Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: #1 of many great bands

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7626-7650 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 29, 2012 6:22:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 6:24:00 PM PDT
H&L says:
Well some sad news,

Heaven may be a better place tonight but hear on earth we lost one of the great ones, Doc Watson the great folk and bluegrass musican:(

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/05/folk-music-legend-doc-watson-dies/

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:22:49 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:24:11 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
You wouldn't fall flat on your knees if he walked up to you after a performance? He being 21 and you being 18?
Yes you would. :}

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:59:06 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

(kind of a scary thought, isn't it????)

Depends....LOL!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 7:02:55 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Joyce, the remixed Lennon CD's came out between 200 and 2005-more or less. They all came out individually. POB was the first to be released with DF.
(the latter not a remix but a remaster) and the rest followed. The remixes were done by Peter Cobbin. While Walls and Bridges, Rock and Roll and STNYC had some tracks remixed and others only remastered, POB, Imagine and Mind games were completely remixed. The sound is, in a word, phenomenal on all the CD's.

I had a feeling that the remasters in the Signature Box would never equal the quality of the remixes but I wanted to have it for posterity-I thought it was importanr to have the ORIGINAL mixes in the best sound possible. Unfortunately, that's not how the Signature Box turned out-not to my ears, anyway.

For me, then, the remixes is the way to go for the best sound on John's post-Beatles material. To add to "it", I seeked out the Japanese mini-Lp CD remixed versions which are superb downsized exact duplications of the original full sized album cover-art (down to John's face on the Imagine Cd just like the original LP).

Incidentally, the Working Class hero compilation CD is of the Cobbin remixes. In this case, if it's strictly a Lennon "best-of" you're after, that's the one to get in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:10:08 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence and All:
that is sad news....
believe it or not, I saw him live at Lincoln Center in a free outdoor concert, at one of my "precious few" trips there. the date was August 24, 1999. it was a warm summer night; my favorite thing in the summer in NY....i don't remember all the songs he sang, but when he sang this one, i recognized it as a song that Crystal Gayle did a "cover" of....I didn't know he sang it, but found out that night. I adore the song, and used to sing it a lot myself at home, so i was pleasantly surprised.... here it is:
http://youtu.be/DL0xWGJ8hNQ
and here is Crystal Gayle's cover...I will sing along with her, as i am posting, and maybe, wherever Doc is right now, he will hear me:
http://youtu.be/dpXY1ZixbpU

I've got to tell you I've been racking my brain,
Hoping to find a way out.
I've had enough of this continual rain,
Changes are comin', no doubt
It's been a too long time,
with no peace of mind,
and I'm ready for the times to get better.....
You seem to want from me what I cannot give.
I feel so lonesome at times.
I have a dream that I wish I could live;
it's burnin' holes in my mind.
it's been a too long time,
with no peace of mind,
and i'm ready for the times to get better....
it's been a too long time,
with no peace of mind,
and I'm ready for the times to get better......

Dear Doc...hope your times are finally going to get better!

love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:10:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 8:13:40 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear EF:
probably...(but not on my knees)....
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:11:29 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Ronct:
oh wow....ok...if you say so...i will have to take your word for it...
:)
LOL!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:29:14 PM PDT
ronct says:
Joyce,

That is what happens when our idols age. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:02:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 9:05:51 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Pete:
thanks for the name you mentioned before, and the information.... I have "working class hero", and I think i may have most of the Peter Cobbin remaster/remixes...have to read the backs...i thought they were mostly nearer to 2000...so between 2000-2005 or so, but I will pull them all and look, as they don't always say on the descriptions online (amazon and other sites)....
btw, I know i have the POB and WAB ones, but i will have to check the rest...I believe I also have the "Live In Toronto" Japanese Import and a couple others....stuff gets spread out all over the place, and sometimes it's hard to know what you have and what you don't, but I think at one time I had pulled them all, and dumped them all onto my iTunes library, so I believe i still have them all set aside...
thanks again!
love,
joyce

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:26:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 9:27:06 PM PDT
Hello All:

Check out the verse about the first time the author heard "the boys" in this article from The Montreal Gazette. Like a "jolt of lightning". Still true.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch/entertainment/story.html?id=6697563

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:27:47 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Tim:
Hi, Tim! Hope you are well!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:42:44 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
presumptuous.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:43:53 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
Elvis 45s in the 50s when I was 5 or 6 years old. Yeah right.
C'mon make it believeable hinch.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:44:30 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
It doesn't matter what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:52:04 PM PDT
Gary L says:
Actually Joyce, the fly was interviewed on the Tonight Show in the late '70's and evidently it was all done with video tricks: They were all actually the same fly but some had been made up to look different. A cost-cutting strategy.
But then you can never be sure, it may have been a publicity stunt. The fly later auditioned for The Fly remake with Goldlum but didn't pass the audition b/c of some union dues flap.
(couldn't resist)

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:54:26 PM PDT
Gary L says:
Hinch, I remember that Prince performance on Arsenio Hall. It was the time Patty LaBelle said that he rarely eats and then quipped, as Prince took the stage, that "he's probably hungry now..."
And Prince only performed, didn't engage with the other folks outside the band. Was a serious performance as I recall it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:54:32 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
Why? Nothin' to do but wait ? you must have been in the back woods waiting for someone to cut you timber for the stove.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:55:11 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Gary:
oh, okay....i see! Silly me...I thought it was lots and lots of different flies, and instead it was a "trained fly"...like one of those "t.v. flies"....
thanks for letting me know the truth! that was one talented fly! they don't make um like that anymore!
love,
joyce
:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 12:18:02 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Joyce

Thanks! I worked almost 10 hrs tonight, but I volunteered. We had a lot of orders after 3 days off, so I wanted to finish tonight . Hopefully we wont have as much the rest of the week.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 12:20:53 AM PDT
Hinch says:
M Jones

After thinking about it, I may have Prince's Arsenio Hall performance on vhs somewhere. I used to tape a lot, and have forgotten a lot of what I have.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 12:23:08 AM PDT
Hinch says:
If I'm not mstaken, McCartney had one of the first 2 or 3 Mellotrons ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 12:29:53 AM PDT
Hinch says:
H&L

Doc was one of the best guitar pickers ever.

R.I.P.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 12:36:20 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Doc Watson "Deep River Blues"

http://youtu.be/qyQOCJ4SUSk

R.I.P. Doc

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 12:37:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 12:39:20 AM PDT
Hinch says:
To quote you; "It doesn't matter what you think. "
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  109
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions