Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Recording acts who quit too soon.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-70 of 70 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:16:00 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Here's one more...The Alice Cooper BAND!!!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 8:11:09 AM PDT
Darth Wader says:
Definitely The White Stripes. Even though Jack White has his side projects (solo, Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather), the White Stripes broke up in 2011 and it seems like it was because Meg didn't want to play anymore. Even though Meg White isn't a technical drummer, there was just something special about those two together making music. The White Stripes will be missed for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 8:53:54 AM PDT
Vivazappa, I second Genesis with Peter Gabriel and I would like to add Steve Hackett. I also like Rockpile and Supertramp and Dylan/ Rolling Thunder.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 12:14:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 12:22:07 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
The Beatles (due to senseless quabbling)
Badfinger (due to tragic mishandling by management)
Phil Ochs (due to mental illness and alcoholism, as well as disenchantment with society)
The original, five man line-up of the Byrds (due to egos, drugs and Gene Clark's fear of flying while on tour)
The original line-up of Love (due to drugs and Arthur Lee's refusal to tour)
The Jam (still can't figure out why)
The Talking Heads (due to David Byrne's ego)
The Raspberries (don't know the reason)
Rockpile (too much drinking lead to too much fighting between Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 6:18:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 6:20:58 PM PDT
Micaloneus says:
5 recording acts who quit too soon:

Deep Purple (the classic mkII lineup)
The Crickets (with Buddy Holly)
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Lovin' Spoonful

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 7:01:55 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
RE: The Jam
It was Weller's ego, thinking he couldn't do the limp white soul jazz with Rick and Bruce. It's still his ego hobbling a full blown reunion to this day.

I'd also like to add to this list: The Clash (due to Bernie Rhodes' reinstatement as manager and Joe's cowardice in the face thereof (Don Letts called him that first, folks. Don't kill the messenger.) Mick had the tunes and both Terry Chimes and Pete Howard were fine drummers in their own right being able to pick up where Topper left off due to his heroin addiction. Can you imagine what they would've done if they kept the triumvirate of Mick/Joe/Simmo going?)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:41:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 5:48:03 AM PDT
S. Stalcup - yes, it would have been interesting to see how the Clash with both Jones and Strummer would have progressed, especially as the UK in the mid-late 80s (and the world in general) should have provided even more political grist to Strummer's mill than the 70s/early 80s did. I've not heard the Big Audio Dynamite material that Strummer contributed to so I wouldn't know if that would be any kind of indication. One good thing is that although the Jones-era Clash recorded legacy looks slender on paper with only 5 studio albums, they still released enough studio output to fill about 10 vinyl albums which is going at a pretty clip for a period of about 5 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:04:39 AM PDT
Scott Duett says:
Should people who died count?

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:05:45 AM PDT
Scott Duett says:
Blind Faith

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:36:56 AM PDT
stevign says:
In a word, no. I was thinking about that too but "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" did indeed break up and Mitchell and Redding replaced.

"The original group held together long enough to fulfill their existing engagements, culminating in the Denver Pop Festival on June 29, 1969. From the stage, Hendrix made the infamous announcement: "This is the last gig we'll be playing together". The original Experience was dissolved." ~ Wiki

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 12:21:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 12:23:30 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
S. Stalcup and S.C. Harrison,

I loved the Clash, but firing Mick Jones from the band was a mistake of enormous proportions. Jones provided the pop sensibility to balance out Joe Strummer's more extreme political rantings. Firing him from the band was almost the equivalent of what it would be like if the Stones fired Keith Richards.

I also feel that the Clash's greatness is mostly based on the high quality of their first three albums and the singles they released during that time period (roughly 1977-80). In my opinion, 'Sandinista !' should have been a single album (or double at the most), and 'Combat Rock' was a mixed success with an equal number of strong and weak tracks. As far as 'Cut the Crap' is concerned...well, the title said it all !

They never seemed to be able to truly follow-up their masterpiece 'London Calling' with another great album. But they remained a fantastic live band right up until the end of the Mick Jones era.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:10:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 3:10:48 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
I'm in agreement with you completely, Robert. I think back to grade school and which did I listen to more? The Sid and Nancy soundtrack or This is Big Audio Dynamite? Answer: Mick's group. Pity that it took the former John Graham Mellor hindsight to realize, in his words, "talent's worth waiting for" even if said talent does come off like "Elizabeth Taylor in a filthy mood."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:10:50 PM PDT

Cream split up because Bruce and Baker detested each other.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 4:14:58 PM PDT
Severin says:
Mark, I was writing based on a quote from Clapton. It was probably in his autobiography which I can't find at the moment. He said he read an article in Rolling Stone which stated that Cream was over-the-top soloing and it struck him as true. He determined to leave the group at that point. No doubt there were many reasons, I just read in Ray Coleman's book "Clapton!" that he wanted to play blues and stop the virtuoso soloing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 4:31:29 PM PDT

Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek and the Dominos, Solo. Not a lot of blues, mostly pop. He obviously changed his mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 4:44:00 PM PDT
Severin says:
Yeah he drifted a lot, quit a lot of bands for various reasons. He seemed to stick to the blues in concert though. He once said he wanted to be remembered as a songwriter and not as a guitarist. I don't think that's gonna happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:33:31 PM PDT
stevign says:
He should have said "I wanna be J.J.Cale for awhile". ;~)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 4:08:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 4:14:12 AM PDT
The Police. I would have loved to have seen more albums by The Police. The 5 studio albums they gave us were all brilliant.
The Faces. I like the 4 albums they gave us and would of liked more.
Van Halen W/ David Lee Roth and original lineup. What could have been after 1984 album if they all had gotten along.
The James Gang W/ Joe Walsh. I love those 3 classic albums with Joe.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 4:14:35 PM PDT
Robert Kutz says:
I would have liked to hear more music from R.E.M. I know thirty years is a long time but I am the same age and I'll miss them.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:39:29 AM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
#1 IMO:
Dire Straits

The Band (Original lineup)
10,000 Maniacs (Lineup intact from In My Tribe through Eden)
Simon & Garfunkel (Even though BRIDGE would've been mighty tough to follow, these men could do it)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game - Part II ... 10 songs where... 7685 1 minute ago
Favourite Female Artists 2166 2 minutes ago
Anyone else think heavy metal is overrated? 146 3 minutes ago
Worst concert Audience 38 3 minutes ago
A great album followed by a terrible one 91 9 minutes ago
Dylan fans get ready: Bootleg Series Vol. 12 - The Cutting Edge (1965-1966) 111 11 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Four) 1155 12 minutes ago
Audiophiles Unite! The best sounding CDs. It's not about the music. It's about the sound quality of the music 1052 22 minutes ago
The MUSIC of Our Lives _ version 4.0 6432 32 minutes ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4799 47 minutes ago
Musical Diary 559 53 minutes ago
What's the first thing you think of when you hear "Mick Jagger"? 16 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions