Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

The best 5 cds you bought in 2012 include.....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2012 11:21:52 PM PST
Puffany says:
includes any studio/live/compilations/box sets...and doesn't have to be a new release

Not Your Kind Of People [Deluxe] by Garbage
Snap! by The Jam
All You Need Is Now [CD/DVD Combo] [Deluxe Edition] by Duran Duran
Lonerism by Tame Impala
Spring 1990 by Grateful Dead

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:48:28 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
The dB's, 'Neverland (Stands for Decibels / Repercussion)'
Shoes, '35 Years -- The Definitive Shoes Collection, 1977-2012'
Rush, 'The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits, 1974-1987'
Chris Bell, 'I Am the Cosmos' (my latest purchase, along with Paul Simon's 'Hearts and Bones')
Laura Cantrell, 'Not the Tremblin' Kind'

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:24:39 AM PST
In 2012, I mainly focused on 2012 releases and new reissues.

2012 new releases:
Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
Dion - Tank Full of Blues
Kelly Hogan - I Like to Keep Myself in Pain
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale - Buddy and Jim
World Famous Headliners - s/t

2012 reissue, re-release, archival
JD McPherson - Signs & Signifiers
Dan Penn - The Fame Recordings
Paul Kelly - Hot Runnin' Soul: The Singles 1965-71
Durocs - s/t
Various - Memphis Boys: The Story of American Studios

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:31:21 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Not sure yet about the best, but the latest are . . .
The Deadbeat Poets -- American Stroboscope (Pop Detective Records)
Dylan -- Tempest
Taj Mahal -- In Progress & In Motion (1965-1998)
"Blue" Max Schang -- Back Up Again
The Monkees -- First 5 albums in Original Album Series
Dion - Tank Full of Blues

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:08:37 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
I'm past my limit but forgot to add:
McCartney - Kisses On The Bottom
Rolling Stones -- GRRR!

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:55:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 11:57:41 AM PST
Micaloneus says:
Asia - xxx (deluxe edition)
The Beatles - mono box set
Mildred Bailey - Mosaic box set
Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (deluxe edition)
Deep Purple - Machine Head 40th Anniversary Box Set

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:14:30 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Emmylou Harris Red Dirt Girl
Advent At Ephesus
John Hiatt Mystic Pinball
Van Morrison Still On Top - The Greatest Hits [3 CD Box Set]
Pat Metheny One Quiet Night

All the best,
GT

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:16:22 PM PST
Brian Nelson says:
A Silent Film / Sand & Snow Best of 2012!
Ellie Goulding / Halcyon
The Killers / Battle Born
Beach House / Bloom
Circus Maximus / Nine

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:48:24 PM PST
Gave this some thought, and here's my answer:

Favorite 5 individual purchases of the year:

1. Swans - The Seer: a future classic, a real whale of an album. Just released in August. Also honorable mention for the live album "Swans Are Dead" (rel. 1999) which I got about a month ago.
2. Jandek - Brooklyn Wednesday (released 2007, document of 2005 concert). Avant garde free improv perfection. I've heard close to 20 albums by this uniquely weird musical project, and this is by far the best.
3. Hawkwind - Onward: Released Spring 2012. They've been putting out albums steadily since about 1970 and this is one of their top five.
4. The Move - Live at the Fillmore 1969: Released in 2011 I think. Live recordings of the Move are a very rare find, and this one really opened my eyes. In between their first two albums, they came to America for the first and only time, and completely blew the doors off the Fillmore. A huge, epic, powerful sound, lots of jamming, almost like the Who in their heyday. This served to rekindle my interest in the band.
5. CAN - The Lost Tapes (box set): Three CDs worth of completely unreleased (yet very releasable) music from the studio vaults? Yes please!

Most pleasant re-purchase / remaster:
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (2011 Remaster): My favorite Floyd album, suddenly sounds 25% better than ever before.

Greatest discovery of new (to me) artist:
Franco Battiato: Obscure Italian experimental musician from the 1970s, I fell in love with his music immediately. Incidentally, he became a mainstream pop star in Italy in the 1980s and continues to put out records, but it's the uniquely strange stuff from the 70s that really charmed me this year.

Greatest comeback:
Guided by Voices: Veteran indie band had been putting out albums since the late 80s, but no one outside of Dayton knew who they were until the mid 1990s, when they made a minor classic in "Bee Thousand". Since then, the band lineup changed a lot, continued to put out tons of albums, getting gradually more refined and (let's face it) stale. 10 years later (i.e. 2012), the "classic" lineup reforms, and puts out THREE full length albums, a few months apart, each very worthy to be mentioned along with their best work.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:33:40 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
I know you said that we weren't limited to albums released in 2012, but chose to limit myself to 2012 releases anyway:

1. Stars and Satellites - Trampled by Turtles (My daughter bought me a pair of concert tickets for Christmas. The show is next week...can't wait!)
2. 3 Pairs - Dwight Yoakam (More than 25 years after "Guitars Cadillacs Etc. Etc.," he is still turning out great music.)
3. We All Raise Our Voices to the Air - The Decemberists (Saw them on the tour that resulted in this live album. This made for a great souvenir.)
4. Live in NYC - Paul Simon (Seventy years old, and he sounds as good as ever--wow!)
5. Ladysmith Black Mambaza & Friends (Favorite track: "Amazing Grace/Nearer My God to Thee" with Emmylou Harris)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:37:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 7:38:39 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Ghost On The Canvas -Glen Campbell
Analog Man -Joe Walsh
http://www.amazon.com/Aqualung-40th-Anniversary-Jethro-Tull/dp/B005FVFWOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1356924924&sr=1-1&keywords=aqualung+40th+anniversary+special+edition+box -Jethro Tull
Hot Buttered Soul (40th Anniversary Edition) -Isaac Hayes
The Captain And Me & What Were Once Vices - Doobie Brothers -Doobie Bros.
Graceland 25th Anniversary Edition CD/DVD (featuring "Under African Skies" film) -Paul Simon

Plus about 20 Pat Metheny cd's and several vinyl albums, plus a dozen Emmylou Harris back catalog cd's and (3) records.

All the best,
GT

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:50:06 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Ah, Grandpa Tom. "Ghost on the Canvas" indeed. In the days where everything is stripped down a la T. Bone Burnette or Rick Rubin, it's great to see something with maximum productions values as in the case of Glen Campbell's album, supposedly his last. It is absolutely brilliant. Sometimes more is more. "Analog Man" is not too shabby either.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:58:51 PM PST
Working Man says:
Rush - 2112 (deluxe edition)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (40th Anniversary edition)
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (2 disc remaster edition)
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Black Country Communion - Afterglow

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:43:53 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Loads of old stuff, but sticking with the new and notwithstanding the excellent albums from Cohen, NY & Crazy Horse, and Dylan.

In no particular order:

Blues Funeral - Mark Lanegan Band
Blunderbuss - Jack White
Fear Fun - Father John Misty
Meat & Bone - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
BANGA - Patti Smith

Live - Celebration Day (Deluxe Edition 2CD + 2 DVD (CD sized digipak)
Soundtrack - Lawless (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 4:55:09 AM PST
Randy says:
Steve, I LOVE Trampled By Turtles!

I hope you will give us a review of the show.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:33:22 PM PST
K. Carter says:
I probably listened to these five the most:

Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
Tempest - Bob Dylan
3 Pears - Dwight Yoakam
Clockwork Angels - Rush
Crossing Jordan Soundtrack - Various Artists

I bought the Crossing Jordan release after hearing Richard Thompson's thrilling nine-plus minute version of "Season Of The Witch". I know absolutely nothing about the TV show, but I discovered that the rest of the CD is very, very good as well.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:11:10 PM PST
Zero Wolf says:
ZZ Top - La Futura
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill
Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Best of Mick Jagger - only got it for "Memo From Turner", was surprised that some of the other songs were good!
Santana - Abraxas

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:25:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 3:26:07 PM PST
Val H. says:
I bought a heap of back catalogue albums this year but my favourites are all newies.

The Bravest Man In The Universe - Bobby Womack
Privateering (2CD) - Mark Knopfler
One Day I'm Going to Soar - Dexys
Love Your Crooked Neighbour With Your Crooked Heart - Charles Jenkins
Orkney: Symphony of the Magnetic North - The Magnetic North

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 10:13:04 AM PST
Albums
1. The Electric Age-Overkill
2. A Different Kind Of Truth-Van Halen
3. Afterglow-Black Country Communion
4. Live From The Beacon Theater-Joe Bonnamassa
5. 7 Deadly-UFO

Compilations

1. The Columbia Album Collection-Blue Oyster Cult
2. The Chrysalis Years (1973-1979)-UFO
3. The Chrysalis Years (1980-1984)-Michael Schenker Group
4. A Tale Untold-Robin Trower
5. Farther Up The Road-Robin Trower

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 12:09:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 1:11:44 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Jim McG:

I just got done doing my rating for 2012 album with artists beginning with the letter "H" and forgot to pull the Hogan album. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's my list of H's for the year in order of preference (without Hogan)....

Laurel Halo, Patterson Hood, The Heavy, Julia Holter, Richard Hawley, Hilary Hahn (a forward thinking classical violinist), Heartless Bastards, Glen Hansard, How to Dress Well, Hot Chip, the Hives, Halestorm, Here We Go Magic, High On fire, Heidevolk.

I was a bit disappointed by Hot Chip and The Hives. Hogan will fit in nicely with this bunch.

ed.

ps. I have a lot of Hawkind albums but not that new release. Will keep my eyes and ears open. Many many years ago, I bought my first Hawkwind album, Space Ritual, and for some reason, hated it. I actually frisbeed it. Years later, I became an avid Hawkwind collector, but I never go Space Ritual again. Recently, I ordered it on the cheap. We shall see. I can't remember disliking their general style of music in the 70's. Who knows?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 12:27:45 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Brian Nelson:

I noticed your mention of Ellie Goulding. Here's my list of favorite "G"s for the year in order of preference:

Guided By Voices, Grimes, Grizzly Bear, Todd Gustavson, Galactica, Robert Glasper, Ellie Goulding, Garbage, Gaslight Anthem, Melody Gardot, Green Day, Gojira.

I should add that Gojira was part of my never ending attempt to "get" certain elements of metal.

My B's by preference:

Beach House, BT, Big Brother & Holding Co.(Live from 68...2012 release), Bahamas, Band of Skulls, Andrew Bird, Balkan Beat Box, Azealia Banks, Bear in Heaven, Eric Bibb, David Byrne/St. Vincent, Bat For Lashes, Band of Horses, Joe Bonamasso, Baroness, Bhi Bhiman, Beachwood Sparks, Big K.R.I.T., Big Pink, Tommy Bolin, Bowerbirds, Bleeding Knees Club, Buckethead, Kishi Bashi, Beachboys, Brandon Benson, Dierks Bentley

Biggest disappointments were Big Pink, Buckethead and Brandon Benson.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 12:55:16 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@rare goat:

I've got the Swans Seer album(s) and love it. I haven't got to rating my "S" albums by preference. When I first heard Seer, I was thinking it would wind up my #1 for the year. I'm not sure now but it will be up there. I love the Swans.

The Can collection is another one up near the top for me. Here's my rankings so far for my "C" artists, 2012:

Can, Cloud Nothings, Neneh Cherry & The Thing, Cold Specks, Caspian, Calexico, Leonard Cohen, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Cat Power, Nick Cave/Warren Ellis (Lawless ST), Ry Cooder, Shawn Colvin, Christian Mistress, Counting Crows, Alex Chilton, Brandi Carlile, Chairlift, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jimmy Cliff, Cancer Bats, The Cult, Curren&y.

I wasn't as disappointed with Cat's album as a lot of people evidently were. I was with Chairlift....with the kind of music they do, I thought I'd have something. I'm not sure why Cliff is so low on my list. I think Chilton will wind up before or after Ry Cooder.

As for GBV, you will notice that they were FIRST on my G list which I posted because of a mention of Ellie Goulding. I only have Class Clown from 2012 but I immediately thought of it as a great one for that "albums for a desert island".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:21:39 PM PST
Tim Aebi says:
GP - we are of the same ilk - Loved Analog Man by Joe - went over and saw him solo in Reno in September - he was AWESOME. I think we're going to see all the Joe we can handle coming up - he's been reborn - and I'm good with that. Also, Glen Campbell's album was great - a goodbye note from a man that has never really received his just dues in my opinion. What an artist he is. As for the Doobies? Can't get enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 5:04:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 9:26:53 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Steve Vrama:

Another that I missed. I did a list of my D's for 2012 and had the Decemberist's album but didn't include it. That will be corrected. In the meantime, this is what I'd already come up with for my D's in order of preference:

Deerhoof, Death Grips, Dirty Three, Dead Sara, Dr. John, Dirty Projectors, Dinosaur Jr., DIIV, Divine Fits, Bob Dylan, Dead Can Dance, Dry The River, Deacon Dan, Django Django, Demolition String Band

Boy does it look strange with Dylan the 10th favorite of the D's only. What can I say. I didn't like the album that much.

Decemberist, of course, will be added somewhere. (When I first posted this, I mistakenly listed Decemberist as first when, in fact, it was Deerhoof)

ed.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:05:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 7:14:48 AM PST
vivazappa says:
1-Macca-Ram (Super Duper Pooper Scooper Deluxe)
2-Chris Robinson Band-Big Moon Ritual
3-Chris Robinson Band-Magic Door
4-Grateful Dead-1990 Tour (Box set)
5-Grace Potter-Lion, Beast, Beat

Decent:
Bruuuce-Wrecking Ball
NEIL-Psycho Pill
Van Halen-Truth
Hiatt-Mystic Pinball
Ian Hunter-When I'm President
Ian Anderson-Brick 2
Joe Walsh-Analog Man
Gov't Mule-98 Tour Box Set
Mark Knopfler-Privateering

Uggh!
Dylan
Rush
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions