Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Music forum

What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest).

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3176-3200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 8:34:49 PM PDT
Val H. says:
Bonnie
Puccini: Madama Butterfly / Leinsdorf, Moffo, Valletti, Elias is playing as I write. Moffo is superb as always but you are spot on with Valletti. He is perfect for the role - the insouciance and thoughtlessness of youth. He is the kind of tenor I most enjoy - with plenty of light and shade. In the first act, his charm, gaiety and carelessness are spilling out of his voice. I can't find any mention that he actually performed the role on stage but I'm sure he would have been excellent. I think I am now going to have to buy his recording of La Traviata with Maria Callas as I'm sure he will be a perfect Alfredo. Thank you again for leading me to this lovely tenor who was hitherto unknown to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 8:35:40 PM PDT
There are many used stores popping up around the city I live. You may have to accept some snaps and pops if you go that route. Many of these stores here will let you listen to it before you buy, which is good. Also try oldies.com, stuff is cheaper there. Amazon has a great return policy, but, you will pay more for some things there. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:21:23 PM PDT
Thanks for the reccomendations, man! I really wish there were more record stores where I live. The best I've got is F.Y.E. and, while they have a great selection, they are ridiculously overpriced. Thanks again!

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 9:31:41 PM PDT
Dan Kibler - self-titled (new in 2012)
Brian Setzer - The Knife Feels Like Justice/Live Nude Guitars, 2-for-1 CD
Husker Du - Do You Remember? (promo CD)
Steve Almaas - Trailer Songs (new in 2012)
The Czars - Goodbye

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:34:16 PM PDT
My pleasure. I have bought a bunch of albums lately. Enjoying the rich full 3D sound that I had missed for so many years before LP's started making a comeback!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 4:35:37 AM PDT
Geezerguy says:
Joe Walsh - Analog Man
Egg - Civil Surface
Joan Armatrading - Walk Under Ladders
New Grass Revival - Live
John Sebastian - Faithful Virtue: The Reprise Recordings
Steve Forbert - Evergreen Boy

A couple of these were bought at the same time. Hence, six entries.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:54:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 10, 2012 9:00:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 9:00:49 AM PDT
D. Theater says:
Riverside - Memories In My Head
Jorn - Bring Heavy Rock To The Land
Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
OSI - Fire Make Thunder
Kill Devil Hill - Kill Devil Hill

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 1:34:15 PM PDT
L. A. White says:
Dr John- Locked Down
Konshens - Mental Maintenance
Busy Signal - Reggae Music Again
Nneka - Soul Is Heavy
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 1:57:26 PM PDT
Beach Boys-Pets Sounds
The Beatles -Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Meditation: Classical Relaxation
Stevie Wonder-Songs In The Key Of Life
Santana-Ultimate Santana

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 1:54:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 2:08:29 AM PDT
J. Hand says:
RE LPs- where to buy them. lotsa good stuff on eBay for cheap. Check the seller's feedback rating both for happy customers and number of sales. When you find a few that you deal with that did you right, remember them because you will likely continue to get good product and service from them. Buy quantity and negotiate combined shipping.

If all else fails, use the "shopping" feature of Google or any browser that has a feature. Sort by price.

Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other such charitable organizations that have store fronts are great sources as well. Often people will 'inherit' entire collections of LPs they are unsure what to do with so they donate them all. Watch local want ads. (I found a guy once who was actually selling pallets of records with 500 or so LPs per skid priced at between $20 to $30 per skid.

Price shop! If you encounter any supposed 'rare', original release, or out of print copies make sure you know what you are getting. Many LPs have had multiple re-releases. The Internet and music forums can help you figure out what's what there. People often have things they believe are rare and valuable and they are neither. Usually, they just don't know and many think old = rare = valuable. There ARE definitely valuable records from true rare releases to audiophile recordings. No need to break the bank if you are interested in the music more than a particular release or issue of a record.

On the equipment side, I recommend a tube buffer type device to add to the output of a CD player. These connect by plugging the CD unit into them and then connecting the output to where the CD player plugged in on your pre-amp/amp/receiver. These devices don't add and gain or volume to the signal but simply process the signal through vacuum tubes 'warming' up the sound. You won't mistake it for an LP but it does make the CD sound better. Also, if you do shop for tube gear (Class A or Class A-B), don't get too hung up and what appear to be low power output of those beasts. Class A is the least efficient way to reproduce a signal meaning lots of power is needed to amplify a signal and a lot of power goes to heat. Tubes require warm up times to get to correct operating temperature, especially the 'good stuff'. Bear in mind there is a certain almost ritual involved with using tube gear. The stuff emits heat. It can be finicky and costly to repair. However, there are a lot of solid state/tube hybrids. A place I recommend for window shopping and pricing is audioadvisor.com to get an idea of what's out there and how much you can spend. Always price shop anything that catches your fancy.

As word of caution: Beware all the snake oil and miracle gizmos that populate the world of high-end audio along with some insane prices on cords and cables. There are those who will defend the purchase of a $1500.00 1 meter patch cord and their $30 a foot 'directional' speaker wire with a passion usually reserved for defending one's family honor. Use common sense.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 5:04:24 AM PDT
40 miler - tim barry
Greatest hits - mc lars
Camp - childish gambino
Maybe ill catch fire - alkaline trio
The nightwatchman - I bought mp3 of his entire catalog

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:27:31 AM PDT
TC says:
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Frankie Rose - Interstellar
Beach Boys - That's Why God Made The Radio
Sara Bareilles - Once Upon Another Time EP
Sigur Ros - Valtari

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:29:41 AM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Rush, 'The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits, 1974-1987'
Terri Clark, 'Roots & Wings'
Mary Chapin Carpenter, 'Ashes and Roses'
The dB's, 'Falling Off the Sky'
The Beach Boys, 'That's Why God Made the Radio'

And for my mother:
Alan Jackson, 'Thirty Miles West' (bought at the same time as the Beach Boys disc)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 2:13:36 PM PDT
Billy Woods: History Will Absolve Me
El-P: Cancer 4 Cure
With Open Arms: We've Come A Long Way
Volbeat: Guitar Gsngsters and Cadillac Blood
Drugmoney: MTN CTY JNK

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 2:30:58 PM PDT
J. Middour says:
Jana Kramer, (self-titled)
Turnpike Troubadours, Goodbye Normal Street
Candlebox, Love Stories and Other Musings
JB and the Moonshine Band, Beer for Breakfast
Josh Turner, Punching Bag

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 4:23:38 PM PDT
blackheart says:
1 rage against the machine 2 jimi hendrix/ valleys of neptune 3 white stripes /elephant 4 thin lizzy /icon 5 brutal truth/ end time

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:31:18 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Mystery To Me-Fleetwood Mac
Bryter Later-Nick Drake
Pink Moon-Nick Drake
Five Leaves Left-Nick Drake
Complete Studio Recordings-Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald
Triple Feature (Eddie Money, Life For The Taking, No Control)-Eddie Money (Brand new for $7.26+shipping)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:35:12 PM PDT
cattle decapitation- monolith of inhumanity
3 inches of blood-long live heavy metal
volbeat-above heaven beyond hell
goatwhore-blood for the master
the black dahlia murder-ritual

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:11:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 5:20:16 PM PDT
Hammerwood says:
Big Big Train - The underfall yard
Riverside - Out of Myself
Steamhammer - Mountains
Led Zepellin - BBC sessions...... (having had cd no.2 on hazy bootleg for some years now.)
If - 1.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:14:01 PM PDT
Tissy says:
Beach Boys - Smiley Smile. I actually prefer the version of "Wonderful" on this one to the one on BWPS or SMiLE Sessions. The arrangement really attenuates what actually is a very creepy song.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:59:23 PM PDT
Val H. says:
That's Why God Made the Radio - The Beach Boys
Working Man's Cafe - Ray Davies
Time Life Sounds of the Seventies: AM Pop Classics
This New Morning - Luka Bloom
The Puccini Experience - Angela Gheorghiu/Nina Rautio/Johan Botha/Anthony Michaels-Moore

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:14:29 PM PDT
Procol Harum- LIVE EDMONTON ORCH. (remastered)
The Kinks- FACE TO FACE (deluxe edition)
Steve Hackett- PLEASE DON'T TOUCH (remastered)
Wishbone Ash- WISHBONE ASH
Rush- CLOCKWORK ANGELS

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:50:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 12:02:18 PM PDT
Hammerwood says:
Hello, Valerie. I was fortunate in getting a copy of 'Working Man's cafe' free with a Daily Mail
promotion awhile back. Nice album, enjoy. Happy days to you.
PS. Wishbone Ash are my favourite band of all time. Recently, I had a box of original 'Ash'
vinyls nicked from my flat. I'm not a happy bunny right now!

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:59:18 AM PDT
Robert Kutz says:
Mary Chapin Carpenter Ashes and Roses
Yes Fly from Here
Adele 21
Rolling stones Live from LA 1976 [down load from their web]
Rick Wakeman Journey to the centre of the earth live 1978 from London
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  1635
Total posts:  4982
Initial post:  Mar 29, 2009
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions