the music speak mostly for itself... I'm hoping this brief post gives those who remember, and perhaps others not so familiar, a taste of this man's extraordinary work.

The First Ten Years of My Life

I grew up listening to my brother play guitar to a wide range of blues, jazz and rock tunes. He would practice endlessly into the night the grooves from albums he listened to earlier that day... On Saturday afternoons my brother's band rehearsed in the basement of our house. I remember on several of those daze way back when they added 2 sax players and worked on some songs from Chicago Transit Authority`s 1969 debut album.

For many people Terry Kath was one of the main focal points on that record and his finesse at one time even had Jimi Hendrix shaking his head in disbelief... Terry Kath's incredible guitar work coupled with his distinctive style, tone and phrasing was simply remarkable.

Terry Kath

was born in Chicago on January 31, 1946. He began playing drums and at 10 years old switched to guitar; teaching himself by using his mother's banjo. He gained inspiration playing along to records by The Ventures, and put together an instrumental group of his own, called The Mystics. After graduating high school, Kath met Walt Parazaider and Danny Seraphine while attending DePaul University and together formed The Missing Links. It was this band and The Big Thing that would later be known as The Chicago Transit Authority. Known for his scorching guitar solos and his astounding ability playing both rhythm and lead guitar, Kath was held in very high regard by many of his peers and inspired many guitarists along the way.

Terry Kath's guitar playing and vocals continued to be heard on such signature Chicago hits as "25 or 6 to 4," "Make Me Smile." and "Wishing You Were Here." Kath would appear on a total of 11 Chicago recordings from 1969 through 1977; all achieving at minimum a gold certification. Original band members Walter Parazaider, Danny Seraphine, Lee Loughnane, James Pankow, Robert Lamm, Peter Cetera and Kath formed a group with a unique vision and the result was a diverse powerhouse that created, "a new rock sound with horns."

As most people already know, the band shortened its name to Chicago for their second album and eventually became a pop ballad juggernaut. While they gained massive appeal, many of their fans went in a different direction after the loss of Kath. However for older music lovers and rock historians that first album has gone into the history books as a hugely creative, experimental and very musical piece of work on the same level as some of the best music ever produced in a debut effort.

Chicago Transit Authority or CTA was actually the first double LP I could call my own and a gift from my brother when he moved out of the room we had shared all our life... Over 40 years later this LP stands out as a major influence and also brings cool memories of growing up in changing times...

Terry Kath has played a huge significance in remembering moments from my past. Does Kath's music play any significance in time for you? Do you have any favorite songs that strike a chord? If so I'd love to hear from you.

Please share this post with others you think may enjoy it. Let's not forget this very important artist in music history. Your comments are always welcome...

Remembering the Times,

The Blues Blogger

Here's the link:

http://thebluesblogger.com/823/terry-kath-wishing-you-were-here?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBluesBlogger+%28The+Blues+Blogger%29

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 3:18:14 PM PST
man I thought some poster thought that the recording Bookends was a book.. or something.. Nevermind.. I understand now.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 3:25:59 PM PST
great about Kath,, don't know guitar players like you , of course.. but "Make me Smile' is an awesome track.. the last intrumental part at the end is great

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 3:27:39 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Jim et al,

Here's the product link for the Simon and Garfunkel book DK Pete was talking about.

Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends (Rock of Ages)

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 3:27:58 PM PST
AP.. Dallas and I are having a few precious comments the country music forum; name a favorite artist or song..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 3:28:47 PM PST
DKPete says:
The brass arrangements, granted, gave Chicago that "standout" difference at a time in which Progressive Rock was taking over the FM airwaves with mile long self indulgent "poetry" and keyboard solos another mile long (I did love a lot of it, though).

That said, it was Kath's guitar sound combined with those arrangements which really made Chicago magic. He is, without a doubt, one of the top ten most UNDERRATED and overlooked guitarists of our lifetime. He not only had speed, he was melodic and textural. Coincidence or not, it was pretty much around the time that he left us that Chicago's sound took a significant turn towards the mundane.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2010 3:32:32 PM PST
Butterfly says:
Jim,

Sorry, not into the drama. Music should bring people together and uplift us.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  176
Total posts:  5546
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions