Customer Discussions > Music forum

Were The Monkees The Last Remaining Group Of The Sixties?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-155 of 155 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 4:46:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012 10:40:54 AM PDT
take403 says:
I liked the movie, too, but it took 2 watches to really get comfortable with it. I think it should've been released in the summer just as Season 2 was drawing to a close- "And by the way, if you liked that, you can see us on the big screen in Head!" There still would've been scratching heads and disappointed fans, but people would've come to see the Monkees. Also, the commercials should've featured the Monkees. I remember being a little put off by the that silly carpet like sweater Micky wore. Also, his hair was curly in the 2nd season and when asked he said "I just decided to let it grow." Then Davy and Peter started wearing beads and nehru jackets and Mike traded his wool hat in for floral neckties and shades (and if you notice, his speaking voice goes from low tenor to high baritone due to a tonsilectomy). But this was after all the 1960's and they were more hip to fashion and culture by then.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 12:38:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 12:39:35 AM PDT
It's just amazing how well the Monkees' music has stood the test of time. To me, it doesn't sound dated at all. It's still fresh and inspiring. Perhaps it was a combination of all the great musicians and songwriters who contributed to the end results, but you also had a fantastic singer in Micky Dolenz and one of the true godfathers of country-rock in Mike Nesmith. I've been listening to them a lot since the late Davy Jones' passing, and they were a damn fine group that were FAR from bubble-gum (even though they were billed as such at the time). They were pop at its best. So many great songs. It's especially evident if you listen to their stuff and compare it with other so-called "manufatured groups" like the Partridge Family, just as an example.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 1:08:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 1:16:35 AM PDT
Billo321 says:
Blood, Sweat & Tears, the name and library, was bought lock, stock & barrel by Chuck Negron from Three Dog Night, if I'm not mistaken. None of the original members remain. Talent auditions may only specify being able to cover the early hits.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 8:21:11 PM PDT
Hinch says:
wow! Very cool!
Is he a regular member now?

Too bad the other two wouldnt let him back in Three Dog Night.

It would be cool if BS&T would be a big hit again, and he turned the other 2 Dogs down if they wanted him back. lol!

Blood Sweat and Tears - "One"

http://youtu.be/DpDkLx2yjbc

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:35:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 1:29:59 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I found a post from 2010 on another website that said Chuck performs sometimes with his own band and sometimes with BS&T. It also said he had recorded 2 new songs. I'd love to see him live. I've seen 3 Dog Night many years ago with the original band. I also saw them a couple of times since Chuck left. They were still a good band.

Chuck went from the top with Three Dog Night to drug addiction, being broke and living on the streets. Good to know he's made a great recovery.
Your reply to Hinch's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  155
Initial post:  Feb 29, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions