Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: #1 of many great bands

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3751-3775 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:53:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 1:56:37 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Ronct:
you are right! his accident was in 1966......unless it was a delayed reaction!
I HAD to share this with you!!! So Funny!!! Bob and Tom Petty on SNL (not the "real" ones, but ...so funny!)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkmw4g_saturday-night-live-dana-carvey-as-bob-dylan_fun
first it's just "Bob" (Dana Carvey)...with the announcer "translating, for those who are "dylan impaired"!!!)..then he is joined by "Tom Petty", with a brief "free fallin'" .....i guess it wasn't just his singing voice that people thought were incomprehensible! btw, it is followed by with other SNL clips.....they are funny too (especially the one with the Queen (Elizabeth! make sure you watch it until the end, when he demonstrates his wrestling skills!! so funny!!!), but not as good as "Bob" and "Tom"!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:42:06 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

Well, in that case then I guess this calls for an appropriate song! :-)

http://youtu.be/xat1GVnl8-k

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:33:51 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

I needed this one! LOL

http://youtu.be/MYPJOCxSUFc

They are very nice lyrics but I never needed to know what they were to enjoy the song, nor do they now change my mind about the song. Like many Beatle songs they seem to be a good weight in contrast to the music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:30:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 1:33:31 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Ronct:
i think the sound he makes is awesome! you say he sounds "like an animal call, during mating season"??? do you really think so? perhaps you have something there! (maybe THAT explains it! do you think??? hey, it worked for Joan (Baez) LOL!!!)
:)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:28:09 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
yes, i know!
(tee hee hee.....!)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:27:51 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

I thought Bob's accident was in the 60's? Did he have another one in the 80's?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:26:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 1:31:14 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence and Ronct:
Lawrence, thanks for the info! I stand corrected!
Ronct, (referring to Lawrence's post) see what can happen when you don't pay attention to the lyrics? You could cause an artist to kill himself! you know how temperamental (extremists) artists are!! LOL!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:23:09 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

Yes, I guess Bob has inspired others who have a limited ability to sing that it can be done. Maybe he inspired rappers? or was that Neil Diamond who also talked through many songs?

Just joking with you! But, seriously except for a few from his early to mid 60's period music I cannot listen to Dylan as his sound pains my ears. The sound he makes is like an animal call during mating season. :-)

He did influence John & Paul to approach writing lyrics differently, and thank God they never weighed their songs down like he did. I do appreciate Dylan had that ability and admire that from a non-musical perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:23:03 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Ronct:
mmmm....mmmm....mmmm..... :)
http://youtu.be/8W0BPpuj5ks
(LOL!)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:22:46 PM PDT
H&L says:
Oh ok, I was just trying to get a funny in:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:17:12 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Ronct:
i think the mumbling stage may have had something to do with his accident....he seems more articulate now, than he did then....
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:16:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 1:27:27 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
I was referring to a post by James......I think it was his post you meant, not mine....he said he liked the song better than the book (referring Bernard's post regarding his love of the book, "Tom Sawyer")
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:14:41 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Ronct:
no, it's all good.....these discussions instill "passion", and "passion" is always a good thing....
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:13:21 PM PDT
H&L says:
Joyce here is some more information on the song.

Taupin's lyric refers to a time in 1969, before John was a popular musician, when John was engaged to be married to his girlfriend, Linda Woodrow. John and Woodrow were sharing a flat with Taupin in Furlong Road in the East End of London, hence the opening line "When I think of those East End lights." While having serious doubts about the looming marriage, John contemplated suicide. He took refuge in his friends, especially Long John Baldry, who convinced John to abandon his plans to marry in order to salvage and maintain his musical career. As a sign of his respect and gratitude for Baldry, Taupin wrote him into the song as the "someone" in the title, and also as "Sugar Bear".[2] Some radio stations banned or altered the song, due to the use of the words "damn it" in the second verse.

In the liner notes to the Deluxe Edition of Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy, writer Paul Gambaccini related a recollection from producer Gus Dudgeon. During the recording of the song's lead vocal, Dudgeon said he was pushing Elton for more in terms of his delivery of the vocal, not paying attention to the lyric. Also in the control room, Davey Johnstone, according to Gambaccini, leaned over and told Dudgeon, "You know he's singing about killing himself." Dudgeon was apparently mortified by the revelation and relented.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:12:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 1:24:20 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Ronct:
"see, this is our major difference in a nutshell....."
i think another major difference is your feeling that the beatles are only so popular because of their "music", which excludes, for the most part, the lyrics! "do you really believe the Beatles music is still so popular because of the lyrics?" Yes, I do, as they are popular because of their "music", and that music is their "songs", and their songs contain "lyrics"! Without those "lyrics", the songs would not BE "songs"! Although it is true that in their very early days, their lyrics were not very complicated, i would not, by any stretch of the imagination, call them "lame"......in later years (my fav period, personally), I LOVED them, and I would say that in their middle to late period, they became GREATER because not only did their music blossom, but their lyrics EXPLODED!!! Lyrics are NOT a "gimmick", but are an integral part of a song....one that you can NEVER discount, and one that can NEVER be excised, without ruining (or "butchering!!) the entire "whole" that is a "song".....
(it's fine though that you think that, but i vehemently disagree!)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:11:27 PM PDT
ronct says:
LOL!!! Is it really "lie la lie"? I guess I hear what I want to hear and disregards the rest! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:09:10 PM PDT
ronct says:
LOL....see I saw the Rolling Thunder Revue and thought Dylan had more of a vocal range live than what was heard on his recordings. I saw him again in the late 80's and we all had no idea what he was saying. He could barely talk since he was mumbling so much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:06:16 PM PDT
H&L says:
I like some of their songs and a few albums but I was never a big fan. I will just making funny with Joyce by bringing up Rush because I know she ment Mark Twain.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:05:41 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

Yes! a lot of valid points and I truly believe and understand what you and others have been saying. I occasionally hear a song and the lyrics do touch a spot in me. Songs like "In My Life" and "Yesterday" are very touching but I like that the Beatles kept that to a minimum as a group. This discussion should have stopped many posts ago but I was enjoying the life coming back into the thread. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:05:30 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
thanks for the informative post....I always thought the song was written about someone (a girl) he did, in fact, marry, but it didn't work out (probably because he had other genders in mind), and they eventually divorced.....his long time "friend", Renata.
no???
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:04:37 PM PDT
H&L says:
Joyce,

Bingo, you got it, I mean songs from Casey and the Sunshine Band whch is mostly about going out dancing and having a good time, If an artist feels good about that topic and wants to express it in their music then that is alright with me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:01:28 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
they can't "slow the rhythm" down.....
the rhythm is gonna get you!
http://youtu.be/3A7CVrBFC7M
the rhythm is gonna get you....the rhythm is gonna get you.....the rhythm is gonna get you.....the rhythm is gonna get you TONIGHT!!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:59:15 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

"great lyrics are the difference between a great song, and an AWESOME song!"

See, this is our major difference in a nutshell because for me it is the opposite. I believe great music and vocals lift a song to awesome status. Do you really believe the Beatles music is still so popular because of the lyrics? I find that hard to believe as I find most folks to be attracted to the musical compositions, performance and vocals. I hear little chatter out there about the Beatles lyrics and on several threads I see reference to the Beatles lyrics being attacked (as lame) all the time. I don't agree because for the most part they had the sense not to weigh the music down. There are a few Beatle songs that have very "touching/meaningful" lyrics to me but for the most part I enjoy that they kept them simple and more universal (which I admit also adds to their on-going appeal). I like that the Beatles stayed with the "older style" of songwriting. I believe because of this they have remained a favorite with each new generation. They didn't need to use gimmicks with lyrics or styles and relied on the music they made to be great. John and George changed in approach over time but Paul stayed true to himself. In later years, it seemed John & George were reverting back and their music was once again breathing and more refreshing, IMO. We all hear things differently. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:58:07 PM PDT
H&L says:
Joyce,

The John-Taupin songwriting partnership is interesting. Someone who is not part of the band writes all the lyrics and the melody maker, singer and the artist of the band writes the melodies to those lyrics. While lyrics became more important in the 60s, it was the Elton albums that I would take notice and read the lyrics because I felt they had a Literary flair the match the melody perfectly. Yes Someone Saved My Life Tonight is a great match up of lyric and melody. The album is is off of Captain Fanstastic is a theme album about Elton and Bernie rise from unknown to the ones that came and eate up your town. Now SOmeone Saved My Life Tonight was written after Elton Became a superstar so Bernie wrote the lyrics from the standpoint of not knowing that fame and furturne would come to Elton with the line paying your HP demand forever to a dominating queen. So as the story goes Elton was saved from an engagement which would have resulted in an unhappy marrage. Poor girl, if she knew about what was in store for Elton, she would have married him, ones he made it to superstar then take him to the cleaners. Ha ha.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:57:44 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence (and Ronct):
re: a love of Dylan's voice
me too!!!! It is unique and different and AWESOME, but that's just me.....(LOVE BOB!)
love,
joyce
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  109
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions