Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rock albums yet to be released this year, that you are looking forward to...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2012 3:45:36 PM PDT
I'm talking about albums that have officially been announced (by the band/artist) as coming out this year

I'm looking forward to new albums by:

Green Day (actually I think they are supposed to be releasing 2 albums at the end of 2012, and 1 at the beginning of 2013)
Matchbox Twenty
The Wallflowers
Soul Asylum

Also, 2 albums that are set to be released tomorrow:

L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version)
Chris Robinson Brotherhood

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 3:49:23 PM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Primal Scream, a Scottish band, who mix punk, the stones & The prodigy to produce quite eclectic albums, as you can probably imagine!

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 3:52:12 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
For me, there are 2:

Rush's "Clockwork Angels" drops next week, and

LIVING COLOUR have pledged to have an album out this year, though there's no release date and I've certainly heard THAT one before (they've only put out 2 albums since re-uniting in 2001).

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 4:30:55 PM PDT
Working Man says:
1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. ZZ Top - untitled (I believe four songs will be digitally released this week)
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd - yes, I still like them. I admit it's not the same band without Ronnie and Steve Gaines but I still enjoy their new music.

Others that are in the works and may or may not be this year include Black Sabbath and Aerosmith. Also, Deep Purple has one in the works for 2013.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 4:34:35 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Also, I forgot to mention the Free 18 disc box set. I don't know if it will be this year or not but the band is in discussion and selecting music which will include all original studio albums plus live an unreleased songs. I don't know what's left after the release of the original studio albums and Free Live plus the Songs of Yesterday box and the BBC set which had one disc with really poor quality. In any case I need to at least check it out to see if it's going to be worth the bug $ an 18 disc set would probably set me back.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:10:30 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I just got the new Joe Bonamassa disc and listened to it from start to finish and it sounded great. He's so underappreciated.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:20:16 PM PDT
Doctor Occh says:
Beach Boys, Cribs, Strokes, and whatever band Jack White decides to start in the next few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 8:20:53 PM PDT
Working Man, I will 2nd that about Joe. I love his work with Black Country Communion as well...

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 9:05:02 PM PDT
That's Why God Made the Radio - The Beach Boys
(to be released 06/05/12)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 9:37:50 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
That one is on the Spinner Listening Party this week. :)

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/4

Also looking forward to:
-- The dB's, 'Falling Off the Sky' (I actually got to stream this one a week early, thanks to KDHX.org -- I will definitely be getting this on CD!), 6/15
-- Gold Motel, s/t (I saw these guys open for They Might Be Giants last November), 7/3
-- The Gaslight Anthem, 'Handwritten', 7/24

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 5:02:59 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Heart's box set "Strange Euphoria" (released 6/5/12)
Fanatic - Heart (to be released in October 2012)
Americana - Neil Young (released 6/5/12)

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 6:39:38 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
This week in the mail:
NEIL-Americana
JOE WALSH-Analog Man

Next week in the mail:
RUSH
GRACE POTTER

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:19:54 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Viva -- you should really check out ALABAMA SHAKES. I love Grace Potter, but she only wishes her band sounded like ALABAMA SHAKES. And the singer for the Shakes? Puts Grace to shame. Seriously. At least in the vocal dept. She's no looker like Grace though.

Here's an idea: LISTEN to the Shakes while looking at pictures of Grace. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 11:44:52 AM PDT
Gena,
I saw the dB's many times back in the day. While I was skeptical about this new release at first, the stream absolutely blows me away. An all-time great band who should have been stars.

My list:
The dB's - Falling Off the Sky
Alejandro Escovedo - Big Station (just released)
The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
Redd Kross - Researching the Blues
Chris Richards & the Subtractions - Get Yer La La's Out
Shoes - Ignition

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 8:24:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012 8:26:15 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I forgot to mention a little known band named Saint Jude. Seeing the Grace Potter post reminded me of Saint Jude. I have heard Alabama Shakes too and right now of the three I would go with Saint Jude, they are rougher and grittier and their singer is also not bad in the looks department. The album "Diary of a Soul Friend" is great and they are working on their second album now.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 12:10:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 12:11:06 AM PDT
tokolosi says:
Tony Iommi is working on a new album. Supposedly with Geezer Butler and possibly Ozzy Osbourne. Not sure if Bill Ward will be on it though.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:07:31 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
zlh...Working Man
I'll give those a whirl!!!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:15:13 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Sounds like I've got a new band to look into as well (St Jude). I love the Shakes, but if St Jude is in the ballpark but a little grittier, I can probably hang with that too...

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 2:03:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 2:05:53 PM PDT
Micaloneus says:
ASIA - Xxx

Rush - Clockwork Angels

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 2:06:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 2:09:24 PM PDT
Micaloneus says:
> Joe Bonamassa so underappreciated

If Joe's under appreciated, it's not because he's underrated. I see his face/articles/adds everywhere. LOL

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:12:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 8:14:45 PM PDT
Working Man says:
If you want to check out Saint Jude, here's their official promo of "Soul on Fire". I've heard them described as "the Stones with Maggie Bell" on vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64RGr8twaQ

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:35:24 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I think he's underappreciated in the fact that he doesn't get the attention of say John Mayer. I think that is actually good because how many times does commercial success actually ruin a band or artist. Maybe not ruin them but if I think of some of my favorite artists, often their most commercially successful album is my least favorite album from them or at least not one of my favorites.

So far, I am loving Bonamassa's latest and yes, I really like Black Country Communion too and his album with Beth Hart is terrific as well. His face if all over the place because he's put out so much music lately. He's a tireless worker.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:40:15 PM PDT
Brian says:
I didn't know that the Wallflowers were working on a new album-- I'll have to check that out!

In late July Blur is going to be rereleasing their catalogue on 180 gram vinyl.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 11:33:16 PM PDT
K. Neubauer says:
the beach boys ! "thats why god made the radio" & smile!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 4:37:03 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Thanks, Working Man! I think I still prefer the sound of the Shakes as I find their vocals and songwriting more interesting and I like their infusion of soul/r&b into their bluesy sound, but Saint Jude does have a solid retro-rock sound of their own too.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions