Customer Discussions > Music forum

Robin Gibb 1949 - 2012 R.I.P.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 236 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2012 4:34:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 11:14:29 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Sad news. Robin Gibb passed away earlier today. Even though not unexpected, still sad. Many of us had hope he would somehow pull through.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-04-14/robin-gibb-obit/55097560/1

Posted on May 20, 2012 4:40:27 PM PDT
Blue Jay Way says:
I just can't believe it. First Donna, now Robin in a few short days apart. I feel real sad as the Bee Gees were and always will be my favorite group of all time. Thanks Robin for all the great music and wonderful memories. Your music helped me alot in my darkest hour. I will really miss you. Send my best to brothers Andy and Maurice. May your soul rest in peace.

Posted on May 20, 2012 4:48:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 4:49:23 PM PDT
Hinch says:
The BeeGees were one of my all-time favorite bands. I own all their albums. I own a couple of solo Robin albums. I saw them 3 times in the 70s. I have some photos I took of them around 1973 from right in front of the stage. Barry reached down and shook my hand.

Robin was a great singer, with one of the most unique and recognisable voices in music.

Posted on May 20, 2012 5:33:48 PM PDT
cw says:
More sad news we lost "Duck" Dunn , Chuck Brown , Donna Summer and now Robin Gibb

Posted on May 20, 2012 5:49:55 PM PDT
so sad. one of the greatest voices are now in heaven. thank you robin for all the great musical moments you gave me...and the world. R.I.P.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:11:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 6:12:35 PM PDT
dallas says:
Hinch
RIP Robin Gibb.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:19:55 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Dallas

Many of our favorites we grew up listening to are leaving us now.

Posted on May 20, 2012 6:23:14 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
RIP Robin. :(

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:33:42 PM PDT
dallas says:
Hinch
You are so right about alot of our favorites are leaving us now from Rock&Roll to Country how sad just to think of it but we still have their music to listen to.

Posted on May 20, 2012 6:55:08 PM PDT
Sodenfir says:
RIP Robin. I couldn't really tell you apart from your brothers and didn't know who was singing what on The Bee Gee's albums, but thanx for the music. It was fun.

Posted on May 20, 2012 7:06:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 7:08:52 PM PDT
MJEH says:
Thanks for the music Robin. Another piece of my childhood is gone. Does anyone else remember 1978's "Sesame Street Fever", on which Robin sang the title song?

This event made me think about all the great music entertainers we've lost since 2009 (Michael Jackson), which seems so recent:

2009:

Koko Taylor
Michael Jackson
Les Paul
Erich Kunzel
Al Martino
Vic Mizzy - Many movie scores and TV themes

2010:

Teddy Pendergrass
Lena Horne

2011:

John Barry
Clarence Clemons
Amy Winehouse
Heavy D (Dwight Myers)

2012:

Johnny Otis
Etta James
Whitney Houston
Davy Jones
Adam Yauch
Donna Summer
Robin Gibb

Posted on May 21, 2012 5:01:26 AM PDT
A lot of musicians we grew up listening to are going to die in the next few years, it's inevitable.

Posted on May 21, 2012 5:10:40 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Even though it was expected...very upset over Robin Gibb's death...I happened to love all the incarnations of the Bee Gees...The few time I saw them live, man he was something, people in the audience would cheer just from his singing...co-wrote some of the greatest and most memorable music ever...very sad...3 brothers died quite young!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:43:36 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
W, David English...So true, so sad!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:46:29 AM PDT
Tonè says:
I was listening to a playlist in my car today, and I realized, I was listening to several consecutive songs made by now-dead singers....depressing......

Posted on May 21, 2012 5:53:12 AM PDT
RIP Robin Gibb :(

Posted on May 21, 2012 6:41:26 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
Be at Peace Robin and thanks for all you shared with us both musically and personally over the many years with your songs. I've said it before and will do so again, you and The Bee Gees were prime movers musically for many years and not just in the "disco" era. Your songs inspired several millions of people around the world and for that I say again, Thanks!

Posted on May 21, 2012 7:01:49 AM PDT
Robin's passing is truly a "tragedy." The Gibbs were one-of-a-kind. Robin will be missed. So sad.

R.I.P. ROBIN

Posted on May 21, 2012 7:14:42 AM PDT
Blue Jay Way says:
I hope now that the Bee Gees finally get the respect they deserve. They were much more than a group who sang disco. They were a complete package. They were composers, musicians, singers,arrangers,producer etc. It incredible how creative they were and how much they accomplished in those days.

Posted on May 21, 2012 7:35:54 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
IF he decided to quit after their (BG's) 1st lp his legend was completely secure.
He had one of the most distinct tenors in rock & was a superstar from down under before the rest of the world knew him.

RIP Mr Robin Gibb.

Posted on May 21, 2012 9:45:25 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Add Doug Dillard to the list. Different genre from Robin, but an innovative banjo player who was a pioneer in country rock.

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:20:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 10:25:33 PM PDT
Hinch says:
>prime movers musically for many years and not just in the "disco" era<

Very true! Im so tired of hearing "BeeGees, the 70s disco band". Every news broadcast Ive heard and many stories I've read since Robin's death have called them a disco band. They were not a disco band. The 1977 SNF soundtrack was only a small part of their career. They were very much more than a disco band, but the media continues to put them in that catagory as if that was all they did.

They were performing on tv in 1960. They had their first record contract in Australia in 1963 and released 12 singles and two albums in before signing a major contract and had their first worldwide hits 1n 1967. They released 14 studio albums before SNF, and 8 studio album's after.

I saw them 3 times in the 70s. Not only were they great singers/songwriters, they were great entertainers. They always seemed down to earth and like ordinary people in their concerts.

Besides writng all their song, after their initial career in Australia, they also wrote and produced songs for other artists, many of which were hits, and also performed on quite a few of those recordings.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 10:35:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 11:08:30 PM PDT
Hello Hinch. You bring up a great point about the Gibbs composing material for other artists. What would pop music in the '70s have been without the Bee Gees? On radio then (and now), their work could be heard performed by artists including brother Andy Gibb, Frankie Valli ("Grease"), Yvonne Elliman ("If I Can't Have You"), Samantha Sang ("Emotion"), Dionne Warwick ("Heartbreaker"), Barbra Streisand ("Woman in Love" and "Guilty"), as well as the 1983 country hit "Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. The Gibbs were so incredibly prolific. As songwriters, following Lennon/McCartney, the Bee Gees were second-to-none. They still are to this day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 10:35:59 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:39:55 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
Truly the best and the real fab four.
Andy, Marice, Robin, and Barry. The best band of the 60's and 70's. (Besides of course The beach Boys.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  236
Initial post:  May 20, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions