Customer Discussions > Music forum

Tiny Lemon or The Beatles?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2012 9:45:30 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:10:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 3:00:40 PM PDT
Hinch says:
With this style of music it's really hard to judge from the samples, but I can't say it sounds bad.

Being that it sounds nothing like The Beatles, I realize you probably used The Beatles just to attract people to this thread.

Warning: It's not a good idea to start out by comparing yourself to The Beatles. It's been the downfall of many.

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:57:28 PM PDT
I'd take Blind Melon Chitlin over Tiny Lemon.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 3:08:16 PM PDT
Tiny Tim

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:23:19 AM PDT
Well, that's good. I really love you for liking it. Okay, it's a little bit of advertising with comparing it to the Beatles, but why shouldn't I try it? I can only sleep better if every human on earth has told me if he likes it or not. Love now, love tomorrow.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 7:04:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 7:06:28 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Bastian Unger:

Well, I don't know who YOU are (maybe Tiny Lemon) or Tiny Lemon is but this was a gas, at least the clips were....

What I like about it is it brings up the entire notion of defining "good music". What rules should it follow? Free jazz and experimental rock and avant garde-ism and modern classical music has gone thru this all of the time. That ain't music, it's noise. It's a joke.

To me, there is a sameness in the work of Tiny Lemon or Captain Beefheart or Animal Collective and the work of The Shaggs. The difference is, I'm assuming the first three intended to make an artistic statement, as off center as it is, while the Shaggs made their "statement" thru their own incompetence and lack of traditional musical skill. Both, to me anyway, have a place in my collection.

I'm not sure I'm ready to grab a copy of Tiny's album yet but I probably will eventually. Those rhythms and his voice, seemingly performing two different songs, have entered my psyche and won't go away. (Then again, so did the "don't squeeze the Charmin" commercial I heard 20 years ago...)

I liked it. Even if Tiny meant it as a hoax, it is a good sounding hoax. At least as good as my copy of Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits.

ed.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:16:47 AM PDT
@E. Dill

Yeah, that's what I can say: I am Tiny Lemon. For you it must sound great that Bastian Unger is Tiny Lemon but I've got different musical projects because I've got so much to say to you and the whole world.

Basti

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:42:42 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Bastian Unger:

Just for clarification purposes, I meant it when I said I truly enjoyed the clips and the youtube. Will be keeping my eyes and ears open for you and Tiny....

ed.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:24:15 AM PDT
@E. Dill

When I said I meant I won't sell my heart to you, but it feels just so good when someone says things like you.

Shortly after I started with Tiny Lemon I just heard things like:

"You will never be successful. Why do you upload that videos? We don't like it."

So it's marmelade in my ears what you said.

@Everybody

Now you will understand my defensive way of posting.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:47:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 10:49:30 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Bastian Unger:

Without trying to sound at all knowledgable of the recording industry, I thought I'd throw this page out of record labels who specialize in experimental music. You probably have already decided how to proceed with your music but I thought it couldn't hurt to know more about who is working in music that is off center a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Experimental_music_record_labels

ed.

ps. Maybe the list includes some labels that have folded up shop, like the great Ralph Records who used to be the Residents label. I personally like Kranky, who seem to specialize in some great instrumental bands....

Wait! Where is one of my favorites, Arf Arf Records?

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:17:21 AM PDT
I will browse all that record labels to see who works with the same style like me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 12:13:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 12:14:51 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Listening to constructive criticizm can be helpful, but comments like ""You will never be successful" ISNT helpful and isnt meant to be.

The best thing is to do what pleases you. People are either going to like it or not. Some are not going to like anything different or new to their ears.

Good luck! Like I said before, the samples are not really long enough for me to give a good judgment, but they dont sound bad. I'll check out the videos Mr Dill mentioned.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 6:45:51 AM PDT
It's not easy for a young artist to get bad criticizm. But anyone who posted in this thread has really been honest. I hope you enjoy a good start into the new week.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 8:06:18 AM PDT
I will try to sell some copies this year.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 12:38:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 12:40:15 PM PDT
doodah man says:
Hinch says:
"Some are not going to like anything different or new to their ears."

Thing is, after the first song, the STYLE is very repetitive. Techno pop background with spoken word. Techno pop background with spoken word. Techno pop background with spoken word.

If u could somehow mix it up... can you sing at all, carry a tune? The words are fairly indecipherable, I got " let the sugarbeats run". Sorry, somewhat less than prolific. Did u just wake up each morning and mumble into the mic and add background later in the day?

Am I missing something?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 3:48:10 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I also said the samples were too short for me to judge. Based on the music only, it didnt sound bad but this style is hard to judge from short clips. I havent heard enough to judge it on lyrical content or repeditiveness. Perhaps you have. If the music sounds good I can overlook abstract lyrics. I also find nothing wrong with spoken word. I havent had a chance to look at the videos. I still say some will reject anything new or different. That wasnt and isnt pointed at anyone in particular.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 10:38:22 AM PDT
Yeah, that's alright. I mix it in the morning and add the beat a few hours later. But why not? I got my copy and I can't say I never listen to it. You will agree with me after you grabbed your copy. It's not the best quality but it's music you can like.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:50:47 AM PDT
In the product review someone asked me if it is a practice session. You can be sure it is, and I hope you will buy all the following Tiny Lemon albums which will be much better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 6:55:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 6:57:55 AM PDT
$13.77 for a CD-R of somebody practicing, that's some mighty big balls!

If you're serious about getting heard you should price this at something like $2.99.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:59:02 AM PDT
Well, I needed to write the songs, I needed to create the beats and I designed the album cover. I think I won't sell a million copies so the work will be good when I sell some few copies.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:45:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 9:46:13 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
"Squeeze my lemon let the juice run down my leg!"

Here come the NO votes...

"I Should Have Known Better!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 11:18:48 AM PDT
You've got nothing from a Tiny Lemon. Hope you treat the lemons better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 11:19:27 AM PDT
I think it sounds better on CD.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 7:45:33 PM PDT
Music Luver says:
I think this dude is playing y'all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 2:46:33 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Music Luver:

<<I think this dude is playing y'all>>

That's what some mightly powerful musicians said when they first heard Ornette Coleman play live in NYC....

Frankly, I don't give a damn. If I like a painting and find out it was hung upside down (by accident or on purpose) or painted by a chimp, it doesn't change my reaction to it one iota. I don't care about the artist's intent. I only care about my reaction.

ed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions