Customer Discussions > Music forum

NOT A LIST BUT- The First Recording you ever Purchased. Period.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 451-475 of 479 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:27:16 PM PDT
Snowblind says:
Johnny Winter - Still Alive And Well.In Johnstown Pa

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:34:37 PM PDT
A cassette tape of Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth," which I bought from a music store called Sam Goody, at a shopping mall called Seven Corners. Neither that store nor that mall exist anymore, but I still have the tape!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:49:18 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
The first record, a 45 on vinyl , that I can really remember owning, (That wasn't a disney movie or child's record) was Elvis Presley, Burnin' Love. I had to be about 10, so I'm sure my parents must have taken me to the store, though I don't actually remember it. My best friend's mom was a big fan. And at the same time I remember having "Brother Louie" by The Stories (I had to look up the group it was so long ago I didn't remember). But I remember the song and the 45 , and thinking it was the coolest song ever!

And then albums on vinyl, a year or two later it was Paul McCartney and Wings, Venus and Mars, and Elton John's greatest hits. I do remember buying the Venus and Mars album, at some big resterant and shopping area with my parents. I also remember around the same time, I must have been about 11, or 12, thinking the song "Midnight Special" was just the best song I'd ever heard! I loved that song, and there was some T.V. show I think, or radio station that I would hear it on, but I cannot remember what show ! I didn't even know who it was by, however I looked it up and CCR does that song, but I'm thinking someone else did it also . I do remember seeing CCR on T.V. when I was young enough to have a babysitter, and thinking they were All That and then some!

But the very first heavy metal, or whatever you want to call it - Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic. That was IT for me!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 9:04:51 PM PDT
Severin says:
The first 2 45s I bought were 'Signs' by the 5 Man Electrical Band and 'Sweet Hitchhiker' by CCR. I don't know what I was thinking then. First albums were the Patridge Family's first 2 albums. Those were followed by the Beatles red and blue compilation albums.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 12:30:02 AM PDT
Jimi jac says:
"Journey Through the Classics" The London Philharmonic orchestra (I think)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 2:38:52 AM PDT
P. Ferdinand says:
My first cassette was probably Kill Em All by Metallica.

My first CD was Queen Greatest Hits (the blue one) at Costco after I got my first stereo with (gasp) a CD player! And my dad (tight wad) actually paid for it. I was so excited. I still have it.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:54:31 AM PDT
Geezerguy says:
The Monkees, Johnny Cash's Greatest Hits, Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits, Hank Williams Greatest Hits, Meet the Beatles, Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison, and The Who Live at Leeds were all purchased at about the same time. Can't remember which was actually purchased first. I'm thinking The Monkees may have been the first.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:03:19 AM PDT
widowTink says:
The new Disneyland soundtrack "it's a small world" in 1967. I coveted it for a year until our annual family vacation to the park where I could buy it. My parents got VERY tired of the constant playing of THAT record!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:11:55 AM PDT
I think the first recording I ever purchased was Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine but I'm not 100% sure.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:19:48 AM PDT
Timot-Rex says:
Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 7:21:36 AM PDT
My first ever record was a 45 - Could It Be I'm Falling In Love by the Spinners. My first LP was The Beatles Second Album (loved Roll Over Beethoven). Both of these about 1973.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 4:26:56 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Boy Named Sue/Johnny Cash

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:20:20 AM PST
gusula says:
I was in my early teens when I first really got into music. I remember setting a crappy old Sears cassette tape recorder next to the radio in my bedroom and taping shows like The King Biscuit Flour Hour, which often played newer albums from cover to cover without commercial break (imagine any commercial radio station doing that today!). Some of my favorite albums that I captured this way were Sammy Hagar's "Standing Hampton" and Jethro Tull's "The Broadsword and the Beast" (funny, but I recall scrambling for a blank tape when they announced the evening's album offering, so I usually missed at least the first song on the album. So it was always interesting to pick up the full album years later at a music store and "discover" what the full disc actually sounded like).

When I was finally ready to start plunking down some serious lawn mowing and movie theater janitoring cash on actual albums, what would become a lifelong obsession with buying recorded music began with my membership in what was known at the time as the Columbia Record and Tape Club (how nerdy is it that I still remember my membership number?) -- 10 tapes for a penny, plus an extra three for a vastly reduced price, and all I had to do was buy 8 more over the next two years at regular price. I don't recall all 13 albums I picked up through that deal, but I do remembering ordering albums by bands that I wasn't all that familiar with, but that I often heard friends talking about at school: Rush's "Exit Stage Left," Kansas' "Vinyl Confessions," Aldo Nova's first album, The Police's "Synchronicity," Men At Work's first album, a greatest hits collection by the Grateful Dead, April Wine, John Cougar's "American Fool," a little Molly Hatchet.... After all these years, these are still some of my favorites -- thanks, Columbia Record and Tape Club!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:44:42 AM PST
dragonfly says:
It was a 45 rpm See See Rider by The Animals.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:45:29 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Who: I Can See For Miles b/w Mary Ann With the Shaky Hand

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:51:07 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Please Please Me by The Bayhtuls on 45 disk spinning listening pleasure for my 8 yr old ears.I probably would've went a different route in life with out this tune.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:29:26 PM PST
I was eight years old and out with my parents. My mom went with me into a record store called Hall Of Fame records. I asked for I Started A Joke by the Bee Gees but they did not have it. My mom said, pick something else. The only thing I could think of was Neon Rainbow by the Box Tops. I still have that same single for sentimental value and I still think its a good song.

Posted on May 11, 2013 4:41:26 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
At a flea market in 1974 I bought the 45 by The Beatles: Help/I'm Down and it cost me 25 cents.

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 11:04:24 AM PDT
zoom zoom says:
KEEP IT GOING!

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 11:17:24 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I don't know if I've posted on this old thread before but the first I bought was "I Want To Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There" in Feb '64. I bought my second record several days later, MEET THE BEATLES.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2013 11:18:10 AM PDT
MyRidesHere says:
Johnny Cash's Greatest hits when I was a wee 9 yrs old.

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 8:04:54 PM PDT
The Wizard says:
There Goes My Baby - The Drifters - (45 RPM)1959 I think....

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 4:58:55 AM PDT
a customer says:
sugar and spice (searchers) at the 7/11 for 39 cents

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 9:23:12 PM PDT
zoom zoom says:
It's been awhile... anybody else want to add to this timeless discussion?

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 10:14:15 AM PDT
Derek W. says:
Tom Dooley - Lonnie Donegan, on 78 RPM
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

ARRAY(0xa57cd780)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  365
Total posts:  479
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2010
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions