Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Van Halen rumored to play at 2013 Super Bowl...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2012 8:01:54 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
After the Black Eyed Peas debacle the rumor has it that Van Halen is next. The sponsorship switched from Bridgestone to Pepsi and Pepsi wants more say in picking the band.

NBC, Pepsi and Eddie have hinted they are going to play.

I hope so. Van Halen may not be one of my all time favorite bands but it would be an improvement. Plus Dave won't look like a deer caught in the headlights like poor Roger Daltrey did. I love The Who but their halftime show was not as good as it should have been.

Bummer alert: I bet the play "Jump"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 9:05:01 AM PDT
I don't know if Dave could still hit the high notes but they could get some younger backup singers like Brian Wilson and Roger Waters have done to help match the old sound. If this rumor is true those first 6 Van Halen albums might have a huge temporary bump in sales. The generation under 30 needs to discover that Zeppelin, Floyd, and the Who aren't the only arena rockers that deserve to be remembered.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:28:10 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I'd rather have the Who back...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 9:42:09 AM PDT
Since Moon and Entwistle are dead, Townshend is practically deaf, and Daltrey is missing a full octave of notes that those 1970's songs required of him, it's really rather useless to talk about a Who performance. The Who were only at their absolute peak in the studio. Bad Company is the one I would like to see do a superbowl show. Paul Rodgers sounds better than he did in 1975. Steve Hackett of early Genesis is another guy who sounds as good as ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 10:17:16 AM PDT
J. Coco says:
...and I bet "Dancing In The Street" and/or "Dance The Night Away".

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:17:43 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Missed opportunity. They should've played the Super Bowl in Indy. Homecoming gig for Dave.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:42:59 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Wouldn't it be nice if they played:
Mean Streets>
Sinners Swing>
One Foot Out the Door

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:48:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 11:49:02 AM PDT
alysha25 says:
"Hot for Teacher" LOL

It has to better than Madonna, or The Who.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:41:16 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
With all due respect, I saw Roger Daltrey in Oct 2011 on his "Tommy" tour and he MORE than did the material justice. I passed on an mp3 recording of the show to a friend and he just had one word: "Wow." If Pete joined him on that tour and/or if they toured Quadrophenia now (as they have discussed doing), it would be fantastic and sell a truckload of tix. Re, Towshend he's had impaired hearing for decades, but it didn't stop him putting on a helluva show the last time I saw The Who (2000).

>>> "The Who were only at their absolute peak in the studio."

You kiddin' me here or what? The Who built their reputation in the U.S. as a live band long before the records started selling in any serious numbers. They were then known as one of THE penultimate live shows to catch from 1969 on; they were actually BETTER when I saw them more recently (2000) than when I saw them when they were much younger (1982).

I guess their Super Bowl gig wasn't particularly well rec'd, but I dug it. I'm of the opinion most people who diss it either weren't fans to begin with or just do it because it's not "cool" to think such an old band as The Who can still deliver. They're not "hip"! But.... I know I liked their set better than the STONES a few years prior, but that's me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:50:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 12:52:47 PM PDT
The "Hot In Cleveland" quartet will be supplying background vocals.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 1:09:23 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
zlh;
Agree...The Who are often considered the BEST live act...or at least they are high up in any discussion.
Roger's tour was fantastic! He played The Blue Red and Grey for goodness sakes!!
I too enjoyed the Super Bowl show but I think it was a little on the stale side for them.
Roger even felt so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 2:47:31 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Ouch, Thomas. Not sure if you hurt something on that, but I know I did. (Forum, if you're scratching your collective head, it's funny for two reasons: 1.) They're older women and 2.) One of them is Eddie's ex-wife and the mother of their bassist Wolfie (aka Lumpy Rutherford's stunt double).

I salute you all the same, Mr. Corpino.

Mind you, I still find Wendie Malick and Jane Leeves a bit of alright.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 3:21:21 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Yeah, not that I thought The Who's Super Bowl show was any career highlight by any means, but I guess neither did I get all the negative comments that followed. I've seen several of the bands that they had in recent years (Petty, The Who, U2, Springsteen, Prince) in their own concerts in an arena and none of 'em were as good in the Super Bowl setting as they were if ya pay to go see 'em. Limited time, so-so sound, the added pressure/distractions, etc. By the time they're warmed up... show's over!!

But I didn't think the Who came off any worse than any of these other bands. My opinion though and I do seem to be in the minority (again).

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 4:30:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 4:36:45 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
You're right, I've never been a "Who" fan, but I'd love to see Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli ;o) ! I think that would be Great having the whole Hot in Cleveland quartet sing Van Halen backup!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 5:03:58 PM PDT
J. Coco says:
How about a "Fair Warning"-only set?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:48:26 PM PDT
VH would be a huge improvement over the acts of the past few years. The Springsteen halftime was epic, IMO. I love The Who and agree that their half time show was good but not great. They have made their legacy, playing live shows. With all this talk of VH, I pulled out their debut cd and put it in the player!

Set List

Runnin With The Devil
Eruption
You Really Got Me
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:04:45 PM PDT
Too bad its too late for Heaven And Hell to play the Super Bowl. Van Halen would be a good choice if they dont play Panama, Jump and Hot For Teacher which is probably what they will play. Sabbath w/Ozzy wouldve been a good choice but, they cant seem to get their act together.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:43:12 AM PDT
T. Boyle says:
VH will cancel the day before and Harry Connick Jr. will step in at the last minute.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 7:52:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 7:54:53 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
zlh:
I go with Petty/MIKE CAMPBELL for best halftime show ever!
Check out the solo on Running On a Dream...Campbell at his underrated best!

Bruuuce was GREAT too...especially the opening of 10th Ave and the powerslide into the cameraman!
He should have played anything but Dream...I know...it was the new record he had to promote.
I would have liked My Lucky Day or Surprise, Surprise instead...

coco:
I got your Fair Warning setlist above ;)

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 7:57:00 AM PDT
TC says:
Van Halen is perfect for the Super Bowl.....and I said so on other forums here many times in the past.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:35:35 AM PDT
J. Coco says:
I'd love to see them bring out their special guest: Chickenfoot.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 1:04:30 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
Or maybe Dave could sing "I Can't Drive 55"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:53:55 AM PST
A. Strong says:
It's November...Any updates on this rumor?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions