Customer Discussions > Music forum

Stevie Wonder: Music Of My Mind

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2012 10:38:02 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
Wanted to give some proper respect to this album that was released 40 years ago this month. This is the ablum many consider to be the beginning of his "classical period" back in the 1970's.

This is one of my all time favorites and was a showcase of the things to come in very short order.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:34:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 11:56:50 AM PDT
R. Riis says:
Great album. A major step in his astonishing development from "Signed, Sealed..." & "Where I'm Coming From" to the even greater albums to follow. "Keep on Running", "Evil", "Superwoman"... all prime Stevie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 11:39:33 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
@R.Riis - I agree, his development was truly astonishing and later that same year he would release "Talking Book" which is one of the most incredible albums I've ever heard. He was truly free to express himself totally for the first time during this period.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:13:46 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
@M.Jones,
This was BY FAR my favourite Stevie Wonder album, followed closely by Innervisions (almost too close to call). I regard it as his greatest musical statement. Proper respects paid...

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:26:28 PM PDT
A truly gutsy move. A record made without a contract and with Stevie's own money to prove he did not need other musicians or producers to make a great album - he already knew how to do it and did not need any record company telling him otherwise. Just the opening 1-2 of Love Having You Around and Superwoman was enough to make this one a classic. And things only got better from there (at least until The Woman in Red).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:40:58 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
@onsenkuma - This is a true gem indeed! I've always loved everything about this album and what it represented for Stevie as a personal statement about where he felt his career should be headed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:42:12 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
@BrownFFIngersDavis - And that's the point I think many don't get, he had the guts to stand up to one of the most powerful record companies in existence as a 20-21 year old and tell them, this is the way I'm going to do things, take it or leave it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:07:35 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
@BrownFingersDavis,
Great points. This album, along with Marvin's 'What's Going On', Curtis Mayfield's self-titled solo and Gil Scott-Heron's 'Pieces of a Man' all seemed to come along in quick succession, and all had that fierce independent spirit about them. The first few years of the '70s were a real high point for R&B. A lot of great, great music...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:15:59 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
@onsenkuma - it's funny you mention this, i was talking with someone about this very thing not too long ago. all of the artists and albums you mentioned did come one right ofter the other and R&B was never the same after.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:19:29 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
@M.Jones,
To me it's really kind of interesting how so much the music of that time was taking on a more 'mature' sound. There was plenty of good 'ol hedonism of course, in R&B and in rock, but a lot of artists were not only dealing with heavier topics lyrically, but adding more sophisticated jazz and orchestral textures to their music. I really thought Marvin Gaye should have got more credit for the 'Trouble Man' soundtrack than he did - it was pretty cool stuff. And I really the Curtis' 'Superfly' and Isaac Hayes 'Shaft' soundtracks as well. Somebody should have roped in Stevie Wonder to try his hand at that kind of thing while his muse was still hot!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:03:59 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
@onsenkuma - I agree and you're right, a lot of people I've spoken to where not even aware that Marvin had done a film score. It was very cool and Isaac and Curtis I think truly revolutionized how soundtracks were put together within the overall context of a film. And it truly is scary to think what Stevie could have come up with had he gotten involved in that kind of thing!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:33:03 PM PDT
I think "Music Of My Mind" is as good as the four albums that followed it, bar perhaps "Innervisions". A five-star classic. The do-it-yourself feel is one of the great things about it. Here was a man who poured his entire heart and soul into creating an album that was 100% his own, and was rewarded both artistically and commercially from that point on. A fairy tale come true. How many other 21-year olds can come up with an album like that?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:27:24 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
@Michael Topper - Great points and I agree, I enjoy this album every bit as much as those that followed. I've read accounts were he would sleep in the studio overnight and lose weight cause of how focused he was during recording sessions for an album.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 8:20:05 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
I really love "Sweet Little Girl" sounds like he was having a fun recording that one.

Posted on May 1, 2012 12:25:30 AM PDT
Such a great record. Stevie released a string of classics. This one is just amazing. One of my favorites. Stevie rocks....

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:42:04 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
@Anthony Fernandez - I agree and to think he was just 21 years old when he recorded it. Simply outstanding!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  May 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions