Customer Discussions > Music forum

Device authorization

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 117 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 7:21:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 7:22:20 PM PDT
Alan J says:
For the first time when purchasing music, I had to go through a device authorization process, in which I was told that I could only download a album I just bought on up to ten devices. I've never seen this message before. It used to be, I'd be an album, then it would download immediately while adding it to my cloud player. Has there been some weird change I don't know about? I've ordered at least 3 albums a month from Amazon for the past year and a half and I've never seen this before.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:36:20 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
Personally ,I avoid the cloud player, download it directly to media player on my computer, and then burn it to a CD-R disc ASAP. If it's on a disc, or even media player , I would think there's no way it could know how many devices it could played on. As if I would put it to more than 10 devices anyway?

I did download a song yesterday and noticed it went directly to cloud. I had to re-download the amazon downloader, which I Thought I had already downloaded recently. SO perhaps there is some change. Sorry I can't directly answer your question. But I stand by my advice to burn the music to a Physical medium. A CD-R disc is best. Can also use a flashdrive. That way it is guaranteed you have it to keep.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 5:27:06 PM PDT
Joel says:
Yeah, I had to re-download the Amazon Downloader about 3 weeks ago, then I had to do it again TODAY and got those "Device Authorization" messages. I had to "Authorize" my browser, or computer, Im not even sure what was being authorized. Kinda creepy. Just wanted to buy the song. Don't want tracking stuff or authorizations. I understand this is very necessary when using a cloud player. But I'm just trying to get my file, don't want the cloud.

From a customer service chat Im having right now with Amazon-

Manish:Amazon Cloud player allows access from up to Ten devices. This includes different computers and different browsers on the same computer.Manish:Amazon Cloud player allows access from up to Ten devices. This includes different computers and different browsers on the same computer.

Me:Ok. SO the music I download isnt covered, just where I can download from? I can download my music from 10 different things, but once its downloaded the device doesnt have to be authorized?

Manish:Joel , It means that You can use 10 different device for downloading.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:44:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 8:45:46 PM PDT
Vijay says:
I just hit the same re-download and then authorization message EXCEPT their authorization seemed to have forgotten the previous authorization from a few minutes ago! So now I have two (of 10) slots taken up by my laptop. This could be because I just upgraded to their cloudplayer "premium"?? It could also be part of the deal they signed with the labels for their new "iTunes Match"-like functionality? Either way, Lame.

If they are going to require device authorization to download MP3s, I'm sorry but I think I am done buying MP3s from Amazon. Especially if they don't fix this bug and return the extra "slots" ... aaargh.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 10:24:01 PM PDT
Alan J says:
I mean, at the end of the day, I guess it's better to be able to download unprotected MP3s ten times, as opposed to just once, but as far as I knew before I could download as many times as I felt like. It just seems stupid, considering I can simply copy all the tracks to as many devices as I want to. Just a random creepy hoop to have to jump through

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 11:55:32 PM PDT
Joel says:
Yeah, the 10 download devices os obviously not very limiting. It seems, as you said, just a random creepy hoop to have to jump through.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 7:51:13 AM PDT
B L T says:
Who has 10 different devices they can download to?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 9:40:38 AM PDT
Vijay says:
I think my problem is just the fact that it's one more hassle I didn't have to deal with ... and one more thing that can go wrong - for instance, the bug I hit means I cannot download more than 10 different songs (since each download takes up a "slot"). Sure, I can contact customer support, wait for them to fix it etc. but at some point its not worth it, and iTunes or one of the other sites looks much more attractive.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 9:51:13 AM PDT
John Daily says:
The simple fact is that it's a form of DRM...something Amazon swore they didn't do. Does anyone know if, once a device is removed from Amazon, does that space that was taken by it free up also? Here's an example of what I mean: I used to buy games from WildGames. Then I realized, after going through tons of hassle even with games I purchased boxed copies of, that they only allow you to place the games on TWO systems(!). After that, it's as if you never bought it at all. Forget that crap. Now I purchase all my games DRM-free from another site. If this is the "business" model Amazon is moving to, they can kiss my business goodbye, and you should turn away, too.
You'll be surprised at how fast you'll go through those ten slots.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 9:58:10 AM PDT
Vijay says:
John Daily asked: "Does anyone know if, once a device is removed from Amazon, does that space that was taken by it free up also?"

Deactivacting a device frees up a slot after a delay of 30 days. You can simultaneously deactivate all 10 slots once a year.

John's right, this is a form of DRM (admittedly tamer than full DRM) to me, and is quite likely the end of Amazon MP3 for my own purchases. I'm also not sure whether it is legal for them to retroactively impose this on previous purchases, but they seem to think it is. Time will tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 10:11:50 AM PDT
John Daily says:
Thanks for the info, Vijay. I can tell you I've purchased music in the past (Eisbrecher's "Sünde" album comes to mind) that I no longer have access to (although I can see that I've bought it), so I think they've always done this sort of thing, just not on as grand, nor public, a scale.

What bothers me now is that I use my Kindle Fire mainly as an MP3 player. Which means, I'll probably be selling it and buying another device. This one, seemingly small change, has the potential to really trickle into other areas for Amazon.

You're right: It's an unnecessary hassle. I'm now downloading all my purchases to my hard drive. I'll give them until 1 Sept to rethink how they want to do this, then I'm deleteing my Cloud account (pity, because I actually supported them by buying extra space that I never use, as MP3s don't take up any purchased space).

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 10:24:12 AM PDT
Vijay says:
I got an email from customer service about the bug I hit saying "The issue you reported isn't normal" and to call them. I did, and the person who picked up put me on hold for 10 minutes before transferring me to someone else who I could barely hear. That second person took my phone number and said she'd call me back right away, but that call never came. I've sent them another email, let's see what happens.

This is exactly what I mean by "hassle" ... It's just one more thing going wrong that I didnt have to deal with before.

I've asked them to cancel my "premium" membership, and I never really used their cloud storage anyway ...

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:19:19 AM PDT
John Daily says:
Good luck...I can honestly say that I've never had an issue on the phone with their support team, so hopefully that was just a fluke. Let us know how it turns out, please.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 10:09:44 PM PDT
spread the word - twitter, posts, etc - maybe Amazon will change back. I have over 6000 songs, the last 250 or so from Amazon, as I was switching from purchasing from iTunes. However, we have 3 people in our house that share a computer - it's a Mac and all of us have our own logons and iTunes accounts (had AMZ auto-download to iTunes).

I guess if Amazon does not care about people who purchase lots of music (maybe 6000 isn't that much?) then they won't change back. Right now I can download, but the two other people cannot download their music any longer.

Like others said - bye-bye Amazon...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 10:11:27 PM PDT
Yes, I have the same computer taking up two slots under my account, yet the one computer where we have 3 people logging on (diff profiles) locked up the other two when I authorized it.

Amazon Fail.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 3:08:39 PM PDT
Mr Lapin says:
Oh, Mr B, may I please have the mp3 file I just paid for? Pretty please? And could you please hold that tiny hoop still so I can jump through it?

What do you mean, I don't really own this mp3 file? I just paid for it!

Oh, I see, it's not like a CD. The law protects my ownership of a CD, but with your mp3s, all I've paid for is the right to listen to it. I don't own it, I can't sell it, and you can dictate what I'm allowed to do with it.

Thanks for reminding me. I think I'll buy CDs from now on. That way I have some rights.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:41:00 PM PDT
It's absolutely ridiculous they rely on cookies for this. Amazon, you've made my hassle free amazon only music purchase a real bummer. This force upgrade is really unfortunate.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 10:35:22 PM PDT
Tanya - so is there a fix that I can do with the cookies file? I'd prefer just getting my account dis-associated with the Mac computer and re-registering it back to my son. Currently AMZ says 180 days until you can reregister a device.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 11:52:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 12:13:22 PM PDT
Auggo says:
This change is pretty new and I for one am not a fan of it at all! I like it how they use to have it with the customer having a 'CHOICE' of how they wanted to download, & e-mailed Amazon and told them my feelings about it. They said they would take note of it, but they think this is the best way and that customers sometimes don't like change at first. What I don't get is why we 'now' don't have a 'CHOICE' in the matter at all?! Another thing I don't understand is by downloading the 'CLOUD' Amazon now has 'ACCESS' to all of my music! Whether or not I purchased music from them, got it from friends, off CD's, another store, or any other source; they now have ACCESS to "ALL" of it!! Since when did I give 'MY' permission for anyone else to have 'access' to my 'ENTIRE' music Collection? Why do they need that? Could they change their rules in the future and start to 'CHARGE' me access to 'my own' collection? Could they maybe 'deny' me access to 'my own' collection? Just fishy to me. If not, then why can't I have a "CHOICE" if I want it or not?!

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 11:30:39 PM PDT
traderje says:
Absolutely not pleased. Will not buy any more Amazon mp3s. I have zero interest in clouding, suddenly they have decided for me that I will cloud automatically. Not about to ask permission for device authorizations. The former simplicity of Amazon mp3 purchases is why it was the only service I have used for them.

No more. Not unless this goes away. Don't care how hip it is. (or isn't.)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 6:05:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012 6:06:51 PM PDT
Auggo says:
I'm wondering now since this is being FORCED on 'ALL' us "paying" customers even IF we don't want it, are there any other places out there where a person can download from "without" this 'Cloud' thing? Also, for those of you who also don't want this; have you let Amazon know how you feel about it?

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 6:58:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012 7:01:17 PM PDT
B L T says:
The cloud isn't being forced on me. I download all my Amazon mp3 purchases to my computer, make backups on flash-drives, copy all the songs to my wife's computer and then delete everything from the cloud player. My cloud player storage = 0%

I am taking advantage of the Amazon Cloud Drive's (not cloud player) free 5 GB of storage for my 400+ 'best of favorites' playlist I've put together over the last several months. I don't ever want to lose my best playlist and having it stored offsite in "the cloud" is comforting.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 8:48:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2012 9:01:04 AM PDT
traderje says:
It is not comforting to me to have it decided for me nor is whatever nascent infrastructure normalization this means.

Automatic cloud downloading plus 10 device authorizations is a foot in a door.

It was fine the way it was.

At the very least the customer should have the choice.

Completely unacceptable and I will NOT buy any more with this system.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 9:01:00 AM PDT
B L T says:
Currently, I still have a choice whether or not to use the cloud; it's not decided for me, not yet anyway. The days coming when new computers won't have storage capabilities and all of our files and programs will be stored in the cloud.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 9:01:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2012 9:04:20 AM PDT
traderje says:
Have you purchased an mp3 lately? It is a new policy and system.

And what you have to put up with from governments or corporations is exactly as much as you will tolerate-- this day or any other.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1416 2 minutes ago
the Isley Brothers discography thread 177 6 minutes ago
Playing "Higher or Lower" With Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums : The Clash's London Calling (#8) 67 15 minutes ago
Glen Campbell or Jimmy Page and why?? 29 2 hours ago
The Distortion of Sound. 105 2 hours ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 1685 2 hours ago
the beatles white album 1968---the who tommy 1969...double lps.. 56 4 hours ago
Heaven And Hell with Ronnie James Dio----Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard Of Ozz 1980.. 42 4 hours ago
The Collection: GIrls' Names In The TItle 298 5 hours ago
Lies Told In The New Jimi Hendrix Film, Which Portrays Him As As Violent And Abusive 40 5 hours ago
Audiophiles Unite! The best sounding CDs. It's not about the music. It's about the sound quality of the music 349 7 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2458 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions