Customer Discussions > Music forum

Name 10 Groups Better Than The Beatles From The 60's

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9876-9900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:25:40 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
Didn't hee hask yu nut too mayk phun ov hiz graamar?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:26:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:33:40 PM PDT
He said it was "rumored" that The 4brits stole the music from the Rutles.
Just like he "read" Pete Best was a better drummer than Ringo.
But no information is ever supplied on what the sources are for this "research" , what reading matter, or where the rumor came from, where it was heard/read.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:28:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 7:29:37 PM PDT
Robert J. says:
All great groups but none of them come close or are better than the Beatles

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 7:33:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 7:35:31 PM PDT
Ah yes he did, me forget, it was 'english' - no capital E - grammar he didn't want to speak of, it was childish, he said.
I was just reading a post on how Elvis was so good at RYTHM and Blues.
RYTHM? Is that a word?
Woops, there I go again.....

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:10:08 PM PDT
willgee says:
The Beatles were deeply influenced by the music of THE MIRACLES.

(For those that didn't believe me, check out the link.)

http://www.beatlesebooks.com/hold-on-me

"Of all the cover songs the Beatles recorded for this album, "You Really Got A Hold On Me" held a special place in their hearts. It was recently recorded by its' writer William "Smokey" Robinson and his group The Miracles and first hit the charts only earlier that year, debuting on the Billboard singles chart on January 12, 1963. Yet just over six months later, the Beatles chose to translate the song themselves. In fact, this was the first song they chose to record for the album.

The Beatles had a special attachment to the music of the Miracles. Many influences can be sited that have contributed to the sound and style of the Beatles music, but Smokey Robinson and the Miracles were definitely on the top of that list during the latter half of 1963. Many of the Lennon/McCartney songs appearing during this period were said, by the authors themselves, to have been inspired by Smokey, including "This Boy," "All I've Got To Do" and "Not A Second Time." So engrossed as they were to capturing the feel of the Miracles music, they decided to cover one of their songs themselves.

In retrospect, an event occurring in 1980 during the recording of Lennon's "Double Fantasy" album sheds some light on the impact of The Miracles music on the career of the Beatles. While recording the vocal track for the hit song "Woman," Yoko commented that John sounded like a Beatle. Lennon corrected her by saying, "Actually I'm supposed to be Smokey Robinson at the moment, my dear, because the Beatles were always supposing that they were Smokey Robinson."

The admiration the Beatles held for Smokey could also be seen as recent as the 2009 Grammy Awards. When Smokey appeared on stage to honor fellow Motown artists The Four Tops, Paul McCartney, who was in the audience, jumped to his feet and admiringly gave him a thunderous standing ovation, as if to honor the man who was one of the greatest influences of his career."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 8:14:40 PM PDT
Robert J. says:
The Beatles were far, far more than a fad. That is an insult to them. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison were brilliant songwriters. I was there when it all happened, They took their love of American rock and roll and turned into something unique, different and totally their own. No one else sounded like that. Nobody else wrote such wonderful melodies in a rock song. No on even looked like them, You had to have been their to understand, You have to consider what popular music was like in America. at that time,. Their music blew us away with iits uniqueness, The Beatles changed everything in pop an\d rock including the entire culture at the time. They were the pioneers leading the way to true freedom. What music you like today might not even exists if it weren't for those lads. As all of us grew and matured so did them and there music, No the Beatles were never gave us mopre wondera fad. Even after the breakup John, Paul, and George continued giving us great music, Their music is still with us, their legend has remained and been respected by many. The Beatles a fad? Not hardly. The Music of the Beatles is here to stray,to be enjoined and appreciated. These things do not happen to fad bana,

'

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:16:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:18:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:18:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:33:59 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:19:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:46:29 PM PDT
willgee says:
But wait...there's more:

"Songwriting History

William "Smokey" Robinson was born on February 19, 1940 in Detroit, Michigan. An uncle gave him the nickname "Smokey Joe" (later shortened to "Smokey") at a young age because of his love for cowboy movies. In 1955, Smokey formed a vocal group called "The Five Chimes" and then, with some personnel changes, it became "The Matadors." Among the new members of this group was Claudette Rogers who later became Smokey's wife.

As the lead singer of "The Matadors," Smokey began touring local hot spots in Detroit and, in 1958 under their new name "The Miracles," released records on End Records and Chess Records through his connection with his newly found friend Berry Gordy. When Smokey suggested to Berry the idea of forming his own record label, "The Miracles" were among the first acts signed to his "Tamla" label (which soon evolved into "Motown Records."

Smokey's close friendship with Berry led to his being appointed vice-president of Motown Records in 1961, as well as working as a successful artist, producer and songwriter for the label. The Miracles single "Shop Around" became the first number one single on the Billboard R&B charts for Motown (#2 on the pop charts). Their career with Smokey as lead singer/songwriter on Motown's "Tamla" label spanned twelve years and 27 top 40 hits on the Billboard pop charts, six of which reached the top ten, including "Mickey's Monkey" (#8), "I Second That Emotion" (#4) and "Baby, Baby Don't Cry" (#8). Their 1970 release "The Tears Of A Clown" was the only number one of Smokey's career, solo or otherwise.

The Miracles fourth top 40 pop hit was also their second top ten (peaking at #8), the self-penned classic "You've Really Got A Hold On Me." The single was released in Britain on the Oriole label but failed to make the charts, although it did get the attention of John Lennon who loved it enough to scarf it up for the Beatles to work up a powerful rendition.

The song has also been covered by many other artists, including Eddie Money and Greg Allman and Cher, and is also a 1998 Grammy Hall Of Fame inductee. The song has also been included in many motion pictures, such as "Nothing But A Man" (1964), "More American Graffiti" (1979), "Mermaids" (1990) and "Striptease" (1996). Smokey himself also did a rendition of the song on Sesame Street, highlighting how the letter "U" had such a hold on him.

Smokey's career as songwriter at Motown included a vast array of hits for other artists, including both "My Guy" by Mary Wells and "My Girl" by The Temptations. Other noteworthy examples are "The Way You Do The Things You Do" and "Get Ready" by The Temptations, "Ain't That Peculiar" and "I'll Be Doggone" by Marvin Gaye and "Don't Mess With Bill" by The Marvelettes. His immense contributions to the Motown label has earned him the title "The King Of Motown."

Smokey left The Miracles in 1972 to pursue a solo career, his final concert appearance with the group being July 16, 1972. While continuing his duties as vice-president of Motown, he scored three top 40 hits in 1975 before returning to the Billboard top 5 with "Cruisin'" (#4 in 1979) and the million selling "Being With You" (#2 in 1981). After a well documented cocaine addiction and divorce with Claudette, his career slowed, only to re-emerge in 1987 with two additional top 10 hits, the Grammy Award winning "Just To See Her" (#8) and "One Heartbeat" (#10).

As Smokey continues to record and perform periodically, one cannot underestimate the influence he has had on the music industry. Among many of his honors, he has received a star on the "Hollywood Walk Of Fame." (note: The Miracles have also recieved a star on The Walk Of Fame as a GROUP, making Smokey a double honoree) . Bob Dylan has referred to him as "America's greatest living poet." The 80's pop group ABC scored a #5 hit with a tribute song "When Smokey Sings," which charted in the top ten with Smokey's "One Heartbeat" single in 1987.

His influence on the Beatles has also been noteworthy. The Miracles' song "I've Been Good To You" has been revealed by John Lennon to be one of his all-time favorite songs, which lyrically influenced his 1968 song "Sexy Sadie." Lennon also reportedly used lyrical ideas from Smokey's song "You Can Depend On Me" in writing his 1963 ballad "All I've Got To Do." Even "I Am The Walrus" contains the "I'm crying" lyric taken from Smokey's "Ooh Baby Baby." George Harrison recorded the tribute song "Pure Smokey" on his 1976 album "Thirty-Three And 1/3." All in all, the delicately fragile vocal style of the "King Of Motown" has had and still has a tremendous impact on the music industry."

As I said before...The MIRACLES were the group to BEAT during the Sixties.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 8:24:53 PM PDT
raja99 says:
Elvis Fan:

Re: "It was rumored that the beatles stole music from the Rutles. That doesn't surprise me."

LOL. Rumored by who? Another moron like yourself? YOU KNOW NOTHING! You lose all credibility when you make such an ignorant statement as that. You obviously don't know the first thing about what you are talking about if you don't even know that the Rutles were a fictional band in a comedy movie. That's really rich!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 8:27:10 PM PDT
Frogman says:
Doug Sahm

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:41:21 PM PDT
I'll be shortL: Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin. They released their first album in 1969.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:58:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 9:21:45 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
spirit healer says:I'll be short .They released their first album in 1969.

I'll be short too .

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - a cover of an Anne Bredon song
You Shook Me - A Willie Dixon Cover - first done by Earl Hooker ...the Zep version is a version of Jeff Beck's version ...of which he was not pleased
Dazed and Confused- an uncredited cover of a Jake Holmes song
Black Mountain Side- a rip of Bert Jansch's Black Waterside without the lyrics
I Can't Quit You Baby- A Willie Dixon cover done by Otis Rush
How Many More Times - a rip of Howlin Wolf's How Many More Years with thanks to Savoy Brown's Stay With Me Baby

...would you like me to run through Zeppelin II ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 9:10:35 PM PDT
raja99 says:
willgee:

The biggest influence on the Beatles was NOT Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, it was Buddy Holly. While still called the Quarrymen, bassist Stu Sutcliffe suggested they change the band name to "The Beetles", as a tribute to their biggest influence, Buddy Holly and The Crickets. Initially, they changed the name to "The Silver Beetles", which was eventually shortened and the word purposely misspelled (to emphasize the word "beat").

While it is true that they liked that particular Robinson song ("You Really Got a Hold On Me") and did a cover of it, it was on their second album, "With the Beatles". Their first recorded and released song was an original Lennon/McCartney song, "Love Me Do", which was released as a single, with another original composition as the B side, "P. S., I Love You".

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:15:45 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
willgee says:
" Paul McCartney, who was in the audience, jumped to his feet and admiringly gave him a thunderous standing ovation, as if to honor the man who was one of the greatest influences of his career "

It must have been a kick for Smokey to have a member of the greatest band of all time give him a nod

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:26:53 PM PDT
raja99 says:
The Beatles albums, "Revolver" (1966), "Sgt. Pepper's..." (1967), "The Beatles (aka the white album) (1968) and "Abbey Road" (1969) were widely considered 4 of the most innovative and influential albums in rock history. Nearly every published list of "The Greatest 100 Albums in Rock History" have "Sgt. Pepper's..." as #1 of all-time. The one exception is a list I read that had "Revolver" at #1, "Sgt. Pepper's..." at #2 and "Pet Sounds" (by the Beach Boys) at #3. All of these lists resulted from thousands and thousands of votes submitted by various rock critics, producers, songwriters and musicians.

TIME magazine collectively included The Beatles in their compilation of "The 20th Century's 100 Most Influential People".

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 9:33:37 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
raja99 says:
The Beatles albums, "Revolver" (1966), "Sgt. Pepper's..." (1967), "The Beatles (aka the white album) (1968) and "Abbey Road" (1969) were widely considered 4 of the most innovative and influential albums in rock history

raja ...opinions from magazines , contemporaries and historians are meaningless , unless of course they are about The Kinks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 9:57:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 9:58:02 PM PDT
willgee says:
Read the article. The link is there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 9:57:55 PM PDT
ronct says:
I think it might be a vegetable something like okra? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:04:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 10:29:18 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I dont know about the mono. I wouldnt be interested in a mono of something that wasnt originaly released in mono. I didnt know RAM was ever released in mono.

I havent heard anything like that about Keith. I have heard Ron has had problems with alcoholism and he may not be able(or welcome) to tour with them. It's caused lot of problems for him, or so I've heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:08:13 PM PDT
ronct says:
I think the Beatles easily did that. The Miracles were ok but they weren't in the Beatles league. The Beatles left that early sound in the dust and took music to new levels. Smokey just continued his same style/level of music throughout his career. He was good but no match for the Beatles IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:11:14 PM PDT
Hinch says:
This statement once again shows you are clueless about music, but we already knew that.

In case you didnt understand a previous post, I'll put it bluntly so you can understand.

You keep calling people hicks. Elvis was a country boy and a hick, as much so or more than Johnny Cash.

"Hillbilly Cat"....sounds like a hick to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:15:35 PM PDT
Hinch says:
He knows nothing about music. I still think he's a teenager, maybe 16 or 17. If he is, he needs to grow up and act his age. As someone else has already mentioned, the era he grew up in seems to keep changing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:21:31 PM PDT
Hinch says:
This thread was started Feb 22. That's over a year, einstein.

How long a thread lasts is determined by the amount of posts, not by how old it is, genius.

Btw, there is a difference in a forum and a thread. Do you know what the difference is without looking it up?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:24:11 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Let me enlighten you. The Rutles were very influenced by The Beatles. Perhaps more than any band in history. Now you know.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  1084
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions