Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Favourite "Bad" Album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 193 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:50:24 AM PDT
Timot-Rex says:
Trompe Le Monde & Bosa Nova - Generally regarded as the weaker Pixies recordings. Uneven and and maybe a little filler material ... but their filler songs were better than other bands good songs.

Guided by Voices - Under the Bushes Under the Stars. Some reviewers thought this was a ho hum effort. It has a few of my favorite songs by them. "Man Called Aerodynamics" is simply killer not filler!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 8:23:40 AM PDT
Timot-Rex says:
The Stranglers were not just dismissed by critics but vigorously despised. What fans they had gravitated to the early stuff: "No More Heroes" and "Rattus Norvegicus."

While I like those I also liked (with qualifications) the albums that followed. Each of them have a mix of very good to very bad songs. If you cull the good tunes from the following you can make a very good mix CD.

Black & White (highlights: Nice & Sleazy, Toiler on the Sea, Curfew)

The Raven (highlights: Baroque Bordello, Duchess, Shah Shah A Go Go)

Meninblack (silly concept album? highlights: Two Sunspots, Second Coming, and I want to recommend Just Like Nothing on Earth but the gremlin-ish background vocals ruin it. Better "live" versions are available. Waltzinblack is a good tune to play as you hand out candy on Halloween.)

La Folie is a full on pop album and is probably my favorite. Highlights: Non Stop, Let Me Introduce You to the Family, Pin Up & Golden Brown.
Recent editions of this CD contains the great bonus single Cruel Garden/ Strange Little Girl.

Feline has slim pickings.

Aural Sculpture redeems them a bit. Highlights: Skin Deep, No Mercy, Uptown, Spain, Laughing

Dreamtime - Not much to recommend as the decline begins. Highlights: Always the Sun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 9:15:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 9:17:11 AM PDT
Micaloneus says:
> Roll The Bones thru Clockwork Angels - they [Rush] started to get back to a guitar-based sound

At the time (1989), Presto was said to be a return to the guitar-based sound; and I agree with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 9:28:32 AM PDT
Fischman says:
Which is proof that there's more to the music than just the sound--most Rush fans prefer heavier guitars yet Presto is consistently rankes at or near the bottom of the Rush catalog.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 2:57:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 1:14:00 PM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Bob Dylan - "Good as I been to you" / "World Gone Wrong"

At the time these records were a little confusing, considering what a prolific songwriter he is.
But the influence of the albums can certainly be seen on records like "Time out of mine", "Love & Theft"

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:37:52 AM PDT
TC says:
U2 - No Line On The Horizon. It's really one of my favorites of theirs.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 10:50:11 AM PDT
1.King Crimson - "In The Wake Of Poseidon"
2.The Beach Boys - "L.A. Light Album"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 1:15:01 PM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
"Baby Blue" is worth the entrance fee alone.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 2:12:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 2:14:16 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
the Alice Cooper's group first album Pretties for You is is fine by me.I've listened to it enough that I can really enjoy it.
But whenever I have a household full of people who have overstayed their welcome, I put it on and turn up the volume.After 2 songs the house is claer

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 5:54:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 6:05:35 PM PDT
Human Touch........ Bruce Springsteen 1992
Emotional Rescue...... Rolling Stones 1980
Back to The Egg...... Paul McCartney 1979
Electric Mud............ Muddy Waters 1968
Dylan & The Dead..........Live Bob Dylan & Grateful Dead recorded 1987 released 1989

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 8:13:44 PM PDT
Nowhere Man says:
The Rolling Stones -- Between the Buttons
Pink Floyd -- Atom Heart Mother
Paul McCartney -- Wild Life

For the first two, I don't care that Mick Jagger and David Gilmour respectively dismissed those albums in some interviews -- as for the critics' opinions, they do not matter AT ALL -- I listen to them quite often.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 1:47:10 AM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Re: Atomic Heart Mother

When I brought this album I thought it would be unlistenable, but it turned out to have some great melodies. Plus the thing with these types of albums, is that there full of obscure songs, that haven't been played to death.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 4:41:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 4:41:50 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I too enjoy Atom (or Atomic) Heart Mother...
"If" and "Fat Old Sun" are excellent tunes as well as the title track!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 4:20:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 4:20:59 AM PDT
I love Atom Heart Mother - it's got a nice summer-like vibe running all the way through it. Even the title track sounds hazily bucolic in places despite the experimental aspects. The four songs on side 2 work well together and anyone who can't imagine the smell of bacon and coffee wafting through the speakers on Alan's Psychedelic breakfast must have a peg over their nose! In a way this album heralded the end of Pink Floyd's innocence, so let the sunshine in!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 4:54:48 AM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Re: Atom Heart Mother

It's strange how the band have completely disowned this record, perhaps they should listen to it again.
Oh, I've just brought a "Atom Heart Mother" T-shirt, because of these discussions! (Although I Have to keep explaining to people, why I've got a picture of a cow on my T-Shirt!)

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 7:53:07 AM PDT
Genesis: Trespass
Badfinger: Ass (agree with the other person)
Dire Straits: On Every Street
Fleetwood Mac: Bare Trees
Yes: Yes
Beach Boys: Holland
Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother (a fav of mine)
Roxy Music: Flesh and Blood

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 9:48:17 AM PDT
Giselle Gzda says:
I like two albums, very much, that are often disparaged by not only critics and other fans, but by the respective artists themselves. Still, finding much airtime in my Itunes playlists are:

Morrissey: "Kill Uncle"

and

Throwing Muses: "Hunkpapa"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 2:26:10 PM PDT
I bought the three lp Metal Machine Music for $1.00 and thought I was ripped off

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 10:50:39 PM PDT
ampola says:
Sonic Youth- The Eternal

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 2:28:01 AM PDT
N. Ying says:
Todd Rundgren - The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect (1983). Rundgren himself said that this album was an exercise in producing an album in the quickest time possible (just to fulfill a contract). Consequently, many of his fans dismissed this album as well. But it has always been one of my favorite Rundgren albums (I have the LPs and CDs of all his official releases). I personally don't care whether the artist wrote and recorded a song in five minutes, five days or five years. If the song is good, then the song is good. A genius is a genius, and Rundgren is certainly one. This album is actually his dabble at synth-pop - one of the popular New Wave sub-genres at the time. The first three songs alone rival the best works that he has ever written. There may be a couple of fillers, but the rest are very listenable as well.

Background happenings also affect how many fans view the White album. It is, however, my number one favorite Beatles album. But that's another story ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:58:58 AM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Jimi jac - re: "the band have completely disowned this record".

Thankfully, not completely! Gilmour's latest live DVD (Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall)(which is absolutely spectacular all around BTW) he does a version of "Fat Old Sun" that will blow you away. I think it may actually sound better then the original studio version. He does a few others from the very early Floyd catalouge also (Echoes, Arnold Layne, Astronomy Domine, Dark Globe, Wot's...Uh the Deal). And if the songs and performances weren't enough, the video and audio quality are among the best I've seen from any live DVD (and no, I am not a paid Amazon sponsor!) :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 8:18:42 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
Life Magazine - September 24, 1971 - The Jackson Five Rock Stars at Home with Their Parents

1972 Jet Magazine - Michael Jackson Makes It Big Alone (March 16, 1972)

Sheesh, how old were you? If you were old enough to have one of LaToya's LP's you surely had access to one of the above.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 9:00:22 AM PDT
I may have overlooked some things but off the top of my head here are 10 albums I believe the critics panned.
1) Mardi Gras-CCR- I know CCR fans who hated this album and the critics ripped it to shreads. But I like it. Two great John Fogert classics, Someday Never Comes and Sweet Hitch Hiker. The other songs are less Creedency and more like decent country rock. If CCR were not the group on these songs, would they have been more accepted? Maybe.
2) The Soft Parade-The Doors-Of all the Doors studio albums they NEVER made a bad one including The Soft Parade. Yah, I know this is not what the Doors are supposed to be but there are some great songs here, Runnin Blue, Touch Me, Wild Child, Tell All The People.
3) Time-ELO-The last great ELO album. I like it as much (maybe better) than New World Record. Catchy Beatlish songs and a staement about technology.
4) Acid Eaters-The Ramones-I was surprised I lke this myself but I really did. A great choice of songs.
5) Double Fantasy-John Lennon-It was said hat Lennon's death was the only reason this album sold so well and there is SOME truth to that. But the critics said his songs about domestic bliss was a great big bore as if Lennon was not allowed to be happy. Yah, it's no Plastic Ono Band or Imagine but it's where Lennon was at and there are some great melodic tunes and lyrically feel good songs here.
6) The Byrds Reunion Album-Many reunion albums never live up to expectations but it does not mean they all suck either. As reunion albums go this is a good one.
7) The Music Of Bob Dylan-The Hollies-I'll agree Blowin In The Wind was truely bad. But the rest of it was quite good. I usually like Dylan better than his covers and no exception here but Dylan's songs allow a lot of room for other people to do their own thing with and the Hollies do this well, better than they were ever given credit for. Nash included.
8) Atom Heart Mother-Pink Floyd-The last great Pink Floyd album was Dark Side Of The Moon. Everything after that was a drag including the much loved The Wall. I'll take Atom Heart Mother over that and anything else since Dark Side. I will also take it over a few pre Dark Side albums as well. I don't know why the band members dismissed this album. Did the critics really hate it that much?
9) Back In Line-Steeleye Span-Well after the groups peak but the last great album they made. Critics complained they sort of lost their sound/roots. It is less traditional but not so much so that the group had lost it's way. Better than most 80's music. Among the best Steleye albums. If you like Steeleye Span, check it out.
10) American Dream-CSNY-This album was torn apart by the critics but I thought there were some really good tracks here, especially Neil Young's songs.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 4:57:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2012 5:01:50 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Stephen:

I'm with you on Mardi Gras, The Soft Parade, Acid Eaters, Atom Heart Mother and American Dream!
Time is decent and the last worthy ELO record.
Double Fantasy has excellent Lennon tunes...as for Yoko, I like her "Sometime in New York City" warbling better.

And the Doors NEVER made a bad record...well except for the two after Jimbo bit the dust...or did he?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 5:41:14 AM PDT
vivazappa,
You have excellent taste. I agree with you about the 2 Doors albums made after Jim died. And I DO believe he died. One of those albums had a song called Get Up And Dance that was decent but that was about it. I don't like many of Yoko's songs. But I liked Sister Oh Sisters on Sometime In New York City.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 7747 27 minutes ago
Song Game - Part III 9379 30 minutes ago
The "Musical Genius" club - who's in? 32 1 hour ago
pete t tommy acoustic 1 1 hour ago
Johnny Thunders wants to know what you've been listening to. 4371 6 hours ago
A Matchup of Epic #1's : Don McLean's "American Pie" or The Beatles "Hey Jude"? 43 6 hours ago
What are you listening right now? 2998 6 hours ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 5016 6 hours ago
Stephen Stills Box-set 9 7 hours ago
If you could hang out with any band or artist, who would it be? 25 7 hours ago
"Artist" (just one!) that makes you wanna puke 389 7 hours ago
Real bad albums with some absolute cracker songs so good you had to buy 12 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  193
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions