Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Music forum

John, Paul, George & Ringo : 50 years after their first recording sessions...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:17:21 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Joyce

Nice new photo!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:18:20 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bonnie:
Hey! So glad you made it.....so glad you made it...... (welcome!)
:)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:20:02 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
yeah....a bit! i was kinda zoning out on the way home, as it is a long and boring drive back, but as soon as things began to get familiar again, i snapped out of it!
hope you had a great day yourself!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:22:22 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
thanks!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:25:10 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Joyce

I saw Fleetwood Mac on the Rumours Tour. I started out up in the balcony, but endd up in front of the stage in reach of Stvie. I thought of reaching up and touching her leg or foot, but then I had the image in my head of her falling. lol! That would have been a memorable moment......for both of us.

:-)

It's the only concert I can remember that felt more like a party than a concert. I spent the whole concert roaming through the crowd. It seemed like everyone I knew was there. Kenny Loggins was the opening act. It was right after Loggins and Messina broke up, and he was still great. Needless to say, Fleetwood Mac was awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:27:00 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Joyce

I hate long boring drives. Music usually helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:31:16 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
it sounded like you had a great time! I love to "wander" around, just talking to whoever.....dancing a little bit (or a lot!). It seems like that used to be possible at concerts, but now (at least around here, anyway), they stop you now, if you try and do that, and send you back to your assigned seat.....i don't know....it's almost like everyone is more paranoid than they used to be, you know?
I do really like FM, but i find i cannot listen to SN sing for too long of a time, because her voice starts to get to me.....i do like her, but in small doses.....i do like her clothes though! especially the flowing black ones!!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:32:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 8:33:03 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
yeah, but it wasn't my car, so it was "country", which i don't listen to, in general....didn't know hardly ANY of the songs, as it was "current" country....oh well, what are you gonna do, right? lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:39:06 PM PDT
ronct
I love the early music. It's my car driving music, and her in LA that's alot of driving.
But just the mention of side 2 of Abbey Road makes me so emotional. I can't just "put on" that cd, I have to be ready for it. The complete beauty of it is beyond any description I could genuinely put into words. It's pure emotion, feeling of helplessness surrounded by true hopefulness. It makes the think I understand why composers such as Bach could reach such heights of extacsy, and the Renaissance and Baroque eras could produce such soaring architecture/sculpture.
The Beatles did Abbey Road because they had to fulfill a contract. Did they have any idea then what they had done? I don't think so. But the fact that it was just business as usual for them has gone on to become some of the greatest music to ever be written of any era in history.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:39:13 PM PDT
stevign says:
I think so too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:47:11 PM PDT
Michael
I remember reading a quote from George "I just wanted to be succesfull, I didn't want to become famous". And you Michael, said it all.
They were succesfull and fame and fortune blew them out of our world and to one that will never, ever happen again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:47:28 PM PDT
stevign says:
One with Alzheimer's?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:48:18 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bonnie:
i know exactly what you mean! the last time i listened to it (AR), i was in my car driving a fair distance, so had a bootleg of Abbey Road in the cd changer....by the time it got to the end, i was in tears, it was so great, and so emotional for me! i remember thinking how awesome they truly are, and that both John and George, although they had perhaps not made the best choices (who does??), could and SHOULD be so very proud of all they had accomplished here.....they left behind music like THAT, and it is probably the greatest "gift" to everyone that they could have given....(btw, i am not mentioning Paul and Ringo, only because they are both still "here", and are not yet having to contemplate their lives here, and what they accomplished)....
I do think they knew it was a great album, even when they did it, and know they were all quite pleased with how it turned out.....
truly an awesome album....truly an awesome group......
thanks for the post!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 8:49:18 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Stevign:
you are just too funny! lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:10:49 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Joyce

I dont usually listen to music in my car unless it's a cd. None of the radio stations play enough music I like to make it tolerable for me to listen to for long. I can tolerate a station that plays oldies(not classic rock, there's a difffernce) for very long.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:14:38 PM PDT
Re: early vs. middle vs. late periods

I love them all, truly. Each period was beyond magical. However, I will say this--the group started out in 1962 as an astoundingly great act, and only got better from there. So in general I tend to prefer the mid and late-period material a bit more than the early stuff, not because the early stuff isn't great--it's *magnificent*--but because the later stuff was *even better*. The group just did not go backwards, as the talk of "Abbey Road" here proves. Who knows what they would have done if they'd have stayed together into the 70s--I'll bet it would have been a very different decade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:16:19 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I love ABBEY ROAD, but not just side two. If anything on the album feels emotional for me, it's "I Want You(She's So Heavy)".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:25:45 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I dont usually listen to music in my car unless it's a cd. None of the radio stations play enough music I like to make it tolerable for me to listen to for long"

I'm with you Hinch, even NPR's Jazz station here has what I would call "Top-40 Jazz.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:26:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 10:10:23 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Glad to see the new thread is going well. We've also given the "no" vote trolls something to do in their spare time, bless their little hearts. It looks like they have a lot of spare time. If they're gonna take the time to give negative votes, they could grow a backbone and at least post a comment saying why. I guess they have nothing to add to the discussion, so it's sorta hypocritcal.

What do they do? Is it a team of trolls who take turns watching various threads? I posted a comment on a different thread a few minutes ago, and it got what seemed to be an instantanious "no" vote.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:37:37 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
you are right...i didn't mean that it was only side 2 that was emotional for me....only that side 2 ended the album, but to me it was emotional from the beginning, and continued to build, until the "climax", which was the end of side 2....that's when the crying began...it was just such a beautiful piece of work...the whole album..."i want you (she's so heavy)" is intense..for sure....
http://youtu.be/gg1TTx0XEsM
an awesome vocal by John, and amazing guitar, amazing bass.....my fav part is when he screams at around 4:28......(at 4:33, there is a pic of John, and he looks dead on like an old boyfriend i had in my mid twenties, whose name was also John, played and sang in a rock band, was so funny, smart, spontaneous.....very strange....it actually did not register to me that he looked just like John, until it was pointed out to me by my girlfriend at a party...i know it sounds impossible that i could miss something so obvious, but i did...i swear!)
anyway, i completely agree, and love the song....actually, love the whole album!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:41:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 9:43:22 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dearest Hinch:
i also get "automatic" and almost instantaneous "no's", so there must be a way you can do it, without actually having to go there or be there to read the post....whoever it is are more computer savvy than me.....i don't think it is the content of the post...whoever it is has just taken a "dislike" to me, you, and perhaps a couple of others, because it shows up immediately....doesn't matter what is posted, whether it's on topic or off, or whatever....
i have stopped even looking....i have trained myself to not even look in that direction, so i couldn't even tell you what my own posts say. whoever it is, it is just not worth it to me....if they want to do it, so be it....
love,
joyce

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:49:53 PM PDT
The nice thing about the no-votes is, since *everybody* in the thread is getting them, no-one has to feel singled out! By going overboard with it, the no-voter(s) are actually negating their own votes...I wondered what anybody could possibly find offensive about my post, but now I realize it has nothing to do with me, it's just some guy(s) who are blanketing the entire thread. So it makes it that much easier to ignore them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:53:02 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Michael:
i hadn't noticed, as i had stopped looking long ago, but at first it was just me, Hinch, Cody, and i believe that was it...i guess they have expanded their horizons then...oh well, believe me when i say that it is "pointless" to even get upset about it....been there, done that.....there isn't anything you have said or done wrong....believe me.....
thanks for the post though, and the "update"! lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:53:30 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I know what you mean by "emotional". I love both sides. It's an awesome album!

It's funny. I was just thinking about younger people who have only heard ABBEY ROAD on cd. Many may not think of it as "side one" and "side two".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 9:56:21 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
this is true....it's all relative!
love,
joyce
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions