Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Any additional info on the upcoming Elton John box?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 6:13:47 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Can someone help out with this....what's the Classic Album Collection about?? I know that it's a boxed set of the first five albums due to be out next month...are these newly done remasters or is it just a repackaging of the existing ones??

Also...someone mentioned on the radio today something about a remixed GYBR coming out.

Anyone know anything further about all this?

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:46:47 PM PDT
Bernard J. says:
Does it include the soundtrack 'Friends'?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:38:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 12:07:52 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
DK,
These Classic Album Collections are generally a mixed bag. They're USUALLY current remasters (not necessarily the newest). The individual titles come in cardboard sleeves inside a generic-looking-but-at-least-not-hideous slipcase but DON'T replicate gatefolds/inserts like Japanese mini lps do. But they ARE cheap and take up little space. For EJ I'd go for the SACD 5.1 Hybrids (most, but not all of the early catalog). They're still cheap on Amazon, and the 5.1 mixes (e.g. Madman Across the Water; Captain Fantastic...) are very nicely done.

UPDATE TO POST

I'm now realizing that you're asking about a different series: The Classic Album Selection. I have two in this series: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN and SIMON & GARKUNKEL. These are better than either the 'Original Album Classics' or 'Original Album Series' releases, and comparable to the Sony/CBS 'Complete Album Collection' series. The remasters SHOULD be the most recent, but the packaging is still a (big) notch down from Japanese mini lps. For example, 'Born to Run' in the Springsteen box is NOT a gatefold as it should be. Even with its limitations though, the packaging still beats the wretched life out of the so-called 'jewel case' format any day...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:26:11 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Bernard, no. It's of the complete albums starting with Elton John through to Don't Shoot Me..this is all I know at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:38:42 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
onsekuma, if the remasters are, simply, the "most current", then I don't see the point in bothering with this. Like I said, I have to do more research or wait till more info becomes available (it's actually due for release July 2).

We've sort of been over the japanese mini Lp thing before...they are, truly the best out there as far as album cover reproduction. If there is no actual new remastering done in this set, I'd sooner get the Japanese versions of the present remasters (which have been around for a while and, actually, do sound quite good).

By the way, the S and G have never been updated remastering wise-at least not since the intital Cd releases...even the most current re-issue of BOTW is not newly remastered.

...but my biggest question as I am a remix fanatic if it concerns a favorite album...what about GYBR???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:58:40 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Hey Pete, do you mean Simon & Garfunkel have never been remastered? They have had at least 2 CD reissues. The last batch around the time the Old Friends box was done. The initial CDs by them were terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 7:36:38 PM PDT
Bernard J. says:
OK.
I keep thinking the album is out of print, not on CD. I could be wrong there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:18:07 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
DK,
The late '90s EJ remasters were excellent. Seriously though, you've GOT to hear the 5.1 SACD Hybrids (including GYBR); the mixes REALLY bring the music to life!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:46:27 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
DeeZee..they never improved after the Old Friends box.

onsekuma..I have to check out the SACD hybrids by EJ..but first i want to see what these "new" ones are all about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:54:06 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Pete, I don't think they needed any improvement after those remasters. They sound great.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 1:58:06 PM PDT
Working Man says:
It's currently available for pre-order from Amazon UK

Elton John's Classic Album Selection (1970-73) box set is comprised of five of the music legend's most influential and critical acclaimed albums: Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, and Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:58:52 PM PDT
I've bought a couple of the "Original Album Classics" series by various groups. It is a similar type of "box set", comprised of five albums by a group or artist. They can be a great introduction to a band you never previously bought any of the albums by. I purchased the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Soft Machine sets. Very reasonably priced. I don't think the Elton John one will sell very well because practically everyone has the first five EJ albums already, and remember...you get nothing extra. No booklets, no pictures, or lyric sheets...just five cds housed in mini-LP replica album sleeves housed together in a single cd size box.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 7747 11 minutes ago
Song Game - Part III 9379 14 minutes ago
The "Musical Genius" club - who's in? 32 58 minutes ago
pete t tommy acoustic 1 1 hour ago
Johnny Thunders wants to know what you've been listening to. 4371 6 hours ago
A Matchup of Epic #1's : Don McLean's "American Pie" or The Beatles "Hey Jude"? 43 6 hours ago
What are you listening right now? 2998 6 hours ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 5016 6 hours ago
Stephen Stills Box-set 9 7 hours ago
If you could hang out with any band or artist, who would it be? 25 7 hours ago
"Artist" (just one!) that makes you wanna puke 389 7 hours ago
Real bad albums with some absolute cracker songs so good you had to buy 12 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions