Customer Discussions > Music forum

Curious Omissions from Greatest Hits Albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:00:53 PM PST
The Russian George Harrison comp also omits "Bangla Desh" and "You" (both also missing from the "Let It Roll: Song of George Harrison" comp). This is why I still keep my original Capitol "Best of George Harrison" issued on vinyl in 1976, reissued on CD in 1987.

"Shot in the Dark" isn't on "The Essential Ozzy Osbourne", but it is on "The Ozzman Cometh". Although, check to see if they've issued "The Essential Ozzy Osbourne 3.0" yet - they'll include a third disc with about 1/2 hour of more hits, of course, for more money, and it may now include "Shot in the Dark". This is why it's unwise to jump at any of Sony/Legacy's "Essential" series when they're first issued.

It always annoyed me that my favorite Neil Diamond song (and a Top 5 hit), "Longfellow Serenade" was excluded from the two-disc Essential, but showed up on the "3.0" edition.

With so many Hits compilations on the market, it is sometimes simply a matter of doing your homework BEFORE BUYING, and choosing the comp that best suits your needs.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 3:34:27 PM PST
CD Lover, exactly! I did not even mind the Graceland tracks missing as I had the Graceland CD as I think many Simon did. But the omission of American Tune was one of the songs that was originally on the Greatest Hits vinyl. The live version of Duncan was also on that hits album. Also MIA was Stranded In A Limousine, Take Me To The Mardi Gras and whatever else. (I can't recall). So why not just put that album out on CD. Then they could have did a Vol 2 with Graceland tracks, Hearts And Bones and whatever other solo material that came out after the original greatest hits.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:08:31 PM PST
MarcTheKing says:
The omissions are usually due to one of 2 reasons:

1. Label disagreements-- In the case of T. Rex and no "Bang A Gong", I believe it had to do with the different record labels T. Rex switched from after their big hit with "Electric Warrior".
2. To make more money! -- If the big hit is missing, you have to go buy more material from that artist. Same reason iTunes won't sell hit singles from some big albums they offer. "album only" is a big problem with iTunes, especially with Movie Soundtracks that offer one song people want and then garbage or symphonic stuff for the rest. Forces the consumer to spend more!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 12:15:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 12:23:50 PM PST
CD Lover says:
Re: Paul Simon's "Negotiations..." - while it is a very good collection it was always curious to me that it omitted Top 40 single "An American Tune". Also, both "Graceland" and "Boy In The Bubble" charted on the Billboard Top 100 and got considerable FM airplay, which "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes", as well as several other cuts on the album, never did.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:24:03 AM PST
Speaking of T. Rex, in 1991 they released a 3-CD box set compilation entitled "The Essential Collection." "Bang a Gong", by far Bolan

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:23:51 AM PST
aaron says:
AC/DC deserves one if any ever has!

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:22:11 AM PST
aaron says:
Rush gold replaced"something for nothing"with working man"good trade,but they could have taken"by-tor and the snow dog" off of there instead.Still don't know how that got on there?Gold is just retospectives 1 an 2 with "working man"now included,that's all!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:19:06 AM PST
aaron says:
Guns and roses greatest hits could have been a bit better.Has anybody ever heard"since I don't have you" ever on the radio?I havent.They could have put "It's so easy"and Night train"on there and "Hair of the dog"too!I like"I used to love her" and Mr.brownstone"as well,Maybe not "hits"but would have made it better for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:13:53 AM PST
aaron says:
The essential Ozzy doesn't have "shot in the Dark"What the hell!!!???

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 8:46:44 AM PST
First of all, Any Greatest Hits or Best Of release from the vinyl days should be available for those that enjoyed those collections on their vinyl. An example was Paul Simon's Greatest Hits that was out sometime in the mid-to late 70's. Of course there are many Paul Simon collections to choose from now but I had to go here and go there and end up downloading some songs (I prefer to buy a CD) but I was never a huge fan of Simon's solo work other than most of the hits. Ever the one lagging behind on technology, I did not start downloading individual songs for a long time. I did ens up getting Nogotiations And Love Songs but again, not everything from that Greatest Hits was there. Another thing that really gets me fired up is the re-recordings. And that applies to ALL albums, not just hits and best of's. This is particular problem with 50's and early 60's music. It is a problem with music that came out of the AM stations (many from the early 70's) and many one hit wonders as well. Also don't throw in live versions. If I want a live version then I'll get a live album.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 8:26:08 AM PST
J. Coco says:
The Foo Fighters' greatest hits cd doesn't include "I'll Stick Around".

Posted on May 14, 2012 1:26:23 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I really like "Crazy Circles" and I seem to remember it getting at least some airplay. That album really had a few songs with airplay. Live for the Music was probably not a hit, but it was often song used to open shows in my opinion belonged on the Anthology more than a few they did include. It may have come down to tough choices but Electric Land and Live for the Music or Crazy Circles should have been included instead of the two songs from Rough Diamonds that were included.

I believe Electric Land is on the 10 from six greatest hits album but not the Anothology.

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:36:18 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
@zlh67, yeah, it was over a year ago I was working graveyard, and I heard "Crazy Circles" on the radio one night. The words seemed to strike some chord. So I came home and googled it because I didn't even know who did that song.

I've looked over Bad Co.'s albums but can't seem to decide which, if any, I want. "Crazy Circles" is on my digital download singles list, that I plan to get to Someday! There's a few other songs I would really like too, like "Burning Sky".

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:30:46 PM PDT
The Kinks RCA label released a compilation of their years with the label called 'Celluloid Heroes' .
Curiously, it omitted 'Supersonic Rocket Ship', perhaps their biggest hit with the label.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 8:23:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 8:25:55 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Alysha -- I don't think "Crazy Circles" was a single or got a lot of airplay, so you'll almost certainly have to buy Desolation Angels to get that one, but a pretty good Bad Co compilation is the 2-cd "Original Bad Company Anthology". Pretty good sampling of all of their albums + a few unreleased cuts and 4 new ones as well. Even that though missed 2 songs that imo they should have found a way to include ("Gone, Gone, Gone" and "Electricland", both of which received substantial airplay when released and still do).

p.s. Oh, and just saw Working Man's post about "Live for the Music" being omitted too. That's never been a huge favorite of mine but is popular with their fans in general, so yeah: should have been included!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 6:15:56 PM PDT
The first Lynyrd Skynyrd greatest hits comp was "Gold & Platinum" released in 1979. It had Simple Man.

Posted on May 13, 2012 5:05:41 PM PDT
Chazzzbo says:
SoF -

I think it's because they know if they created such a disc - no one would ever buy any of their catalog albums ever again.

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:21:45 AM PDT
It just occured to me: never been able to find a hits comp on AC/DC. They strike me as a singles band with filler.

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:04:05 AM PDT
Ian and Sylvia did two albums on Columbia, after a string of albums on Vanguard. They weren't their best material by a long shot. After they were dropped by the label, Columbia released a two-LP set, "The Best of Ian and Sylvia", which was nothing more than those two albums put together with a new cover! Not one of their actual hits was on it. Errant fraud.

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:03:14 PM PDT
Working Man says:
My theory on Greatest Hits and Best of albums missing some obvious choices might be because they want to leave you 'wanting more'. I think that some times it's a tough choice and they just cannot fit everything on and sometimes they leave them of on purpose so you have to buy the actual record or another version of the greatest hits or anthology.

The first omission that came to mind was "Live for the Music" being left of the "Original Bad Company Anthology".

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:15:52 PM PDT
There is a terrific, European import, 2 CD set entitled 'George Harrison Greatest Hits' on the Parlophone label that was distributed for the Russian market and is available here for sale on Amazon. It has just about every solo George Harrison song you would want, except that it mysteriously omits "Isn't It a Pity ?".

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 8:11:02 PM PDT
Oh, man, the worst was Dot Records. Andrews Sisters GREATEST HITS album had Billy Vaughn's orchestra trying to 1960-Pat-Boone the backing of their old Decca hits. Dual wailing alto saxes: Pew!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 7:46:34 PM PDT
you can find " In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida " as a stand alone album with the single and the long version with the live version all three on one cd.

Larry

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:40:09 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> My pet peeve are re-records of hits, and not labeled as such. A lot of '50s and '60s artists jumped labels and made retreads as best-ofs and hits comps of not hit tracks.

There's a reason for that. Record companies own masters; they don't own sync rights or publishing unless the artist was really stupid or badly represented at the signing. When artists jump labels, they re-record their famous songs to try to get some revenue, since only the songwriters would have to be paid; a new master is generated that (usually) has nothing to do with their old labels.

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:14:37 PM PDT
My pet peeve are re-records of hits, and not labeled as such. A lot of '50s and '60s artists jumped labels and made retreads as best-ofs and hits comps of not hit tracks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

ARRAY(0xd88efc40)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions