Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Customer Discussions > Music forum

What comes after downloaded music?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2012 2:11:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012 2:12:28 PM PDT
Exile says:
This discussion is inspired by the decline of the CD and rise of downloading as the main source of music purchases.

We've had vinyl, 8 track, cassettes, CDs and downloads...Are downloads finally the end of the ever changing mediums of how we listen to music or is there something that will come after downloading ?

What is the NEXT phase for prerecorded music?

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 6:40:37 PM PDT
Antennae in your head.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 6:52:36 PM PDT
Whatever it is it will be better than download.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 6:55:38 PM PDT
nafroe says:
I think downloads will still be popular... In the future, I hope they make the transition exclusively to high resolution downloadable formats.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 8:46:40 PM PDT
@BFD: you beat me to it! I was going to say a computer chip in the brain.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:02:42 PM PDT
doodah man says:
I concur with BFD (is that, umm, 'intentional' or just a lucky coincidence?) and Topper. Music will become ethereal, DL straight to the brain.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 9:05:48 PM PDT
dj says:
I think nafroe is correct. The technology of the hardware (speakers, headphones, hard drive capacity, etc.) is advancing as well, and it won't be long before people start buying nicer equipment and realize that their lossy downloads sound terrible when played through nicer equipment. Personally, I remember the first time I heard a mp3 (ripped at 192kbps), and I was appalled how "swishy" the cymbals sounded, and of course that tell-tale "snap crackle pop" during the louder sections. So I never fully converted. I ripped to WAV for years, but I discovered the space-saving capacity of variable lossless in FLAC, and haven't turned back. Whether it's a "free" codec like FLAC or a proprietary codec (like AAC lossless), I think online stores like hdtracks.com will rise up (if behemoths like amazon and itunes don't go lossless first), and eventually supplant the lossy downloads.

Delivery speeds aside (faster wi-fi, fiber optic networks, etc.), I think the smartphone will eventually become a dockable PC. The smartphone will have the processing power that a PC of today has, so all one has to do is go home and dock the smartphone and it will serve as a person's go-to for everything electronic in the home. All of a person's music, movies, etc. will be on the smartphone, and that smartphone can send whatever the person wants to the TV - music, movies, video games, video phone calls, etc. All a person needs is a bluetooth keyboard and they can leisurely sit on the couch in front of the TV and do any of these things. The Blu-Ray/DVD player will be gone, the PC will be gone, etc. and all of that functionality will be within the smartphone. That's what I think anyway.

From there, who knows.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:52:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012 8:54:08 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
The government will stick a chip in your head in the middle of the night while you are sleeping and you can hear every note of any song ever written just by thinking about it!

Yes even Tony Orlando and Dawn B-sides!

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 9:34:09 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
My guess is that downloads and instant gratification are the end of the road. For those who insist on a hard format, maybe some sort of pre-loaded chip. Although I doubt that.

My mom was wondering the other day when they were going to come up with a format smaller than the DVD (We moved to DVD from Laserdisc) And I said they probably won't. Most people download and purchase movies/tv on demand. Even the movie industry is moving toward digital downloads.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 9:38:17 AM PDT
dj says:
Savage Lucy, that's what I think too. People will buy the digital rights and then just stream them off a cloud to a smartphone hooked into a display. No more physical media. DRM will become an issue, thoguh.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 11:49:48 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
I am quite upset about this, ....do these record companies want to take the music away from us! I am sure you all like opening the package, reading the liner notes or the words(many of the generations after us don't care at all), that will be all gone...someone in a blog said that pretty soon we will be renting music, this is crazy! If we will have to download than so be it..but renting!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 2:51:42 PM PDT
I think downloading is here to stay but the quality will change over time. As download speeds and hard drives continue to get better and better we will eventually no longer bother compressing music in any form and it will all just be lossless from the studio master.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 3:07:02 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
If the CD actually goes away, so will I. I WILL NOT pay for air!

Posted on May 1, 2012 3:15:44 PM PDT
You said it, MiBoDoCa! I'm right there with you!
Your reply to John C. Harrison's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 1, 2012 6:22:02 PM PDT
dj says:
Folks, the download culture has done at least one good thing for those of us who still like CDs. CDs are now DIRT CHEAP (not to mention lossless). I can get most of the CDs I want on amazon used for $0.01, ($2.99 w/ shipping). This was unheard of 12 years ago when I was in college, when I was dropping a Hamilton for a used CD every time. My collection has grown from about 100 CDs to over 500 in just two year's time, and it's all backed up to FLAC on an internal hard drive. I say bring it on!!!

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:32:53 PM PDT
Music Hound says:
Records :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:20:03 PM PDT
I'm willing to bet that vinyl will last longer than the CD.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 3:49:36 AM PDT
dj says:
I'll take that bet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 12:21:22 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
In all seriousness, the next logical evolution of music purchases is online streaming. It will literally destroy piracy if the music labels have that level of control. It's starting already with Spotify, etc, but as WiFi and 4G devices become more permanently connected, there won't be any incentive for businesses to offer actual ownership of music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 12:35:51 PM PDT
Jerry Hart says:
I agree. I've been downloading a lot but when it comes to Disney and Hollywood records, I'd rather have the physical CD. The downloadable versions always sound terrible for me. Other record labels are fine, it's just the Disney MP3s that are awful. I still can't figure out why.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:36:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 12:37:05 PM PDT
rustic says:
i agree, streaming will catch on to where we are streaming music, movies, video games, and television shows. the problem is there has to be companies that have it all. it's no good to subscribe to a streaming co. if they have limited choices. i personally find now that the cds, dvds, books, and video games i have lying around are a pain. they take up needed space. i recently subscibed to itunes match so i have my whole collection in the cloud. i can take my whole music collection to bed on my iphone (about 500 cds now but still tons more to upload). you can't do that with cds.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:57:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 1:01:41 PM PDT
I'm with Savage Lucy - instant gratification has brought us to the end. Ironically, one the very reasons we were attracted to music, film and the arts (in general) is because it provided us with a sense of mystery and wonderment. Hard to explain, but anything worth waiting for or working for in some capacity is always what we crave most. Nobody cares about something that comes easy or in rapid abundance. That's why people who even have boatloads of cash are never satisfied - they actually have TOO much TOO easy - and are removed from wonderment, scarcity, and the unknown. Emptiness..

Put on some boots and walk through a snow storm to pick up that album that you've been waiting 6 months for...guarantee it will be special in a way that a chip in your head will never be.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 1:00:40 PM PDT
I'm of the generation that I just don't care about packaging at all. I want the music and everything else is just not needed to me. I spend most my money on Vinyl and that usually comes with a free download that tends to be high quality mp3 so that I can still put something on my ipod. I also spend a lot trying to go to live shows as I'd rather go see shows than spend money on CDs when I could just download them via bittorrent.

Posted on May 2, 2012 1:01:32 PM PDT
I want my MTV!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 1:03:56 PM PDT
mac says:
Hi djdjdjdjdjdj9 - Just wanted to throw in here regarding "lossless". The biggest problem with CDs is the 16bit 44.1K standard. That's why vinyl folks gripe about the quality of CDs. CDs are manufactured at a lower resolution than they were recorded and therefore are "lossy". When we can get 24bit 96K files, then we will be at an agreeable standard for audiophile snobs such as I.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2012
Latest post:  May 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions