Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:11:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 26, 2012 1:34:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:29:57 AM PDT
banga-patti smith
some nights-fun.
florance & the machine-ceramonal

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:40:02 AM PDT
Severin says:
Jim McG: Yet we're stuck with radio stations that play the same kind of music all day long.

Right, DJs have been replaced by programmers from corporations. I listen to a wide variety of music including the occasional classical piece. I see no need to be a snob about it saying that everything non-classical or jazz is crap. A violin concerto is much like a guitar solo. I listen to whatever I'm in a mood to hear. I just played an early Tangerine Dream album "Rubycon" and now I'm listening to Cat Stevens' "Footsteps In the Dark, Greatest Hits Volume Two." Classical music can be very dry and the form is often restricted. It doesn't move me like a lot of pop or rock music.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:03:44 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
What a pretentious thing to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 12:24:44 PM PDT
Donald J. Nelson said: "Classical music can be very dry and the form is often restricted."

The Correct One says: What do you mean by "dry"? Oh, and the form is the exact opposite of restricted. And do you have any reply to my other response to you?

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:42:14 PM PDT
I still haven't returned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 12:55:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 1:29:18 PM PDT
Are you sure? Join us again :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 1:30:50 PM PDT
Severin says:
I agree that because a rock group uses instruments doesn't make it classical music, I never said that it did. What I'm trying to get across is that the divisions are not so cut and dry. My first hearing of Holst's "The Planets" was an electronic version by Tomita. Is it still classical? The group Bond uses electrified violins and such, they play classical selections but I'd still call them pop. And rock/pop artists have written classical pieces. Emerson, Lake & Palmer often played classical pieces such as "Pictures From An Exhibition" and Keith Emerson has written his own piano concertos. I'm just saying that the lines are blurred and there's no need to be so closed minded about music.

As for classical music sometimes being dry it's true, it's cold and dry. I tend toward the romantic period but also like Mozart. A friend of mine thinks Mahler is the be-all, Mahler is the opposite of dry but I find a lot of his symphonies unlistenable. I don't find his musical jokes funny.

The restriction I referred to is the exposition/development/recapitulation and what key you're supposed to move to next. This is why the Beatles didn't want to learn to write music, they were far better not knowing the rules.

Saying, "Progressive rock is a subgenre of rock music," doesn't address my point that prog rockers use classical forms and write very complex pieces of music. Not all rock is the same, some of it is intelligent. Don't just listen to the lyrics of Led Zeppelin. Try some Yes or Jethro Tull. If you like jazz then try mid-'70s King Crimson or any of the rock fusion bands.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:45:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 2:01:42 PM PDT
Well a rock arrangement of a classical piece is no longer classical music because it takes on a different style. It's the style of the music that matters; not who plays or writes it. A rock musician could most certainly write a classical piece. However, just because a classical piece is written by a rock musician, it doesn't make it part rock music; it would still be classical regardless of who wrote it because of the style of the piece.

Also, a lot of the popular genres are hard to define because, as you said, there is a lot of blurring and mixing between them.

EDIT: Can someone please explain how this has gotten 8 "no" votes? I didn't say anything offensive. I was just explaining something.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:54:04 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Bottom line is that rock music, or even pop music, can't be considered a lesser form of music. You may like classical and jazz more than anything else, and that's perfectly fine. But music encompasses more than the type of instruments or tools used.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:08:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 2:25:02 PM PDT
GarionOrb,

I agree that neither is "better" than the other; they are just different. Art music and popular music are just so different that it's hard to even compare them to each other.

EDIT: I see that the mob came and they all clicked "no" for this comment. What on earth is wrong with it!? Please explain.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:13:09 PM PDT
S. Rice says:
The Correct One says: Can someone please explain how this has gotten 8 "no" votes? I didn't say anything offensive. I was just explaining something.

Maybe because you've been coming off like an elitist d-bag for 4 pages now, and people are sick of you but people don't feel like debating your "art music" nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:15:32 PM PDT
S. Rice said: "Maybe because you've been coming off like an elitist d-bag for 4 pages now, and people are sick of you but people don't feel like debating your "art music" nonsense."

The Correct One says: Please explain how it is nonsense. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:34:28 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
The Correct One says: "Please explain how it is nonsense. Thank you."

This is how.

The Correct One says:
"Here's what I listen to:

Classical: 95%

Jazz: 5%

Crap: 0%"

And I can tell that you agree with that assessment since you went back and edited the original post to remove the "Crap" part. People see a post like that, made by someone calling themselves "The Correct One", and they immediately think "pretentious" and "elitist". No one likes that kind of person.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:38:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 8:46:30 PM PDT
Well, by "crap" in the original post, I meant that I don't listen to any crap. I didn't mean that everything except art music is crap. There is definitely some good popular and folk music too. I edited it because people took it the wrong way, just as you did. I'm sorry if it caused any misunderstanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:27:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 4:41:54 PM PDT
Although this topic of the importance of music genres is entirely subjective, I personally feel that musical genres are here to stay. For the purpose of taking a stance on this debate, I believe that genres help a new listener easily acquire their tastes in music and allow them to find artists of similar sound quickly.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:42:23 PM PDT
I recommend this as a good read about genres: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/the_importance_of_genres_and_scenes

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:32:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 4:32:48 PM PDT
The only time I listen to terrestrial radio is during bad weather or other hazardous situations in order to find out info about things such as school closings or warnings of some type.

When nothing bad is happening, most of my radio listening is internet streaming (soft AC stations).

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 8:46:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 8:47:00 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
The "NO" voters are out of control.
How can anyone vote "NO" when each person is putting down what they listen to.
If it ain't what you listen to it's wrong???

Bite me "NO" voters!

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 11:27:57 AM PDT
Keith West says:
One Mic Demos

Definitely check out One Mic Demos by The Co-op.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 4:51:11 PM PDT
I don't think I'm ever coming back.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 6:23:04 PM PDT
Folk Rock (British) ~ 41%
Cajun Slamgrass ~ 9%
Jam Bands ~11%
Folk Rock (USA) ~ 7%
Un-Cool Jazz ~ 4%
Progressive Jug Music ~5%
Traditional Country (pre 1950) ~ 3%
Romanian Yodeling ~ Minus 6%
Young Tubas in Love ~ 2%
Birds (no Bluejays!) ~ 4%
Two Hounds Barking & Howling ~ 2%
Classical ~ 3%
Rock ~ 5%
Chainsaws ~ 1%
Faux Punk ~ 2%
Pop ~ 1%
My Wife ~ 6%
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions