Customer Discussions > Music forum

Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put A Spell On You" still scares at Halloween

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2011 5:39:59 AM PDT
James Riley says:
Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put A Spell On You" a good fit for Halloween today. See Hawkins perform this live along with covers by CCR (live at Woodstock) and The Kills here...http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2011/10/screamin-jay-hawkins-i-put-spell-on-you.html

I Put A Spell On You & Other Favorites (Digitally Remastered)

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 4:35:59 PM PDT
Screamin' Jay did a song, "Constipation Blues". Only song I know of dealing with the subject. His version features lots of grunting. i just got a 2-CD set of his hits and what have you. "I Love Paris" is amazing. For the first thirty seconds, it sounds like the gooiest muzak....then Jay comes in.

The set also contains "Ole Man River", sung straight. Hawkins was tired of the wild-man cannibal image (the one he'd cultivated for years) and wanted to be regarded as a real singer, like Paul Robeson. This is roughly equivalent to the guy who did "The Monster Mash" deciding he wanted to do the Andy Williams songbook. Didn't take. No, Jay will be remembered for "I Put a Spell On You". That's a fine legacy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 9:11:27 PM PDT
Zefuyn says:
He's a legend. Whistlin Past the Graveyard is another favourite.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 9:35:03 PM PDT
"I Put A Spell On You" was used to great effect in the movie "Stranger Than Paradise".

Classic line: "It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's a wild man, so bug off!"

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 10:02:55 PM PDT
M. SMITH says:
I just heard the song on our local blues radio show Sat night. Man I had never heard it!! Awesome!!!! Spooky!!!!

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 10:15:25 PM PDT
Forever, just a cool song and incredible, interesting performer and artist.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Musicians whose whole was more than a sum of their parts 34 2 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 739 5 minutes ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 408 5 minutes ago
Roger Waters says "I was wrong" regarding Pink Floyd legal battles and says he will record a new solo album. 215 15 minutes ago
1966...The Beatles Revolver. .The Rolling Stones Aftermath...The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. . 16 19 minutes ago
Bulletin Board ---- What's in the news? 60 20 minutes ago
2 Live Crew: The Art Of Being Crude, But I Love It. 11 33 minutes ago
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction vs. Tesla - Mechanical Resonance 6 46 minutes ago
An October 1979 matchup: "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac or "Regatta De Blanc" by The Police 21 1 hour ago
A March 1973 matchup: "Houses Of The Holy" by Led Zeppelin or "Dark Side Of The Moon" by Pink Floyd 48 1 hour ago
1966...The Beatles Revolver. .The Rolling Stones Aftermath...The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. . 3 1 hour ago
What is your favorite best recorded Commercially bought cd. The best sounding remastered cd you ever bought. 38 2 hours ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions