Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: #1 of many great bands

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 11:39:29 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
rokroller
LOL

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 12:39:21 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
ronct says:
Nothintosay,

I agree with your post except for the part of omitting their music of pre-Rubber Soul. Yes, music overall was in a simpler form back in 1963-64 when the Beatles started their rise to fame, but what they were doing musically still led the pack compared to other artists of the time

I agree with your entire post . Great post

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:42:37 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
"but are also quite easy on the eyes!"

Dear Joyce :
If they all looked like Lemmy they would've been just as big ..'cause there songs were soooo good

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:50:10 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I was at the Nassau show!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:00:03 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I've seen The Kinks and Ray Davies many, many times and although there have been some "off" shows Ray is an amazing entertainer and some of the shows were magical. (Of course all The Kinks concerts from 1966 through 1996 were better than The Beatles' shows during the same period)

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 1:12:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 1:13:34 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
I saw the Kinks only once ..smaller venue in NJ ...the Soap Opera tour , they had props on stage ..tables , chairs if I remember correctly ...they weren't great , weren't bad either ...I did walk away thinking Dave Davies was a Great guitar player ..something that doesn't come across as well on record

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:53:32 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
yeah, well I doubt their poor mother was "smiling" about all their fighting!!! You know, i don't know how she (and their dad) ever allowed that crud.....there were 5 of us, and if we ever did that kind of stuff, my mother would have slapped us into next week! If you allow it when they are little, (and display that kind of behavior yourself, maybe) they just get worse and worse as they get bigger. You have to stop it when they are small, before it gets out of hand, and before they and their fights get bigger! My kids are NOT EVER allowed to hit each other; nor are they allowed to get verbally nasty with each other....also, I don't model that kind of behavior for them. Also, sometimes with boys, people have this double standard of behavior, and just say, "oh, you know, boys will be boys, and they are just aggressive by nature!" Yeah, well that may be, but they can still be taught what is acceptable and what is not, and how to manage that aggression, and not be allowed to beat the snot out of each other, because they are "just being boys"!!! It is the same double standard with boys not being allowed to show emotion in other ways, such as crying, but girls can. That is such bull pucky, imo!
I guess they had been fighting for so many years, and it was tolerated, that they just kept right on doing it...some of it too, i think was too much alcohol/drugs.
I LOVE the KINKS, but if I were their mother, i would kick their behinds if they behaved that way! As soon as they got home from their tour, they would be in BIG TROUBLE!!
Do you (or anyone) think that some of the fighting and acting out on stage was to add to the whole rock and roll ambiance, and to draw the crowds, or do you all think it was just bad behavior/tempers????? Sort of reminiscent of the Who breaking up all of their equipment, another thing I never could understand. I always felt it was totally unnecessary, stupid, and a waste of awesome equipment, that many of their fans could never dream of being able to afford or own...I know it was part "anger" at the establishment/in general, and part "a part of their act", but I always thought it was so stupid, and rather than be a reason for me to like them and want to go see them, it was actually one of the reasons I did not. I am glad they pretty much stopped that ridiculous behavior in later years (sort of). Also like Hendrix setting his guitar on fire, and/or busting it up on stage; stupid, imo, and a total waste of a beautiful and expensive instrument. It also showed a total lack of "value" for their instrument too, and I don't just mean the cost....I would NEVER do that to any instrument I owned....to me, it is almost a sacrilege! Complete and total stupidity, imo!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:56:06 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie:
yeah, I would have said, "we came here to watch you all play; not fight"! cmon guys! fight on your own time (although there is NEVER an excuse for that kind of fighting; on stage or off stage, imo)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:57:40 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie and Rokroller:
wow, New Years Eve at the London Palladium with the Kinks would have been amazing!!! wow, Eddie, you are lucky to have seen that! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:00:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 2:08:38 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Nothintosay:
that may very well be true, and is! I am not disputing that, or saying that their looking good is the reason for their popularity.....I am merely saying it was an "extra added bonus", that's all! of course their songs were "soooo good"....no arguments here! just simply making an observation, and/or stating a fact.....
thanks for the post! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:02:18 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Mitch:
re: I was at the Nassau show!
what did you think of it? it would be interesting to compare/contrast with Eddie's experience at the same show, don't you think?
love,
joyce
p.s. how's "radio days" at work???????? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:04:42 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Nothintosay:
I think Dave is an AWESOME guitar player, and is highly underrated/undervalued, for his playing, innovation, and musicianship within (and without) the band in general.......mo....

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:05:24 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
Dear Joyce :

So you're saying that you like Motorhead ...and Lemmy being good looking is just an added bonus too ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:12:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 2:18:34 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Nothintosay:
no, I was talking about the Beatles, and thought you were too???? No???? LOL!!
I am just saying you cannot discount the added sex appeal/charisma of (an) entertainer(s), and that it is part of the overall "package"....(but I was talking about the Beatles! I was originally responding to a post of Eddie's, that was an article of several paragraphs that he had copied from a blog, about someone's thoughts on why the beatles were so popular. if i did not make that clear, i apologize.)

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:19:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 2:19:39 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
Joyce says:

I am just saying you cannot discount the added sex appeal/charisma of (an) entertainer(s), and that it is part of the overall "package"

Dear Joyce :
is that why I can't stop playing down my Kylie Minogue cd's ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:22:36 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Nothintosay:
while I don't think this is the ONLY reason, yes, I believe you may be onto something there! LOL! (sorry for the earlier confusion about Lemmy/Radiohead/Lads from Liverpool.... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:25:07 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I was in the 3rd row and actually didn't see all the people leaving. We did see the fight and actually laughed our butts off. I don't remember it being so early in the show (the magic dragon was quite puffed) and I rememer Ray coming out and saying that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:28:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 3:40:25 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Mitch:
re: "the magic dragon was quite puffed"....lol...too funny! where do you get these expressions of yours? you are just too funny, and I love you for it!
re: the concert: o.k., so besides all that, what did you think of the show itself? (or was the dragon too puffed for you to recall any of that as well? lol!) just thought it would be an interesting comparison, since you were both there at the same concert....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:44:16 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I was never at a Kinks' show that wasn't totally entertaining. Ray is a great entertainer so even on nights where they were sloppy they were enjoyable. I remember the Nassau show more for realizing I was getting old when the "kids" in front of us jump up and screamed "hey they're doing a Van Halen song" when they started You Really Got Me. I saw Ray about a year ago and he was simply amazing having fum with the crowd and really enjoying himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:41:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 3:42:25 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Joyce...(It was the palladium in NYC)It was the New Years after Lennon was killed...and in the beginning of the show Ray made a comment that at 1st everybody took their lighters out and then when he said what he said people booed, but then everyone got what Ray was actually saying and the ovation got so loud it was deafening...then The kinks played 2 1/2 hours of unadulturated greatness!!
(this is what he is said, "their is someone not here tonight who should be here one of the greats--then a pause---then he said "Barry Manilow")

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:42:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 3:49:46 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Mitch:
thanks for the post....LOL! Van Halen, huh??? wow!
re: seeing Ray; hopefully he wasn't also hitting his guitarist over the head with his acoustic! I would like to think he (and Dave) has "outgrown" that behavior! lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:43:40 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Mitch...The Magic dragon was puffing with us too......

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:44:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 3:54:13 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Eddie (and Mitch):
re: where's Barry?
very cute! thanks for the post, and the memories! still sounds awesome to me, and wish I would have been there too! :( wow, it seems that dragon sure does get around, doesn't he?
Also, it appears that despite the onstage brawl, you both enjoyed the rest of the show! that's good! I would have loved to have seen them at least once, at this concert, or any other, for that matter!
love,
joyce
...and frolicked in the autumn mist
in a land called Honah Lee........
....without his lifelong friend, puff could not be brave
so puff, that mighty dragon, sadly slipped into his cave........

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:51:00 PM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Joyce, Not the London Palladium, The palladium In NYC(Used to be The Academy of Music)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:52:52 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I doubt it. If Dave was the guitarist it would still happen
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6976 58 seconds ago
Obamas war on women 1068 1 hour ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 58 1 hour ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4966 1 hour ago
Long Careers in Music 62 1 hour ago
who was john belko? 0 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4089 2 hours ago
Pork and the Havana Ducks 151 2 hours ago
Your Favorite Song By . . . 2714 2 hours ago
A Taste of 2014... 1154 3 hours ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 305 8 hours ago
My Let It Bleed 10 9 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  109
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions